gun Safe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I've only been collecting for about a year but Im at the point to where i need to start thinking about getting a gun safe. I'm divorced and have a couple extra rooms in my house and I was considering taking a closet and converting it into a gun safe. Anyone have any experience with that or any suggestions?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If you're looking for a standalone safe, I'd recommend getting in touch with Richie's (forum sponsor). They have some great prices on Cannon safes. I love mine.

If you mean you literally want to make a safe room/closet I'd find a good contractor in your area. They make safe doors for standard door openings, but you'd need the walls and door jamb reinforced as well. Expect to spend a pretty penny!

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Fort knox is expensive, and by the time I got a quote from them... I had already found and bought a browning.

Cannons are much more economical than the fort knox. They're good safes for people on a budget. Browning has a wide selection with many of the features I was looking for, and they're priced pretty fair at most places. It was hard for me to spend that kind of money on a safe... but for the amount I have invested in guns, not to mention priceless heirlooms, it was stupid not to have one.

This site has just about everything you need to know about picking out a safe.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    your going to be hard pressed to find one for that price. richies had some 24gun cannons for $499 which imho was a steel. from what i understand though they wont be getting anymore of them at that price. i did notice that academy had a very similar cannon for either $599 or $699 may want to check them out or check with richies as they have a pretty large selection.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I got a safe a Cannon safe last year during the firearms tax free weekend. It was full as soon as we got it. Half of it is full of coins and stamps and the other half is rifles. I really need a second one but don't want to spend the money on it. It would be better to just cull the herd some.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Cannon would be the way to go in that price range. I'd call ritchie's, but you can shop around at other places. I usually see them stocked in most outdoor stores.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I got a safe a Cannon safe last year during the firearms tax free weekend. It was full as soon as we got it. Half of it is full of coins and stamps and the other half is rifles. I really need a second one but don't want to spend the money on it. It would be better to just cull the herd some.

I will find refuge for the herd of coins and rifles!;)

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I'll defintely give them a call. i need something soon. I just bought an SKS yesterday and realized that i dont have anywhere safe to keep the stuff. the gun was priced great, but Id hate to lose it. I read the articles on this site about collecting and investing and it has me intrgued. I've been wanting to find something to invest in and this seems to fit the bill.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    One of my skeet shooting friends is a local(New Orleans) residential contractor who has done closet-to-safe room conversions. He says the most economical way to line the room is with 3/4 inch plywood covered with a cloth. Thick velour is a good choice. The access door and frame(steel I'm sure) is a special order with inside hinges and a locking crossbolt extending from the center of the door to both sides. The room is typically trimmed out the the customers specs. and equiped with a PIR detector tied into the house alarm system. The more fancy installations can have a concealed door disguised as a built-in bookshelf or paneled wall. He claims installation costs about the same as a good, high capacity steel safe.
    I know it can't be as secure as a steel safe, but the idea is to make a break-in too time consuming for the thieves.

g0ku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    One of my skeet shooting friends is a local(New Orleans) residential contractor who has done closet-to-safe room conversions. He says the most economical way to line the room is with 3/4 inch plywood covered with a cloth. Thick velour is a good choice. The access door and frame(steel I'm sure) is a special order with inside hinges and a locking crossbolt extending from the center of the door to both sides. The room is typically trimmed out the the customers specs. and equiped with a PIR detector tied into the house alarm system. The more fancy installations can have a concealed door disguised as a built-in bookshelf or paneled wall. He claims installation costs about the same as a good, high capacity steel safe.
    I know it can't be as secure as a steel safe, but the idea is to make a break-in too time consuming for the thieves.

I have an extra closet I may have do this to.

Top Bottom