Glock with light problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a Glock RTF model 22. It's had a TLR1 light on it since purchase and has about 3 thousand or so rounds through it. Within the last 500 or so rounds it started failing to feed. The slide just stops on the round and doesn't force it in the barrel. I first noticed it when off hand shooting and thought that maybe I was just lip wristing the weapon. It stopped when I locked my arm out even stiffer than before. But then it started doing it when I was strong hand shooting. Now its about every 3rd round on average. I'm a firearms instructor for my department and I had another firearms instructor shoot it. He had the same problem. We took the light off and it seems to function fine.

We are going to contact Glock, but I was under the impression that any problems concerning the light were fixed with the Gen 3 Glocks. A couple of other shooters in our department had some fail to feeds and we just assumed they were limp wristing. Now I don't know. I think my gun has the most rounds through it of any of our departments Glocks so far and I'm wondering if this is a problem that just takes time to develop.

Any thoughts or ideas Glock people?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Try a new 11 coil magazine spring and a new recoil assembly and see if it does the same thing.

If you are with BRPD let Bubba look at it.
    If you are with EBRSO let Ed look at it.
    If you need a Glock Armorer I will look at it.

Last edited:

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    hmm, not sure who bubba is?

I'll check on ordering the recoil assembly and spring. I'm out of town and away from my Glock armorers book, but is this spring different than the one that comes with the RTF 22 or you just suggesting that mine might be defective and that's a good place to start.

If I remember Glock says ot replace the spring at 7K rounds or so. Does the light cause the spring to wear faster?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Try a new magazine and a new recoil assembly. Look at my previous thread again. What dept. are you with? The older LEO magazines had 11 coils and non LEO had 10 coils. All newer ones have 11 coils in the G22.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With LSU PD. We traded our Sig's for the Glock RTF's. I haven't counted the springs in the mags. But I'm pretty sure they are the new ones. I'm actually a Glock armorer and I've had another look at the gun. Everything seems to be in order. I'll count the springs when I return from vacation to make sure.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    With LSU PD. We traded our Sig's for the Glock RTF's. I haven't counted the springs in the mags. But I'm pretty sure they are the new ones. I'm actually a Glock armorer and I've had another look at the gun. Everything seems to be in order. I'll count the springs when I return from vacation to make sure.

The RTF models will have the newer springs. First replace the recoil assembly and try shooting with the light installed. If that does not work try a new magazine. If you need any parts or assistance let me know.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Try a new 11 coil magazine spring and a new recoil assembly and see if it does the same thing.

If you are with BRPD let Bubba look at it.

yeah we are going through this now.. Bubba and the other range staff have tried different things, and are getting the new Gen4 to replace the older EAU serials

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    yeah we are going through this now.. Bubba and the other range staff have tried different things, and are getting the new Gen4 to replace the older EAU serials

The "E" Series should have been removed from inventory long ago. They are subject to a possible recall from Glock.

Turpin Ta

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula/Covington
    When I took the Glock Armorers course, the District Manager mentioned something about aftermarket lights. If the light uses a set screw that tightens up against the frame, it does not allow the polymer frame to flex the way it should, thus causing FTF and FTE. I will reference my notes if need be.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    When I took the Glock Armorers course, the District Manager mentioned something about aftermarket lights. If the light uses a set screw that tightens up against the frame, it does not allow the polymer frame to flex the way it should, thus causing FTF and FTE. I will reference my notes if need be.

There is more to it than that, a Glock rep. will never blame the gun.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a feeling it has to do with higher friction on the frame rails due to the added weight and lowered muzzle climb.

That makes sense. I'm thinking that Glock put the rails on the Gen 2 and Gen 3's without fully testing the light system or with enough light designs from other manufacturers. Perhaps with only their Glock Light. Now with so many police departments using different lights these problems are starting to pop up all around.

SO, Glock introduces a new Glock with a totally different recoil spring assembly.

I'm a fan of Glocks and love their simple design, but no gun is perfect.

Oh, and to whoever suggested it. The Gen 4 recoil spring assembly does not fit in the gen 3 or older Glocks.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    This is from the Streamlight web site.

So that everyone can see this.

Issues Using Tactical Lights on Glock® Pistols
    Some Glock® .40 caliber pistols, models 22 and 23, exhibit feeding malfunctions, either nose down or nose up (stovepipe), when used with tactical lights. The problems tend to occur with individual guns, with some pistols becoming totally unreliable while other identical, even close in serial number sequence, guns have no problems. Most models 22 and 23 are reliable.
    A sensitive gun may malfunction with any tactical light - the TLRs, the older M models, and even Glock®’s own brand. There is evidence that the problem sometimes develops with use, and may progress until the pistol is unreliable even with no light attached.
    On the basis of testing by Streamlight, we believe the problem is magazine related. It appears that the rounds are unable to rise fast enough for proper cycling. We have observed proper feeding for the first few rounds, consistent failures at mid-magazine capacity, and a return to proper feeding of the last few cartridges in the magazine.
    We have tried both stronger and weaker recoil springs, and compound-action recoil buffers, all without success. Sometimes new magazine springs, either new Glock® or Wolff, will cure the problem. In one case of a pistol which was totally reliable when new but progressed to malfunctioning on every magazine, even with no light installed, we found two solutions which restored reliability, but which might not be acceptable to some users. The first was using 10 round capacity Glock® magazines. The gun will not cycle reliably with 15 round mags with their steeply stacked columns but works flawlessly with 10 round mags. The second solution was a new magazine follower from Brownells®, their part number 069-000-006. When used in a 15 round magazine with a new spring, reliability was restored. However, the follower would not lock the slide open after the last round.
    Ammunition is also a factor with any weapon. Some brands and weights may be totally reliable while others jam repeatedly. Make sure your gun is thoroughly tested with your duty ammo.
    Brownells® is a registered trademark of Brownells®, Inc.
    Glock® is a registered trademark of GLOCK Gesellschaft mbH.

Top Bottom