Good Samaritan shoots the wrong dog!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    "Always" and "Usually" are pretty contradictory, don't you think?

An un-confined and I'd bet good money un-neutered dog of any type, probably owned by some irresponsible sack of ****, is a great candidate for all kinds of deviant behavior. Spay/Neuter and keep your animals confined on your own property and these types of incidents would never happen!

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    NOOOOOO, say it isn't so! Not the pit. I thought they were all lap dogs, that don't even scratch fleas for fear of hurting one of them :rolleyes:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I dont blame the victim at all, it was not her dog that was doing harm.. even a 50 lb dog can be a handfull when there is another aggressive dog around..

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    So the guy could not tell the difference between a pitbull THAT HAD ATTACKED HIM BEFORE and a bull mastiff, and just decided to shoot the tan dog???? :doh: Too stupid to breathe!

Abh3vol.firemen

unskilled labor expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    houma,la
    it seems animal control didnt do its job.the trailor park i live in has a cat problem.were not allowed to have pets. animal control set a trap but would lock it during the weekend or when it was understaffed.so in a month it was open only about 12 days and it still caught 15 cats but they took the trap saying they werent catching enough.why are cats allowed to run loose but not dogs?cats can be aggressive to:confused:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    "Always" and "Usually" are pretty contradictory, don't you think?

Not really. If given a choice as to the aggressor the pitbull wins. So coming upon an unknown situation the pit would always be my choice to shoot. I'm sorry if that pisses of all the pitbull owners but that's how I see it and how I would react.

http://www.dogsbite.org/newsroom-release-dog-bite-fatality-study-042209.htm

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The beauty of statistics, they can support anybodies argument, but I expect nothing less from an organization whose mission statement says specifically they are against a certain breed. Way to be impartial with your research!

Here is a study that appears to investigate every such tragedy in 2009 start to finish, haven't read through it all since I'm trying to get home from work but it seems a bit less slanted. http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/2009-DBRF-Booklet-FINAL-11.pdf just a quick glance shows the majority to be intact males or intact females, with females pregnant or in heat at the time, and the majority were dogs kept outside of a social family environment chained or kenneled and left to their own devices with no training or interaction. The breed reported initially by the news is often unable to be determined by a Vet. "pit bull type dog" is a broad category, we have a board we bring to events with about 20-30 pictures of dogs on it, only one is a true American Pitbull Terrier. I've only seen one person of hundreds get it right, and she was about to graduate vet school.

Off my soap box, I'm passionate about these pups and get just as disgusted at the trash that have ran their name into the dirt as anybody else, but I'm trying to do something about it

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Not really. If given a choice as to the aggressor the pitbull wins. So coming upon an unknown situation the pit would always be my choice to shoot. I'm sorry if that pisses of all the pitbull owners but that's how I see it and how I would react.

http://www.dogsbite.org/newsroom-release-dog-bite-fatality-study-042209.htm

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

+1 What he said above!:}

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I feel bad for the guy. Unless you're there, its hard to say just how it happened. I'm envisioning three fighting dogs, one who has bit you before, a screaming woman in the mix, and blood everywhere. Hard to make sense of the situation. My goal would be to save the screaming woman, being sure not to accidently shoot the screaming woman. So he accidently shot the wrong tan dog. sounds like it broke up the fight, and the woman was not seriously harmed. Sucks it was her dog that was hit, that's between him and her. I can't judge him for that, and I applaud him for doing more than just calling the police.

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The beauty of statistics, they can support anybodies argument, but I expect nothing less from an organization whose mission statement says specifically they are against a certain breed. Way to be impartial with your research!

Here is a study that appears to investigate every such tragedy in 2009 start to finish, haven't read through it all since I'm trying to get home from work but it seems a bit less slanted. http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/2009-DBRF-Booklet-FINAL-11.pdf just a quick glance shows the majority to be intact males or intact females, with females pregnant or in heat at the time, and the majority were dogs kept outside of a social family environment chained or kenneled and left to their own devices with no training or interaction. The breed reported initially by the news is often unable to be determined by a Vet. "pit bull type dog" is a broad category, we have a board we bring to events with about 20-30 pictures of dogs on it, only one is a true American Pitbull Terrier. I've only seen one person of hundreds get it right, and she was about to graduate vet school.

Off my soap box, I'm passionate about these pups and get just as disgusted at the trash that have ran their name into the dirt as anybody else, but I'm trying to do something about it

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. :)

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Being a Pitt " friend ": is where I come down. not a wild defender but I live with them every day, we hunt them...fix em when we can, break up fights...they are whatr they are, a big powerful dog that dosn't react well to disrespect.

They will however re negotiate if you hit them with enough wood offa good footing.

Lb for Lb though, my last 3 black mouth cur dawgs would send the pitts on a time out.

Breaking up a dog fight to save dogs dosn't include guns. Not at first at least, ya gotta buss em up first...

If the good sam had been able to scattah the mutts he gould have probably seen how to break off w/o shooting

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom