H&K USP SD or P30L??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I'm having some difficulty deciding which to purchase. I've been through it over and over but it will boil down to how each shoots. So my question:

Does anyone have first hand experience with both? If so, which do you prefer and why?

I have held a usp 9 and a P30L. The P30 definitely has a great grip on it but to me, it takes more than just the grip to sway my likes on a pistol. I haven't shot both but.....

......If anyone has one or both in the area, would it be a problem for me to shoot it? I can provide a meal from whataburger after the shoot!

Here are stock pics of both for reference.
    P30L
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/WIS435263_1.JPG

USP 9 SD
    http://www.lenaburgs.net/images/HKs/USP-SD1.jpg

Last edited:

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    How do you like your USP? I'm really wondering how it shoots. I've shot glocks, sigs, berettas, and never shot a single H&K but I've heard many good things about them so I figure I'd try to get one and see what the deal is with them. I can see the engineering put into them from reviews on the web but nothing really concrete.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    My polymer weapon of choice WAS the SA XD, it just felt better and shoot better to me, I have owned about 6 of them and I have kept 2 that I will never get rid off.

I was not one to follow HK as I always thought they were overpriced, I was able to find some police trade in's USP 9's and I told Pangris about it, he bought a few and always kept on saying and talking on how good they were bla bla bla bla.

I convinced my neighbor to buy one when he was looking for a 9, I shot one mag through it and I bought one for myself that same night. The only problem that I have is the trigger reach is a little long for me, I was not gifted with big hands or long fingers, but once I have staged my trigger its a dream, the trigger reset is unlike any other polymer pistol I have ever shot, and once you take her apart the slide is a chunk piece of metal unlike most newer weapons that look almost plastic she is solid and built to last. Mine is a version 7 with the LEM so its DAO since she was a police trade in, I will be sending her to Bill Springfield to do a match grade trigger with over travel stop job and a trigger job while hes at it, then it should be G2G for me, with a short trigger and 3 pounds less than factory.

Needless to say, I love the weapon and cant wait to fix my only complaint on the platform, they are definelty worth the money you pay for them, and soon I will add a USP 40 to my collection.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    What's the gun for?

The P30L with the LEM trigger isn't available in the US (last I knew of). The DA/SA trigger on the non-longslide p30s suck in the same way that most DA/SA triggers suck. The DA pull is like dragging a lifeless body over speed bump with your index finger. Making the trigger workable On one is going to cost you. Note: I'm assuming the L uses the same trigger.

The P30 is the most ergonomic production hand gun in existence, but a trigger job is a must. And it is weeeeellll worth it to me. I own three of them.

Last edited:

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I have no experience with the p30l, but have USP's in 9 and 45. I have big hands and they are very comfortable to me. If you are looking for a regular USP 9, Ladners still had a couple left about a month ago. He was down to $429 plus tax for them, as they were police trades. The couple that I looked at were not in bad shape, and came with 1 magazine. Give them a call and ask for Walter.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Just to shoot at the range. Home defense if needed. Wanted a full size pistol since I have a P238 for carry.

The "L" does use the same trigger. It's just a longer barrel/slide. I definitely agree with your on the grip. My friend says " it's like a suction cup for your hand". Pretty funny. Just wondering if the trigger and how each shoots different, similar, or the same.

I think almost every DA/SA pistol has a crazy heavy DA pull. Didn't like the beretta's pull either but I'm willing to live with the DA since I won't be carrying it and at the range, it'll be SA most of the time.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I have no experience with the p30l, but have USP's in 9 and 45. I have big hands and they are very comfortable to me. If you are looking for a regular USP 9, Ladners still had a couple left about a month ago. He was down to $429 plus tax for them, as they were police trades. The couple that I looked at were not in bad shape, and came with 1 magazine. Give them a call and ask for Walter.

I have a USPc from Lander's. I picked it up and drove straight to 10-8 Tactical to have a LEM installed. That particular trigger is very, very good--- The LEM in the P30 is not as good. For $429 plus the cost of the LEM trigger install, if they have them still, you can't go wrong there.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Just to shoot at the range. Home defense if needed. Wanted a full size pistol since I have a P238 for carry.

The "L" does use the same trigger. It's just a longer barrel/slide. I definitely agree with your on the grip. My friend says " it's like a suction cup for your hand". Pretty funny. Just wondering if the trigger and how each shoots different, similar, or the same.

The grip is sublime, but it not just that. The controls on the P30 are fully ambidextrous AND they are placed in a manner that eliminates the need for you to shift you grip when releasing a mag or releasing the slide. It makes the gun "handle" like no other.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I have both. They are completely different animals.

If you are shooting with a suppressor or want a full-size tactical handgun it would be the SD hands down.

If you want a range toy, it would be the SD hands down.

I have a P30 LEM and although I love the gun I have a hard time finding a place for it. I purchased it as a replacement carry piece, but the texture is so rough it wears through my under shirts and it's pretty aggressive if it makes it to your skin.

The P-Series triggers are a little longer than the USP series. If I could only have one and it wasn't a carry piece it would be the SD.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Thanks for the inputs. I definitely lean on better trigger pulls. I was unsure if it were the same or different. I have an option to get a Sig P226 Tactical Operations ( blackwater ) which I'm sure i'll love the trigger but have been curious about Hk's for a while. I still have two weeks before I can get the pistol so please keep the opinions coming good and bad.

So far, I'm leaning towards the USP SD....I think...:)

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Ok, Have owned a few hks. 3 usp, 2 with da/sa and 1 lem. 2 p2000, both lem with different weights. Got to compare the p2000 with a p30l and the da/sa trigger is terrible. Would not buy it on that alone, even thought the feel of the gun, grip and balance, is great.

I would say the da/sa on the usp series is much better. I was not a big fan of the lem usp I had, but the p2000 lem in either weight was nice. reset was not as short as the ghosted glocks I have so I saw no need to keep the p2000, given mag prices.

Still have 1 usp, in da/sa. It is an expert model so the trigger is a bit nice, at least compared to a std usp.

I would go with the usp. The p30 trigger was just not that great. Not sure on your hand size, you may find the p30 too small if you have larger hands/longer fingers. I would run the largest backstrap if I was to shoot one, and I have large palms and medium length fingers.

I would try to get your hands on both and see what you think, have fun!

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Definitely appreciate you input! I got a great deal on a usp sd. Sent off the M.O. On it today! That's exactly what I needed to hear! I'm glad I chose the usp then. I figure worse comes to worse, I could get the match trigger swapped out on it. Like they tell me "trigger control is gun control". Hopefully, I'll get it by the end of next week. It's gonna be a long week...

The P30 fit me real well, but I was hesitant on the trigger since I never shot any and from the reviews, the usp has a better trigger otb. This is getting out of hand. Now I have to save up for a silencerco.....

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I didn't realize there were so many HK owners here. Looks like we need another get-together event; as in, any HK qualifies.

For some reason, the P-series triggers are not as "good" as the USP. I have USP Compacts and HK45 Compacts; my wife has three P2000s. All have LEMs. She loves hers. Everytime I shoot them, I'll double-clutch it big time unless I slow down and remember that the reset is longer.

But be glad you got an HK instead of a new Sig.

Be very glad.

+1. Just say when.

Huh? What? <rubs eyes>
    Did somebody say HK shoot???
    :boink:

:rofl::rofl:

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I didn't realize there were so many HK owners here. Looks like we need another get-together event; as in, any HK qualifies.

For some reason, the P-series triggers are not as "good" as the USP. I have USP Compacts and HK45 Compacts; my wife has three P2000s. All have LEMs. She loves hers. Everytime I shoot them, I'll double-clutch it big time unless I slow down and remember that the reset is longer.

But be glad you got an HK instead of a new Sig.

Be very glad.

Actually, the Sig tactical/backwater was on the list.....What's wrong with Sig?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Not before it gets cooler... like, the first frost- or later. Maybe we can get that place on Choctaw again. If the Baker Range isn't open on Sundays then (that comes and goes), we can go there for sure.

But hunting season is not a good time, due to a lot of guys here participate in that activity on week-ends.

Stay tuned. I'll put something together, but it might be after the new year. We did this once before, during the P7 craze, and it was a great success.

You know I'll be there :D

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    (sung to the tune of Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam )
    Glock,

Glock,

Glock,

Glock,

Glock,

Glock,

Glock,

Glock,

Glock, Glock, Glock...a wonderful Glock. Glock, Glock, Glock,...a wonderful Glock.

Glock,

Glock,

Glock,

Glock,

....SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT !
    :)

Top Bottom