Had my first "confrontation" yesterday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgwalt1

Straight Edge
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It ended up being very uneventful (thank God) but I figured I'd share.

A friend and I were walking in to the Home Depot on Airline near the Cortana Mall. For a visual I'm 5'-8" 150# caucasian male dressed in jeans and a polo and my friend is 6' 240# vietnamese male in a typical mechanic uniform. We were about to cross the lane right in front of the store when a truck cuts us off, just about hitting us. My friend yells "ouch!" (trying to be funny...but in retrospect probably not the best thing to do).

The truck skreeched to a stop...at this point I figured they actually thought they ran over my friends foot or something and were checking to make sure he was ok. I was wrong. Two black males got out of the truck. The driver was about 6 feet tall 180#ish I'd say around 40 years old and the passenger couldn't have been older than 15 (I figured a father/son). They both started yelling at us, I couldn't understand what they were saying but the tone sounded threatening.

This all happened very fast. From the point of my friend yelling "ouch" to us entering the store was about 30 ft and we never broke stride, we weren't very interested in stopping to find out what they were saying or wanted to do. Once we were in the store we just shrugged it off as weird event and went about our business.

We left the store and were pulling up to the light to get back onto Airline and guess who is at the light infront of us...the same truck. About 15 minutes had passed since the incident earlier. We both recognized the truck but figured surely they either wouldn't recognize us or would have gotten over their problem with us. Wrong again.

The passenger looked back out of the beer window of the truck and flipped us off. We both just nodded and smiled back (not in a sarcastic way, more like an "ok we see you" kinda of way). Then the driver opened the door and steps out of the truck and starts yelling... at this point my friend shifted his car in reverse while I moved my shirt out of the way of my gun (I carry IWB @ 4 o'clock). After yelling for a few seconds the light turned green and the driver got back into his truck and took off. We made sure to give him lots of room and stayed far back from him.

That's all that happened, like I said pretty uneventful. My friend doesn't have his CHP but does carry in his car and he knew I was carrying. I think overall we handled it as best we could. I never drew my gun but did have my hand on it ready and my friend would have driven away had they driver come at us. We both decided that flight would have been the best option in this situation.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    What a bizarre situation and incredibly stupid for the father to do especially in the presence of his son. Great example he's setting.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Im glad to see that everything ended up OK. Its a damn shame that you had to put up with that kind of verbal abuse. If you or your friend would have given those guys the same tone back I'm sure it would have escalated into some sort of violence.

That reminds me of a story from a few years ago when I was between the ages of 17 and 19. Where I grew up some younger people used to hang out in parking lots late at night and talk about their cars, girls etc... Anyways this real ******* guy started hanging around threatening everybody and harassing the women. No one really wanted any trouble because the police always had their eyes on us and we knew that any sort of fighting would lead to us being banned from the property. So we just kept moving spots until the guy found us and then we'd move again. Long story short he ended up ******* with the wrong guy in a bar room one night and they went out to fight in the parking lot. He ended up getting stabbed to death with HIS OWN screwdriver. From what I've heard the guy who did the killing got off. Moral of the story: Fighting/violence is very rarely necessary, but sometimes it is the only way. Bad people eventually get whats coming to them.

I'll leave you with this ancient Indian Proverb:
    "Sit on the bank of a river and wait: Your enemy's corpse will soon float by."

Charlie Xray

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Maybe it is coincidence, but I keep hearing and reading about these confrontations lately and always involving blacks. We have had 3 in the New Orleans area involving cops recently. I had one person chase me down and chew me out, because he was convinced I cut him off - and he had his kid in the car! I really don't think I did unless he was speeding. This guy was otherwise clean-cut and a family looking type driving a nice car, not some gangsta with his pants around his knees. What kind of risk is that to take with your kid? And what kind of lesson is that for the kid?

I may be wrong but this seems to be increasing and I am suspecting it will get worse as the election draws near.

CX

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I think overall we handled it as best we could. I never drew my gun but did have my hand on it ready and my friend would have driven away had they driver come at us. We both decided that flight would have been the best option in this situation.

You did perfectly man, perfectly.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I may be wrong but this seems to be increasing and I am suspecting it will get worse as the election draws near.

CX

I know a LEO who is very concerned about this...their sense of entitlement and celebration will likely become extreme based on what happens in neighborhoods on New Years & July 4th.

I think it is a very valid concern.

Remember that we live in Louisiana, black people here as a whole hate whites, asians, and hispanics...and everyone else, really, including other blacks.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    OP, you and your friend did what was right. you avoided confrontation, but at the same time were prepared for the avoidance to not work.

Charlie Xray

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    What does it have to do with the election? If BHO loses, and I think he will, the dems WILL scream stolen election just like they did for the last two, and that will make the situation much worse than it should be. If he wins I am afraid of what some blooming idiot might do, and that will make the situation infinitely worse.

CX

Top Bottom