Glock finish durability

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My EDC gun is a Glock 30S that I bought new a couple of years ago. I carry it in a Crossbreed SuperTuck.

I'm kinda surprised to see that after just two years the finish on the slide is worn significantly, down to the bare metal in a few spots.

Doesn't really bother me, it's just a tool and shoots great. But I don't remember my last carry Glock from the early 1990s wearing like that. Did Glock change their finishing process somewhere along the line?

friar8

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I read up on this after buying my newest Glock. The short answer is yes and no.
    Yes: there is an obvious difference in the appearance of the different models. Glock used the Tenifer process on the older guns which was just a brand name for the same process they currently use.
    No: The new process is basically the same as the old and is just as durable.

So basically it is the same process but the final product looks different. Even if the outer finish on a Glock wears off the gun is still protected due to the nitrite treatment of the metal underneath.

From Glocks website:

http://us.glock.com/products/technology

Nitrite Treatment
    All GLOCK metal parts are treated with a Nitration finishing process that optimizes the molecular structure of those surfaces. This progressive technology delivers a high degree of surface hardness, maximum durability, and exceptional corrosion resistance, that provides many years of trouble-free service under the harshest environmental conditions.

ETA: Just looked at the Glock website again and found this:

Surface Treatment
    GLOCK applies advanced surface treatments on major metal components, resulting in slightly less than diamond hardness. This considerably reduces wear and tear on these metal components and makes them corrosion resistant, even when operating in saltwater conditions. The matte black surface minimizes light reflection—an advantage in tactical circumstances.

It looks like the matte finish may have been intentional.

ETA: I am not a scientist/metallurgist/anythingist. The information above is a simplified version of what I was able to figure out when I had the same question.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    FWIW- There is a visible difference between the finish on my G19 Gen 4 and my G17 Gen 4. The finish on the 17 is much smoother in appearance; the 19 appears to be more of a rougher "matte black"-type finish.

The finish on this Gen 4 19 has not held up as well as those on some of my earlier everyday-carry Glocks. I'm sure different holster types, etc could play a role in this, but..... :dunno:

friar8

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There are definitely differences in the appearances of various guns, but that isn't the stuff that gives the metal its corrosion resistance etc. Even will all of the "outer" finish worn off the metal should still be just as protected.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    There are definitely differences in the appearances of various guns, but that isn't the stuff that gives the metal its corrosion resistance etc. Even will all of the "outer" finish worn off the metal should still be just as protected.

Understand....But I can tell you that there is a "contact" spot on my slide (it resembles a scratch where it comes in contact with the IWB holster) that if I do not pay particular attention to (meaning keep it oiled frequently), it does develop slight surface rust.

friar8

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The newer finish is the smoother one. That means that the older finish is the one giving you problems.

To illustrate this I pulled out three of my Glocks from various dates of manufacture to compare finishes. All three Glocks are Gen 3. All were manufactured in Austria.

Glock 26- Test fired 11/24/2004 (rough finish)
    Glock 19- Test fired 9/29/11 (rough finish) -This is the gun I carry everyday. It has several wear spots. The only rust is on the sights.
    Glock 34- Test fired 11/25/13 (smooth finish)

ETA: I used the Gen 3s because OP says he has a 30S which isn't made in Gen 4 yet.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yes, I did get the 19 about a year and a half before the 17. All mine are Austrian, as well.

It's not really a major issue, to me.....After all, I've carried this 19 religiously since I got it- so of course I would expect it to have a little more wear and tear on the finish, anyway. But I do like the smoother finish, if I had to pick between the two. Function & reliability is the important part, though- and on that end, I'm good. :)

friar8

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My point was that Barbarossa was asking about the newer finish while you and I provided examples of the older finish wearing down/rusting.

So the wear on the new finish is not because it is the new finish. It happens on all of them.

Top Bottom