Good flashlight for tactical shotgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DontTreadOnMe19

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 31, 2011
    Poplarville, MS
    I am looking for recommendations for a good inexpensive tactical flashlight for mounting to my Mossberg 590A1. Currently I have an Ultrafire C2 with a CREE bulb. I have it mounted with a QD flashlight mount. It all attaches to the buffer tube with a NcStar double rail. I have fired the gun with it on and never have had a problem yet. But I don't know how much abuse the Ultrafire can take, since its not a true weapons light. I am looking for a good light for $200 or less. Any recommendations and experience with shotgun lights?? Thanks

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Eotech is coming out with their new IFL shotgun light, was introduced last month, and should be shipping soon, may not be as nice as the Surefire 600 family (I know it is 618 for Remington, not sure the number for Mossberg), but is cheaper

Ike

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    I've used a streamlight TLR1 on several long guns and really love the light. Can be had for 100 bucks if you shop around, just as bright and tough as you need. It's not a shotgun based user interface, but it's familiar since it's on my pistols as well. Surefire is overpriced by a long ways imo. I'll admit I'm a bit of a flashlight nerd, haha. I believe the elzetta is currently the baddest new weaponlight, not sure what they have for tapeswitches and mounts but it can't be hard to adapt. I'm in the market for a new home shotgun, will be going down this road myself here shortly.

g

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    I bought a Surefire dedicated forend from brightflashlights.com, It cost me right at $200. I like it, but it's heavy. Insight has has one as well, but I haven't seen it for sale yet.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I think your advice on this would be useful to others as well. Below is a pic of how I have it setup. What advice would you have on placing the pressure switch with this setup?

20120225_192834_2.jpg

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have pretty long fingers so it's no problem for me to reach it, but your point about uneven pressure is well made. On the thumb side you have no choice but to apply significant pressure. I'm going to try it on the other side and see how it feels and how easy it is to pick it up without looking. Thanks for the insight.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    This is the way to go if you have a pump. A semi-auto is a bit easier to cobble a mount together on. I have my old carbine set-up on my 870 (G2 w/pigtail switch in a Weaver scope ring, on a Weaver short base. Hey, don't laugh... back in the day, that was THE set-up, as folks were still experimenting with white lights on "tactical" weapons). It works, but it will be easily knocked off, and I'm not sure how long it will stay together under full 12 gauge recoil, let alone slamming the slide back and forth. The base is not as solidly anchored as it was on my carbine, due to the shape of the 870's fore-end. A dedicated fore-end is definitely the way to go here.

This. My buddy actually used his 870 in a home defense situation a couple years ago. He had a light mounted to the barrel and things almost went very wrong because of it. The BG was in the dark, and holding the light on him was easy until he attacked. My buddy describes what happened next as a "cluster ****", with his brain struggling between firing, pumping and trying to reactivate the light. He basically ended up shooting in the dark, and barely dropping the guy. He was within a couple feet by the time he went down.

Needless to say, it scared the **** out of him. He immediately bought one of the Surefire forends for his 870, and not long after took it a step further and bought a semi shotty.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    This. My buddy actually used his 870 in a home defense situation a couple years ago. He had a light mounted to the barrel and things almost went very wrong because of it. The BG was in the dark, and holding the light on him was easy until he attacked. My buddy describes what happened next as a "cluster ****", with his brain struggling between firing, pumping and trying to reactivate the light. He basically ended up shooting in the dark, and barely dropping the guy. He was within a couple feet by the time he went down.

Needless to say, it scared the **** out of him. He immediately bought one of the Surefire forends for his 870, and not long after took it a step further and bought a semi shotty.

"semi shotty". Yep. That's the one for me. When the time comes, I want to be fighting the BG, not the gun.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Sorry, I took the "regular length" comment as a hunting barrel length as it seems that there are more remington shotguns used for hunting/sporting purposes. But yes, you are correct that 18" is the norm for HD shotguns. And as Dustin stated, it is in their catalog. I actually purchased it from gmshooter on the board.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I hope that light has an LED; a hot-wire probably won't last long due to the concussion from the muzzle blast.

And why do you have a breaching stand-off on a regular-length 870?

Out of curiosity, why not? Are breaching shotguns supposed to be shorter? Is there a negative effect to a longer one besides maneuverability, or is it just pointless on an HD gun?Honest question here.....

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Mainly this. Also, some of the after-market attachments are produced cheaply and for the CDI/Rambo factor (IOW, without any R&D), and can adversely affect the pattern if they are too "tight".

But since that is a factory item, I would think it would be fine in terms of not gooning up the pattern. That aside, I imagine its cheif purpose (for a non-LEO citizen) is to look cool; and there's nothing wrong with that.

I sure didn't know it was a factory-offered item these days on non-contract guns.

Makes sense. Thanks. And you would be amazed at some of the **** they put on the front of shotguns from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom