Gun "goes off" in Galatoire's Restaurant

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe it was the same moron from Fellini's a couple years ago. I was eating on the patio with some friends from work when some stupid broad's gun fell out of her purse onto the concrete patio. To make things worse, as she picked it up she swept the entire patio.

I called NOPD and pointed her out to the responding officers. They spoke with her and left without incident. I think she may have been a detective or Fed from the way her party was dressed - and the way the NOPD shrugged off the whole thing.

When I did my carry course we were told that your firearm had to be on your person - unless you're a female, then it can be in a purse. Perhaps a deadly exception?

It SHOULD, but it does not have to.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Christ! My 75 year old mom was there tonight with her red hat gang, and I know she carries in her purse. For that matter several of those ole broads carry. Tough girls. I hope it wasn't her. I keep telling her she shouldn't carry, but she's convinced she'll get a chance to plug some thug if she's just patient enough.

pawpaw131

Old School
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Lafourche
    homesickernu [Profile]MemberSep. 25, 2010 7:43pm CST
    homesickernu

Why doesn't any news tell us it was Senator Julie Quinn’s purse that fell and discharged the gun? If it had been me or any other "nobody", We'd have gone to jail. And hey, Julie, I can't afford Galatoire's must be nice that you and boyfriend, Councilman John Young can on our taxpayer dollar. ALL politicians are CROOKS!

Found this on Ch 6 website.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    NO WAY!

Julie Quinn's gun went off in Galatoires? This is truly funny. Hell she's probably going to pick up votes now that people know she carries. It should have been a .357 though if she wants real votes.

flatswitch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/09/gun_at_galatoires_belongs_to_l.html

Conspiracy theories soon abounded regarded the identity of Friday's accidental shooter -- whom the restaurant identified only as a woman who had permission to carry a gun. An item about the incident on NOLA.com attracted 114 comments, many of them speculating fancifully on the gun owner's identity.

The restaurant's management has been unwilling to say more about the incident. But New Orleans police on Monday said the gun belonged to Cheryl Mintz, who handles public relations for the Hurwitz Mintz furniture store. She was accompanied at the restaurant by her husband, Brett Bauman, who owns Planetguide Interactive Media, which counts Galatoire's as a customer.

Reached Monday, Bauman declined to comment. Mintz did not return a phone message or respond to an e-mail message seeking comment.

Garry Flot, a spokesman for the NOPD, said Bauman is the registered owner of the weapon, an extra-small pistol known as a derringer, manufactured by Cobra Enterprises. But it was in Mintz's purse. Both Mintz and Bauman have concealed-carry permits, Flot said.

Flot said an officer who responded reviewed a security videotape, which backed up Mintz's version of events. He said charges are unlikely, although it will be up to Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro to decide.

"If someone had been injured, it might be different," Flot said.

----- It's gotta be nice having that kind of money... I gar-ron-tee if that even happened within my own home (it wouldn't, mind you), I'd end up in cuffs for reckless discharge or some ********.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    Probably had the derringer's hammer closed all the way (not on safety) and it bumped against something.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    The trigger pull on one of those is pretty stinking high and being in a purse, I would expect the blow to be somewhat "padded". Also, this was probably dropped from table-top height. HAD to be a direct blow to the hammer resting on a round (no safety/½ cock). Simply not good gun safety handling in my book.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Maybe it was the same moron from Fellini's a couple years ago. I was eating on the patio with some friends from work when some stupid broad's gun fell out of her purse onto the concrete patio. To make things worse, as she picked it up she swept the entire patio.

I called NOPD and pointed her out to the responding officers. They spoke with her and left without incident. I think she may have been a detective or Fed from the way her party was dressed - and the way the NOPD shrugged off the whole thing.

When I did my carry course we were told that your firearm had to be on your person - unless you're a female, then it can be in a purse. Perhaps a deadly exception?

What if you have a "man bag" or a fanny pack?:ghey:

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Garry Flot, a spokesman for the NOPD, said Bauman is the registered owner of the weapon, an extra-small pistol known as a derringer, manufactured by Cobra Enterprises. But it was in Mintz's purse. Both Mintz and Bauman have concealed-carry permits, Flot said.

HA! If I had read this thread earlier I would have so called it. I've heard a few stories about this kind of ND, and they ALL involve derringers.

Women carry them because they are "cute" or whatever, but damn if they aren't totally worthless. Has there ever been a successful self defense situation with one of them? At least since the 19th century?

Top Bottom