Grip strengthening

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Can anyone share any experiences/opinions on grip strengthening tools? I've read on Enos regarding the "Captain of Crusher" and I also have looked online at the gripmaster. I would think the gripmaster would be more effective for firearm related exercises utilizing the different springs for different fingers. Anyways, thanks in advance for any comments

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Any reason you have to not get them both? ;)

The Finger Grippers do not apply the same resistance as the Hand Grippers though or in the same way. You cannot get as deep of a squeeze or stretch out when using the Finger Gripper.

There is no substitute for the CoC Grippers. None! Using them alone would be beneficial but the Finger Grippers have their purpose too, I mainly only hear of Indoor/Outdoor Rock Climbers using them though.

If you're just starting off, go with some Walmart/Academy Grippers. After a couple weeks go straight into the CoC Sport. You can go from there afterwards.

EDIT> Just looked at their site for the first time in a while. I noticed they have this new IMTUG Two Finger Gripper. Might be more of what you're looking to get out of the Finger Grippers > http://www.ironmind-store.com/IMTUGb1_b-The-Two-Finger-Utility-Gripper/productinfo/1411/

Last edited:

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Any reason you have to not get them both? ;)

The Finger Grippers do not apply the same resistance as the Hand Grippers though or in the same way. You cannot get as deep of a squeeze or stretch out when using the Finger Gripper.

There is no substitute for the CoC Grippers. None! Using them alone would be beneficial but the Finger Grippers have their purpose too, I mainly only hear of Indoor/Outdoor Rock Climbers using them though.

If you're just starting off, go with some Walmart/Academy Grippers. After a couple weeks go straight into the CoC Sport. You can go from there afterwards.

EDIT> Just looked at their site for the first time in a while. I noticed they have this new IMTUG Two Finger Gripper. Might be more of what you're looking to get out of the Finger Grippers > http://www.ironmind-store.com/IMTUGb1_b-The-Two-Finger-Utility-Gripper/productinfo/1411/

Thanks for the link. I was unsure if one style was more effective for handgun grip strength training for lack of better words but I like your solution better, just get both

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Thanks for the link. I was unsure if one style was more effective for handgun grip strength training for lack of better words but I like your solution better, just get both

Yea it won't hurt to get both, but I'd focus more on the CoC Grippers. Your OVERALL Hand Strength will increase with it. To include gripping a firearm more firmly considering your fingers really aren't doing the brunt of the work when it comes to proper handgun posture right?

Remember though, to get superior hand strength(or to increase it properly) you must also condition the forearm. You can do just hand workouts and your grip will be strengthened, but if you want to have literal, crushing hand strength, don't ignore your forearms.

My wife has horrible hand strength and it pisses her off when I grab an empty pizza box and roll it up like a piece of paper :D

But beware, your fingers and hands will become hardened. Literally. So when grappling with the kids or even the wife, don't be alarmed if you accidently crush one of them on the leg or something. I was tossing my son around in a heated battle between Spider-Man Red and Spider-Man Black(me) and I know a few times I grabbed him kinda hard and he squealed but didn't cry. Next day or so he's getting in the shower and I see bruises on his shoulder and leg area.......ooops.....

:doh: So yea, be warned ;)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I really like the Gripmaster. It stays in the car and gets used while I'm driving. Great safe alternative to texting and surfing BS. :D

8e6are5u.jpg

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Yea it won't hurt to get both, but I'd focus more on the CoC Grippers. Your OVERALL Hand Strength will increase with it. To include gripping a firearm more firmly considering your fingers really aren't doing the brunt of the work when it comes to proper handgun posture right?

Remember though, to get superior hand strength(or to increase it properly) you must also condition the forearm. You can do just hand workouts and your grip will be strengthened, but if you want to have literal, crushing hand strength, don't ignore your forearms.

My wife has horrible hand strength and it pisses her off when I grab an empty pizza box and roll it up like a piece of paper :D

But beware, your fingers and hands will become hardened. Literally. So when grappling with the kids or even the wife, don't be alarmed if you accidently crush one of them on the leg or something. I was tossing my son around in a heated battle between Spider-Man Red and Spider-Man Black(me) and I know a few times I grabbed him kinda hard and he squealed but didn't cry. Next day or so he's getting in the shower and I see bruises on his shoulder and leg area.......ooops.....

:doh: So yea, be warned ;)

Hmmm.....my 4 year old is on a big Spiderman kick and don't want that to happen. He would probably just go all "Darth Maul" on me and give me a good whack to the melon with the lightsaber.

Yea the main reason for all of this is I have read that with stronger grip especially with the non-dominant hand will help with recoil control which in theory help stay on target with followup shots. Thanks for the advice Hitman on the grip and preventative child safety, LOL

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I've used the Captains of Crush a good bit in the past. It is different than a lot of the others. You don't mindlessly just squeeze away while doing something else. It is very hard and you have to work up to just doing a few reps on each level.

Before I had to quit shooting competition. (remodeling new house for a few more months) I was using the #2 and working on the 2.5. It did wonders for my grip strength which was pretty week when I started. It took a while but after a few months there was a noticeable difference in recoil control.

If you do get the captains of crush follow the advise of not overdoing it and taking a day off between workouts. I pushed too hard in the beginning and strained something that put me out for a few weeks.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I've used the Captains of Crush a good bit in the past. It is different than a lot of the others. You don't mindlessly just squeeze away while doing something else. It is very hard and you have to work up to just doing a few reps on each level.

Before I had to quit shooting competition. (remodeling new house for a few more months) I was using the #2 and working on the 2.5. It did wonders for my grip strength which was pretty week when I started. It took a while but after a few months there was a noticeable difference in recoil control.

If you do get the captains of crush follow the advise of not overdoing it and taking a day off between workouts. I pushed too hard in the beginning and strained something that put me out for a few weeks.
    \

Wow, been wondering what happened to you. Good luck with the remodeling.

I agree with Whit. The COC grippers are great, but you don't use them while driving down the road or watching TV. They are TOUGH. I believe that recoil control has more to do with wrist strength after a point anyway. You need to be able to grip the gun hard, but after that the recoil is happening in the wrist. I recommend plenty of wrist and forearm strength exercises to go along with the grip training.

lucky_reaper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    prairieville
    I use the coc on my drive to st James from prairieville , defiantly taxes the hands. They are great tools for improving grip strength and endurance. Also if you can get fat gripz , to put on dumbbells and barbells which put more of a load on your forearms and grip

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    \

Wow, been wondering what happened to you. Good luck with the remodeling.

I agree with Whit. The COC grippers are great, but you don't use them while driving down the road or watching TV. They are TOUGH. I believe that recoil control has more to do with wrist strength after a point anyway. You need to be able to grip the gun hard, but after that the recoil is happening in the wrist. I recommend plenty of wrist and forearm strength exercises to go along with the grip training.

Don't worry I'll be back. You guys need more competition in production again. I hope to be finished in the next few months. Hopefully this winter I can get the area cleared and dirt brought in to build my berm so I can get a little live fire practice at home.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Don't worry I'll be back. You guys need more competition in production again. I hope to be finished in the next few months. Hopefully this winter I can get the area cleared and dirt brought in to build my berm so I can get a little live fire practice at home.

That's cheating if you can live fire practice at home. I desperately need somewhere to live fire practice on a regular basis. I've had exactly one practice since the Gator.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    That's cheating if you can live fire practice at home. I desperately need somewhere to live fire practice on a regular basis. I've had exactly one practice since the Gator.

That was the agreement on this house. I would redo every room before I could build my range. I'm about 60-70% done. Then back to grip training and shooting and all that stuff.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I picked up a set of CoC grippers. I can close the 1.5 and working my way up to the #2.

The training isnt bad, a couple of heavy sets 3x per week along with the regular workout regime.

Top Bottom