Glass Bedding Removal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    This may be a dumb question, but I just bought a Remington 700 VLS in 6mm. It is glass bedded and depending on the groups it shoots, I was thinking about maybe taking the stock off and switching to an HS Precision stock. How easy is it to remove all the resin from the action and barrel? I was thinking maybe a heat gun? Thanks

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    The action should not be glued into the stock as far as I know. If the action is adhered to the stock, you may have bigger issues. The stock may need to be cut away from the action. Do not heat the gun above about 200 F, I read that spring temper may be affected. A release agent is normally applied to the barrel and action, and negative space is filled during the bedding process to prevent adhesion. I am very limited in my experience with bedding.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    Well..... depending on what type of beading they used it could be as hard as almost using a chisel, I have seen stocks that you basically toss with everything attached to it. Use a wagners painter heat gun it has two settings 400 and 700 degree's and heat it up, that should take it off.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    I heat guns and froglube them for every build, repair, etc.... don't worry about going over 200 it will not hurt the springs in that gun. I keep packs of wolf performance springs in my gun smith cabinet and I have yet to use one from deformation from heat.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    The action should not be glued into the stock as far as I know. If the action is adhered to the stock, you may have bigger issues. The stock may need to be cut away from the action. Do not heat the gun above about 200 F, I read that spring temper may be affected. A release agent is normally applied to the barrel and action, and negative space is filled during the bedding process to prevent adhesion. I am very limited in my experience with bedding.

All depends on who did it, I mean they make DIY kits and if release agent wasn't used correctly it will be a nightmare. Hopefully whoever did it, knew what they were doing.

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    It's coming from Colorado and I'll have to just wait to see what it looks like. An older gentleman had it and he told me he did it himself, so we'll see how it looks.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    If the older man did it himself and followed the intstructions the glass bed job should not be a permanent fixture with the action just the stock. That being said I would like to know how it turns out if he did not use the release agent then you might be in for a fun ride but instead of heat i would suggest using a freezer the molecular structure of the compounds in the glass bedding actuall separate from the metal at near freezing temperatures but what ever works best friend good luck

Top Bottom