Gun safe in the garage?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I've gotten to the point where a gun safe has become more of a necessity than just a want. Problem is my house is HIGH. I have 2'-3' of steps to go up no matter which entrance I use, not to mention door thresholds etc. Suffice to say getting a 30 gun safe into my house will be a B I T C H! My easy option is to put it in my garage next to my work bench where I plan to relocate my reloader. My garage is 4 1/2 cars so room isn't a problem, but the environment is. The garage is insulated and has an ac unit for when I'm working in there, but I don't run it all the time. It's cooler than outside during the summer and warmer during the winter normally. Y'all think running one of those dehumidifier rods in the safe would be all I need? Or am I just asking for trouble.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Another option would be a safe which allows you to remove the door which takes off 1/3 of the weight. That would make it easier to maneuver. I know browning safes have that feature but I am sure others do too.

And don't underestimate how far a case of beer will get you with some buddies :D they will be more than happy to help with the prospect of free beer

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Another option would be a safe which allows you to remove the door which takes off 1/3 of the weight. That would make it easier to maneuver. I know browning safes have that feature but I am sure others do too.

And don't underestimate how far a case of beer will get you with some buddies :D they will be more than happy to help with the prospect of free beer

^
    This. Or pay professional movers to do it. Cost me $220 and was well worth the money.

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    I've gotten to the point where a gun safe has become more of a necessity than just a want. Problem is my house is HIGH. I have 2'-3' of steps to go up no matter which entrance I use, not to mention door thresholds etc. Suffice to say getting a 30 gun safe into my house will be a B I T C H! My easy option is to put it in my garage next to my work bench where I plan to relocate my reloader. My garage is 4 1/2 cars so room isn't a problem, but the environment is. The garage is insulated and has an ac unit for when I'm working in there, but I don't run it all the time. It's cooler than outside during the summer and warmer during the winter normally. Y'all think running one of those dehumidifier rods in the safe would be all I need? Or am I just asking for trouble.

give us a call tomorrow and ask for kasey. he can give you some tips for moving it inside the house. 601-798-9449

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Instead of one big one get multiple smaller ones.

I have a pair of the 12-14 gun safes and mount them in a non walk-in closet to the left and right (doors facing each other) they're out of sight, and if someone wants to pry/cut on them it's going to be more trouble than if it's in the open, it takes longer to break into 2 safes than it does 1 and you can probably handle them with a hand truck by yourself.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    What if you built a small "safe/reloading room" in the garage and ran AC to just that. Maybe only about 10x15...

The pro-movers (bonded and insured) would be my choice :)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Get it inside your house, no matter what. You won't regret it, and will rest a lot easier.

Remember that whatever is easier on you will also be easier on a thief. No- make that "thieves". :o

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    My pops runs a dehumidifier for his whole garage. Works quite nicely.
    Some day I will up my game and have a sweet setup like he does!!!:D

The two smaller safe idea is actually not a bad idea. Might be a few more $$ initially, but would decrease the headache. I've also considered using my fireproofing knowledge from when I was building 30+ unit condo's and converting an unused closet into a fire-resistant, armored walkin vault. Sourcing a proper door that will work in my space has proven a problem, though.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    A GoldenRod dehumidifier will do what you need even in the garage. They come in different sizes. Get the right size or get a couple.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    My house sits 4' above the ground. And the only sensible place to put my safe was in one of my upstairs bedrooms. So with a total of dam near 20' of stairs it now sits upstairs. When I ever sell this house the safe will become a gift to the new owners cuz there is not a chance in hell I'm moving it down. But the point is you can do it, it took 3 of us to do mine.

Rhambeaux

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Lafayette, LA
    My house sits 4' above the ground. And the only sensible place to put my safe was in one of my upstairs bedrooms. So with a total of dam near 20' of stairs it now sits upstairs. When I ever sell this house the safe will become a gift to the new owners cuz there is not a chance in hell I'm moving it down. But the point is you can do it, it took 3 of us to do mine.

How many cases of beer did it cost u?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom