Gun Show Customer License Plates Come Under Scrutiny

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I may have a way of translating my mindset to many others here. A lot of people believe we should make laws targeted at keeping the "lowest common denominator" in line, I think our government should be constrained in a way that would proctect the public from oppressive regimes.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Lol, of course it doesn't. I bet it's tough being so paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope not paranoid, I just have a strong belief system that says the government should be constrained not the people.

Freedom is not the absence of oppression it's the inability for tyranny to exist.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    jeff-goldblum.jpg

How I feel half the time on BS.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I know these topics get very emotional responses, but remember to keep them civil.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/misc.php?do=vsarules

Code of Conduct
    YOUR AGREEMENT

By joining the Bayoushooter forums, you agree to adhere to the following rules. All facets of the forum, including but not limited to each forum section and private messages.

By agreeing to the forum rules, you agree that you will not post, private message, or link to any content which is defamatory, hateful, threatening, abusive, vulgar, contains adult or objectionable content, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

FORUM RULES

Rule 1: No rudeness or personal attacks

While we appreciate passionate and informed discussion we will not allow rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, purposeless inflammatory posts, or trolling.

Rule 2: No condoning of assault, threats, or harassment

It is not permitted to advocate, encourage, or condone unlawful physical violence, threats of violence, assault, or harassment against anyone, whether members of these forums or not.

Rule 3: No argumentative and divisive behavior

Members who consistently post argumentative and divisive messages will be removed from the forums. *This is especially true in Law Enforcement threads. *Posts include bickering, arguing, generalizing, or denigrating LE service or citizen actions, will be deleted. *The moderating staff will be the sole decider of the tone/intent of a post. *Posts deemed to be in violation of our rules will be deleted and may result in infractions.

This rule is not meant to stifle the civil discussion of laws or other current issues relevant to gun owners, instead it is to allow these discussions to flourish as opposed to devolving.

Rule 4: Criticize constructively

Critiques of individuals, site sponsors, or advertising partners should be done in the spirit of constructive discourse. Please speak to others with respect regardless of how you may view their position.

Rule 5: Stay on topic

While we certainly appreciate broad discussions and try to allow threads to run their course, we do not want entirely unrelated comments posted.

Rule 6: Request approval for all advertising

Our forum is able to stay in existence thanks to the sale of advertising space. If you would like to advertise please contact a member of the moderating staff.

Rule 7: Please observe copyright law

Posts may be edited and/or deleted in order to conform to copyright law.

Rule 8: Only one login account per member

Each member is allowed only one login account. This especially includes banned users.

Rule 9: Do not publicly dispute Moderation decisions

Do not post on the forums questioning moderation decisions or the integrity of the moderators. Questions about moderation decisions can be addressed via the Private Messaging system. Be respectful of the moderators, both in the forums and in any private communications you have with them.

Rule 10: False Claims

Many of our members are military veterans or law enforcement, and as such we have great respect for these communities. We have had issues in the past with users falsely claiming to have been members of these communities, and as such we will require anyone making said claims to provide proof of service. Failure to provide proof of service after making claims will result in an immediate ban of the user's account.

Furthermore, this rule need not apply only to law enforcement or veterans. Anyone making claims that prove to be false that could potentially be detrimental to the forum or its user-base will be removed. An example is claiming to be a lawyer and issuing legal advice

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Thats not what the case I JUST POSTED FOR YOU TO READ says:

I don't even know what that REASON dribble you're going on about is. The proper terms are reasonable suspicion and probable cause. Of which you have to demonstrate neither in DMV database checks.

OK, I've read the entire opinion a few times, and you are correct that the Sixth Circuit ruled: "The 4th amendment doesn't apply to the information contained in a license plate."

I'd say the dissent makes a much more compelling case than the majority and pokes compelling holes in the majority's opinion that there is no private information contained in the license plate data. ;)

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=7865

And I certainly don't see how this is congruent with a free society...but it's true that for now (it's likely not a settled issue), it's "legal".

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    OK, I've read the entire opinion a few times, and you are correct that the Sixth Circuit ruled: "The 4th amendment doesn't apply to the information contained in a license plate."

I'd say the dissent makes a much more compelling case than the majority and pokes compelling holes in the majority's opinion that there is no private information contained in the license plate data. ;)

And I certainly don't see how this is congruent with a free society...but it's true that for now (it's likely not a settled issue), it's "legal".
    I think my meme says it all.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Do you agree with the dissent in DC v. Heller or do you pick and choose which side you fall on based on the case you are reading?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Do you agree with the dissent in DC v. Heller or do you pick and choose which side you fall on based on the case you are reading?

They don't like this because it may prevent someone who cannot pass a nics check from buying a gun a gun show.

#felonsloveguns
    #prohibitedpersonslovegunz

JR1572

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Also when you say "the sixth circuit ruled" it also means the Supreme Court refused to hear the case and thus making it the law of the land.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Are you asking him if he makes his opinions based on popular opinion?

No i'm asking him if he bases his opinions on the framework set forth in the US constitution. That which sets up the branches of government and lays down the framework for judging what is and isn't constitutional. Or do you avoid that part of the constitution and cherry pick stuff like he does?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Also when you say "the sixth circuit ruled" it also means the Supreme Court refused to hear the case and thus making it the law of the land.

Dude, stop it. Using facts and stuff isn't going to help you convince anyone here.

Last time I said "The Supreme Court decides what's Constitutional and Unconstitutional" people's heads exploded like when Clayton Bigsby took off his hood.

JR1572

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Just google D.C. Vs heller. You or #'s are quite irrelevant to that case.

"Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions on the commercial sale of arms."

This is quoted from the Heller ruling.

Did you miss that part?

JR1572

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    No i'm asking him if he bases his opinions on the framework set forth in the US constitution. That which sets up the branches of government and lays down the framework for judging what is and isn't constitutional. Or do you avoid that part of the constitution and cherry pick stuff like he does?

So it's constitutional that judges make unconstitutional rulings? Is that your opinion sounds like you are cherry-picking what parts of the constitution you choose to believe in. Do you seriously agree with every ruling? You trust a Supreme Court who majority ruled for partial birth abortion? Sometimes the majority rules what I consider right and sometime they don't.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Here's a quote from US v. Arzberger:

"To the extent, then, that the Second Amendment creates an individual right to possess a firearm unrelated to any military purpose, it also establishes a protectible liberty interest. And, although the Supreme Court has indicated that this privilege may be withdrawn from some groups of persons such as convicted felons, there is no basis for categorically depriving persons who are merely accused of certain crimes of the right to legal possession of a firearm."

Accused of a crime and convicted of a crime are two different things. You are aware of that?

JR1572

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    "Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions on the commercial sale of arms."

This is quoted from the Heller ruling.

Did you miss that part?

JR1572
    The case was on a prohibition of guns in D.C.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Here's a quote from US v. Arzberger:

"To the extent, then, that the Second Amendment creates an individual right to possess a firearm unrelated to any military purpose, it also establishes a protectible liberty interest. And, although the Supreme Court has indicated that this privilege may be withdrawn from some groups of persons such as convicted felons, there is no basis for categorically depriving persons who are merely accused of certain crimes of the right to legal possession of a firearm."

Accused of a crime and convicted of a crime are two different things. You are aware of that?

JR1572

How are these quotes relevant to the topic?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom