Grand Master's Viewpoint

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Wait I just realized something. Hitman and I disagree about something and we are having a discussion about it and its civil and as of yet there is no chest thumping. Madre Dios!

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Something you missed is that MMA trains you to win in a sport.

Martial Arts trains you to end threats violently.

MMA is restricted to MANY rules and therefore DO NOT Train nearly as extensive as Martial arts Experts. To name a few of these.
    This is with MMA in America.

It's much different than MMA in Japan (old Pride rules) or Brazil (Vale Tudo).

[YOUTUBE]tqfqLH_o8P4[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]LdS3PA3Hjm4[/YOUTUBE]
    Not to mention the fact that most every MMA fight ends up on the soft mat. In a street fight, the last place you want to be is on the GROUND!

One on One in the ring, of course an MMA Fighter could possibly have an advantage b/c it's HIS sport with the end result of winning. On the street however I wouldn't be so confident.

I think it's important to remember that the best fighters in the MMA are fighting from a ROOT Martial Art, that has been WATERED DOWN to be able to be applied in a Competition Arena.

Take that Art Outside the ring, and then you can see it unleashed into what it was meant to be. A deadly extremely violent method to subdue are kill another person or persons.
    O'Rly?:mamoru:
    [YOUTUBE]TuVlRa_hvBM[/YOUTUBE]

Funny Story:
    Fabricio Werdum got into BJJ b/c his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend chocked him to unconscious in a street fight.

:)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What your saying has some validity but not all MMA has rules like the UFC, they do vary. I also thing striking is striking a guy who can strike like Chuck Lidell would be a mauler in a street fight. .

We'll I didn't know we were talking about Worldwide MMA Fighters. Using names in the UFC I was obviously under the impression we were talking about American MMA.

Either way my points on the Training Scenarios remain to be challenged :D

and when's the last time you saw a Liddell match? :eek3: He's been knocked out the last three times in the Octagon...washed up... :o

I think any Fit male can knock anyone else out with a clean punch. While Liddell was good at making his punches count, he was even better at avoiding getting hit. Here recently as is evident by his record. He's not so good at avoiding punches and this we've seen what some are calling "Glass Jaw". He's lost 5 of his last 6 matches, 4 by being KO'd. Of course this is WAY OFF TOPIC. :p

Speedlace I never said MMA is ineffective outside the Ring. My first post was just a shot at explaining that Martial Arts are just as effective if not more b/c of the difference in training.

To clarify I'm not talking about going to Karate Class once a week and meditating type Marital Arts. Just like you’re not talking about going to the Gym and hitting a Bag with high kicks and wrestling your friends.

I think your best bet would be to have both. Martial Arts training, with the intensity of MMA(Which is what MMA is supposed to anyway right?) but not being prepared for a fight in a ring. Simply participating to get the training and experience. That would be a REAL MMA Fighter.

Wait I just realized something. Hitman and I disagree about something and we are having a discussion about it and its civil and as of yet there is no chest thumping. Madre Dios!

I know right? Amazing how rare it is for adults to have normal discussions on an adult web-forum, especially this one :mamoru:

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Speedlace said exactly what I wanted to but with the Illustrative Power of Video. I wish I could find the video of Bas Ruten breaking a guys F@#king Liver with a punch.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I understand that may sound fan boyish,...
    It does.

Just some extra info:
    St. Pierre trains wrestling with the Canadian Olympic wrestling team and his 1st martial art was karate.
    hv2gzk.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Yeah Lidell is washed up. But thats another thread. American Martial Arts are much more watered down than MMA. There are some MMA Based Real World systems out there. Southnarcs EQCC comes to mind even though its not a system but a body of work.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It does.

Just some extra info:
    St. Pierre trains wrestling with the Canadian Olympic wrestling team and his 1st martial art was karate.
    hv2gzk.jpg

I actually can't stand the dude. We is obnoxious and has a double black belt in excuse making. I just realized that Vale Tudo vid you posted is bare knuckle. Yikes. Those guys must break a ton of knuckles.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Bruce Lee owes his fame to his foley artist.

He was into martial arts 1st then later TV and Movies.
    He was one of the 1st to infuse mix martial arts.
    He was not an actor who got into martial arts he was teaching it 1st.
    Pound for pound he was a bad ass for that time!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAy6bKRdED8&feature=related[/ame]

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Well I just got word that one of my students is comming to see me. He is 40 years old, I taught him for 2 years in Germany, he was 15 then he went on to win 146 full contact fights. Not bad. Now he wants to do a little hunting and fishing.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I actually can't stand the dude. We is obnoxious and has a double black belt in excuse making. I just realized that Vale Tudo vid you posted is bare knuckle. Yikes. Those guys must break a ton of knuckles.
    Wanderlei Silva has only had to have hand surgery once back in 2006, as far I know and could find.

Igor Vovchanchyn had A LOT of bare knuckle bouts and developed a reoccurring fracture in his hand.
    He had to retire in' 08 b/c he was having to get surgeries on his fist after fights.
    [YOUTUBE]sc7uVXXR5I8[/YOUTUBE]

Fedor Emelianenko is constantly breaking his hand, but I think due to how he throws his overhead right.
    I find him likable.:rofl:
    motivator84.jpg

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Well I just got word that one of my students is comming to see me. He is 40 years old, I taught him for 2 years in Germany, he was 15 then he went on to win 146 full contact fights. Not bad. Now he wants to do a little hunting and fishing.

I think we've moved past your resume.

Again, no offense, it's just that your post has no relevence to the current conversation, which I believe is date raping Bruce Lee.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Well in order to test some of my theory I became a striking coach at a very good MMA School. As suspected they had an excellent "Ground Game" of BJJ, many had good boxing skills as well, but in this case something was missing. It was the kicks. They have a Mauy Thia instructor who trained in Thailand so round house front kicks including knees and round house kicks to the legs are there but no power knock out kicks to the body or head. 4 months later we have good fighters from other schools ducking fights. We might win a few or lose a few as in MMA you never really know the outcome, but a well rounded fighter with a Stand Up and a Ground Game is certainly a formidable opponent. We now have the Light Heavy weight belt, by submission and a punch knock out. Still leery of the new kicks, some of our guys feel they are too dangerous and don't use them for fear of hurting the opponent, after all it is a sport. However I have seen some land and the opponent really looks confused as those kick are seldom used in MMA and seem to be surprisingly effective.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    They have a Mauy Thia instructor who trained in Thailand so round house front kicks including knees and round house kicks to the legs are there but no power knock out kicks to the body or head. .

A Muay Thai instructor that doesn't have knockout power to the body? REALLY??? And Muay Thai does not kick to the head because it is impractical and inefficient, that is what the hands are for.

John you seem to like to talk.. a lot. We like to let those who like to like to talk do so and the rest of us will train and fight in real life in the present and let the BS legends and stories of the past go to the way side and let science and modern training present the Truth.

When was your last "real" fight?

Those who do "DO" those who can't COACH!

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How did this horrible thread get resurrected?

There is no reason to say anything about the one who started this thread, anyone can read his post and know that he is full of worthless information and bad opinions.

Top Bottom