Got a resident raccoon. What to do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Hi all. As I'm living in a country area now, I'm going to have more of an interaction with critters I've never had to worry about since moving here. Judging by tracks, and the burrow that's been dug in the ditch behind our property, it seems we have a raccoon that's taken residence here. As it hasn't bothered touching our veggie garden or plants I'm not too worried there as it's probably feasting on the abundant crawfish we have thanks to our terrible clay soil not draining through winter. My concern is, is there anything I should worry about in regards to either my wife and I, or our dogs? We generally don't spend much time outside at night due to either cold or insects, and the dogs are limited to where they can go via wireless electronic fence, and so far seems the coon is staying outside the radius of that. Long story short, should I get a trap, try to trap and relocate it, pull a stake out at night with the 22 (not even sure that's legal), get in pro's or just let it be?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Lol, You have more problems than a Raccoon

Raccoon's don't burrow.

Don't you work at a meat shop? Sounds like fresh sausage to me!

Hi all. As I'm living in a country area now, I'm going to have more of an interaction with critters I've never had to worry about since moving here. Judging by tracks, and the burrow that's been dug in the ditch behind our property, it seems we have a raccoon that's taken residence here. As it hasn't bothered touching our veggie garden or plants I'm not too worried there as it's probably feasting on the abundant crawfish we have thanks to our terrible clay soil not draining through winter. My concern is, is there anything I should worry about in regards to either my wife and I, or our dogs? We generally don't spend much time outside at night due to either cold or insects, and the dogs are limited to where they can go via wireless electronic fence, and so far seems the coon is staying outside the radius of that. Long story short, should I get a trap, try to trap and relocate it, pull a stake out at night with the 22 (not even sure that's legal), get in pro's or just let it be?

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Lol, You have more problems than a Raccoon

Raccoon's don't burrow.

Don't you work at a meat shop? Sounds like fresh sausage to me!

Haha yeah I do. Haven't done coon sausage before though!
    Didn't know coons didn't burrow. From google searches trying to work out what it could be it showed they do. Don't know where they'd be sleeping during the day then as there's not many trees around us. Unless the tracks are from something else. Will get some track pics next time I go for a smoke.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    If it is a coon they favor marshmallows.

Sounds more like an armadillo if it's borrowing.
    Armadillos can carry leprosy along with other diseases.

I'm not fond of critters hanging around. Shoot if you want, live trap it or practice survival snares.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    "Burrow that's been dug in the ditch behind our property," sounds more like a muskrat or nutria. Muskrat is not a problem for dogs but a nutria could be.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Could be a raccoon. While they normally live in trees, they can inhabit abandoned burrows. Maybe even make their own burrow (less likely). Could be other small mammals too, but raccoon tracks are pretty unmistakable. They are known to carry diseases transmittable to people and dogs (rabies, leptospirosis, salmonella, and round worm parasites). The lepto is spread via infected urine contaminating water, round worms are transmitted by feces, the rabies by bite, and salmonella is through ingestion of infected tissue/meat. As long as your dogs are vaccinated for rabies and get dewormed appropriately, and they do not catch/eat the coon, the only one to worry about is lepto. If it can't contaminate water they drink out of, then you shouldn't have to worry about lepto (which causes a serious disease). It will probably avoid your property because of your dogs unless it gets starved or rabid, so I say let it be until it actually starts causing you or your pets problems. You and your family (humans) have nothing to worry about unless it goes rabid, you eat it uncooked, you start drinkin from your ditch, or you accidentally ingest raccoon poop.

I wouldn't be worried about it honestly.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    They don't burrow down here because...They will drown.

What makes you think they sleep during the day? Got a game camera..Put it out.

From what I've read I'm pretty sure you have a Loupe Garou living close by.

Haha yeah I do. Haven't done coon sausage before though!
    Didn't know coons didn't burrow. From google searches trying to work out what it could be it showed they do. Don't know where they'd be sleeping during the day then as there's not many trees around us. Unless the tracks are from something else. Will get some track pics next time I go for a smoke.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Lol, I had one under my boat today seizing and freaking out like it was in the final stages of distemper. I was going to shoot it with a .22 but since I live in the city limits I decided it was better to call animal control. He came out and shot it with a .22 go figure..... Anyway he said he's had to kill about 30 with distemper over the last few weeks.

Just be sure your pets shots are up to date and shoot it when you see it if you can and it bothers you.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    we had a raccoon sneak into our garage attic.. and my sneak, i mean climb up the stairs. i lured it out with tiny morsels of meat and while it came out to feed, i ran to close the attic stairs and chased it out with a broom (it works). i haven't seen it since, though i've yet to learn my lesson with the attic stairs though.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Yep Distemper virus too, that has become a huge problem around here. Routine vaccines will keep your pets safe. Raccoons are nocturnal, so night time would be the most likely time to see them. If you see one during the day, it's not a good thing most of the time. Try a game camera if possible you will find out if it's living there or just visiting.

Top Bottom