Got a bow!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    I had shot a bow when I was a teenager because my dad was huge into any kind of hunting he could try. That was 20 years ago tho... Well the urge bite me and after trying some friends bows and researching and visiting a local bow dealerl and trying some others out I knew I had to get one! Well my b-day was friday and my dad asked "Are you serious about some bow hunting?) I told him yep and he surprised me with a huge b-day gift!

A bowtech assasin SD (im short 5'6" with a 25 - 26" draw). It is set at 50 lbs right now and also got me a handful of nice arrows (im new to bows/arrows so forgive me but they say bemen ICS bowhunter 500 7.3 gpi and carbon on them). To top things off he even got me a real comfortable scott little goose release. Now there is some fatherly love if I ever seen it! Now to learn more about archery and work on my form. :wink:

Here is some pics

bow1.jpg

and after I setup a target area you know I shot a bunch!

bow2.jpg

PS the hat was off after 2 shots. Almost impossible for me to aim with it on lol!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    At first you will lose a few arrows then you will split a few. But the cost is the same.

Last edited:
    G

gunguy11

Hey man I looked at your second pic and It looks like your front (left) hand is gripping the bow. When ready to fire loosen it and form a frontward u-shape with it. Will prevent you from torquing your shot.
    Sorry didn't mean to pounce on ya. (:
    Nice bow for sure

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I don't remember how much the beamans cost but if they are around $10, I would recommend getting some cheap practice arrows. There are quite a few different options in the 4-5 dollar range at 7.3 gpi and it hurts a whole lot less losing one of those then a good $10 one. Plus they make great squirrel arrows :D

I would also recommend rage mechanical broad heads. They cut great and fly straight!

justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    Gorgeous bow. I love the assassin. And like already said, try to avoid torquing your shots. I hope you had a slight bend in your arm. String slap is a pita!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Turn to the right a little more.
    Spread ur feet a little more.
    Loosen ur grip on the bow, let ur fingers go slack
    Keep ur right elbow lower. It feels strange at first but it need to stay down

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Hey man I looked at your second pic and It looks like your front (left) hand is gripping the bow. When ready to fire loosen it and form a frontward u-shape with it. Will prevent you from torquing your shot.
    Sorry didn't mean to pounce on ya. (:
    Nice bow for sure
    Ya the hardest thing for me right now is to loose the want to get a pistol grip on it lol.

I don't remember how much the beamans cost but if they are around $10, I would recommend getting some cheap practice arrows. There are quite a few different options in the 4-5 dollar range at 7.3 gpi and it hurts a whole lot less losing one of those then a good $10 one. Plus they make great squirrel arrows :D

I would also recommend rage mechanical broad heads. They cut great and fly straight!
    Yeah not sure if that is what they charge or the actual cost for the arrow and practice heads etc. What exactly is the gpi stand for?

Turn to the right a little more.
    Spread ur feet a little more.
    Loosen ur grip on the bow, let ur fingers go slack
    Keep ur right elbow lower. It feels strange at first but it need to stay down
    Thanks for the tips! I think it the pic Im right at the end of drawing back and it is right before i loosen my grip. The guy at the archery shop showed me how easy it is to torque a shot way off to the side.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Yeah not sure if that is what they charge or the actual cost for the arrow and practice heads etc. What exactly is the gpi stand for?

The arrows are the bulk of the price and the field tip/practice heads are about 3-4$ per dozen. GPI stands for grains per inch and that is very important when choosing arrows. Your arrows need to be the same length and if they have the same gpi they will weigh the same which will allow you to properly sight in your bow.

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    i shoot a bowtech also. Welcome to the team. Really excellent bows.
    Like the other guys said about your left hand, dont grip the bow, just push it away from your body with the part between your thumb and index finger. The wrist strap will keep the bow from falling.
    A tip on arrows, i started off with $8-12 arrows and after losing and breaking a few i would end up pissed not wanting to practice. So i went to walmart and bought some cheap arrows for $3-4 dollars, cut them to lenght and practice with them. When hunting ill use the expensive ones.
    Good Luck and Enjoy the bowtech.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Yeah been doing a lot of online research and realize form is somethign I really need to focus on so I can learn the right things from the start. Probably will go back to the archery range so I can get tips etc from the guys over there.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    i shoot a bowtech also. Welcome to the team. Really excellent bows.
    Like the other guys said about your left hand, dont grip the bow, just push it away from your body with the part between your thumb and index finger. The wrist strap will keep the bow from falling.
    A tip on arrows, i started off with $8-12 arrows and after losing and breaking a few i would end up pissed not wanting to practice. So i went to walmart and bought some cheap arrows for $3-4 dollars, cut them to lenght and practice with them. When hunting ill use the expensive ones.
    Good Luck and Enjoy the bowtech.

+100 As long as they are the same weight (GPI) this is the best thing to do. I used to work at Bowie Outfitters and even with the discount I was still paying around $10 an arrow for my good ones. Hate to say I probably spent well over $80 learning how to shoot :doh:

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Did you get that from Bowhunters? Brandon is a good guy, and he's moving to your side of town, too.
    Yep. Bayouland bowhunters. So far VERY impressed with customer service and to me Id rather pay mroe for great service and local business so Ill be going there a lot more.

I'm getting groupings close to that at 20 yards now that I tuned my sights in. This weekend going to go to my families land (outside pineville in buckeye) and start scouting out deer and hunting spots and shoot some longer ranges to make sure my other pins are set up right also.

You know the past few years I was losing my interest in hunting and last year I didnt hunt at all (partially due to not to many spots to hunt locally ) but this year now that I got the bow Im excited as all hell! Can't stop thinking about hunting!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom