Good Story

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    So I had a friend of mine go down to the coast of Louisiana a couple of months ago and while he was fishing he found a high quality camera in a waterproof case on the beach. Out of curiosity he pulled the camera out of the case to find it was in perfect condition. When he got home he pulled the memory card and found over 3800 beautiful professional quality diving pictures of fish and coral reefs. One of the pictures was a photograph of a passport of a French man. He located the man on Facebook and contacted him several times sending pictures, but never got a reply. In a final attempt he sent him a picture of his passport, then the man replied wanting to know how he gotten all of those pictures? My friend explained he found a camera on the coast of Louisiana.

The man could not believe it. He is a professional diver/photographer and said while diving off of the coast of Cozumel Mexico in 2010 he somehow lost his camera. He requested that the card be sent to him and my friend could keep the camera. He also added that when he is back in the Americas he would take them diving anywhere they wanted. His store was broken into a couple of years ago and he was worried that someone was trying to scam him, but once he got a picture of his passport he knew it was something more.

Funny how things work out sometimes!

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    So is the take-away lesson that we should always remember to shoot a picture of our ID on each new card we load into our camera?

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    So is the take-away lesson that we should always remember to shoot a picture of our ID on each new card we load into our camera?

Maybe! I believe he did that in case he lost his passport while traveling, but not sure about that.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Awesome story!
    If there is a lesson to be learned, I believe it is two fold.
    1. Sure, take a picture of something for insurance. I do that all the time. All my firearm serial numbers for one.

2. Do the right thing. Sure, the guy found a nice camera that no one could ever say he shouldn't keep, finders keepers and all that. But by contacting the owner, he got blessed with a nice camera, gained a life experience and fond memory, and might get to go on the dive of a lifetime.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Excellent story and that is the kind of friend you want to keep!!!! Tell him thanks for doing the right thing and being a good human....Good to hear a good story for a change in these trying times.:bowdown:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Well that proves one thing for sure. I've had to watch a video about marine debris and how it all ends up on San Padre island eventually about 10,000 freakin times. Evidently it's all a lie!!!!

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Excellent story and that is the kind of friend you want to keep!!!! Tell him thanks for doing the right thing and being a good human....Good to hear a good story for a change in these trying times.:bowdown:

+ 1 There are some good people still out there .

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    It does remarkably sound like a "Pelican" Case commercial... I can see it now...

Fade into a wedding on the beach... photographer finishes up and puts camera in his case but gets called away to discuss something with the bride and groom at the last minute.

Tide washes the case out to sea... fade out with the photographer staring out onto the water as the sun sets.

fade into 10 years later a kid on a beach in Florida comes upon the case... opens it and immediately runs home to his mother...

She then takes the camera, reviews the card, sees that it belongs to someone, turns to her computer... smashes the memory card and lists it and the case on eBay to sell to the lowest bidder.

fade to black with one word... "Pelican".

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    It probably was a housing case, not a pelican case. What about it OP? I've got a sea and sea that's pretty impressive. But lost in Cozumel would mean some pretty extreme depths that I would think would crush any commercially available case.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I was thinking a depth issue too. Maybe it's neutrally buoyant?

I can tell you from experience that those setups aren't even close to neutral. I've had three different rigs, last one a housed cannon slr, (previous nikonos and sea and sea) and all of them might as well be anchors. I actually used no weight when diving with no suit with them.

Top Bottom