Gunsmiths In NW Lousiana/East Texas? -Specifically AKM?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Any gunsmiths in Northwest Lousiana who work on AKs? I'm trying to thread a barrel, replace the front sight block, replace the gas block, and drill for a cleaning rod. Most of the local yokels whom I've talked to are either AR, or Bolt-Action-only. "No habla Kalashnikova!":eek3:

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Is Denton tonfar for you?
    Denton's not too far. I kind of figured that I'd probably have to go into Dallas in order to get someone reputable. -I just think that it's amazing that someone doesn't set up shop here in the ARK-LA-TEX and starting cleaning house due to the lack of competition. There really is a need for a gunsmith in this part of the State who doesn't just do ARs, Glocks and bolt-action. (Hint, hint: Any ex-tv-stars looking for work... just say'n).

Last edited:

bigoo7e

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Haughton, La. 71037
    $10.00 FFLs!!! Wow! I might just for THAT! (-:

Indeed, he has mentioned to me that if you get more than one gun in, it's only $5 for each additional gun. I send him a lot of business, he does great work on pistols, I haven't used him for anything else yet. I will say you may have to wait on his services, I bought a pistol earlier this year and has it transferred to his shop, he told me he was backed up 3-1/2 to 4 months and this was in the around April IIRC!

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    ARISE NECRO-THREAD!

Went ahead and FINALLY got that MAK taken care of....

I went with JBI Armory from Denton, Texas. Only about a 3 hour drive from Shreveport. Nice fellow. He has about a 2-3 month turn-around time. Quality work that I haven't seen in YEARS by an AK-Builder. His shop is very professional, he does work for DoD, and he specializes in Khyber-builds.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125516

I'll post pics when I pick it up.

I will say this: There ARE NO competent gunsmiths in Northern and Central Louisiana with whom I would trust any of my AKs with. PERIOD. That's not just rhetoric. I've talked to most of them. Believe me, most don't have the equipment, nor the expertise. AR-friendly, yes, but that's about it. Most are cowboy rifle and long-range shooter aficionados. No Habla Калашников!!! So, if you live in Northern Louisiana, and you need your AK worked on, make that trip to Denton, Texas. You won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom