Handgun for a 12 year old ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Son and I have been talking about shooting more and looking for advice on handguns . Can kids (12) shoot competition and whats the best gun / caliber ?

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    The mosquito is notorious for reliability issues.
    Ruger MKs or Browning Buckmarks are top notch rimfire pistols.
    This, on both counts.
    The mosquito pistols are ammo sensitive for one, they seem to prefer CCI mini mags and stingers ok.
    I also saw one with some firing pin issues.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    Buckmark or Ruger MK's if you want a tried-and-true target .22lr pistol. Beretta makes a nice one as well.

If you want to start corrupting him early, I recommend the Sig 1911-22 or the Colt equivalent.

This would be useful to train him to disassemble and clean a "formal" gun, so when he eventually gets a real 1911, he would know how to care for it.

jonesnola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Luling, LA
    My son started shooting a .22 at steel matches at 10. Didn't last long, he switched to a m&p 9mm within 3 months. Save your money, get a 9mm. He shot his first uspsa match two months before his 11th birthday.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    22/45 Lite's are already on the shelves. Jim's had one last time I was there.

The Sig Mosquito is the biggest P.O.S., even Sig hates them. (Was told this by one of their customer service peeps)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    At 12, like Robert said, a 9mm in Production Division for USPSA would be plenty fine. With proper technique, I don't care if he's the smallest kid in his elementary school-- shouldn't be a problem.

The other option, and it's a full blown one, would be an Open gun. The size, cost and noise of the gun aside-- they are by far the easiest to shoot well, especially for those lacking the size/strength of their adult counterparts. We have several regular lady shooters who run Open guns-- including a 12 year old-- with no problems. They eliminate a lot of the considerations by way of function that can trouble youngsters-- recoil management, multiple mag changes... aiming...

Obviously, cost'll be the issue there. Just how much do you love your son? :mamoru:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    How about a gen4 glock 34 (with no Backstrap the grip is more than small enough for young hands) down load his ammo a bit to run well with a lighter recoil spring and have softer recoil.

The bigger gun will have more mass, making him feel MUCH less recoil when paired off with light loads and a light recoil spring.

Lighten up the trigger pull a bit too.

Total investment with good sights would be <$800. And he'll love you forever, not to mention grow up shooting the Same gun.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    My 11yo granddaughter has been shooting her dad's .22 Ruger for at least two years and is pretty good at it.

Her interest is in archery, tho.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Think we've narrowed it down to a 9mm . Looking at glock ,springfield and s&w .

Unless it's gonna be a surprise, you might want to get him involved at this point to make the final decision.

The lot of pistols you just mentioned would all suit him well.

I'd actually give the advantage to the Glock overall, as the product support is going to be the best due to their popularity. Go with a Gen 4 if you take that route, as you'll have better luck with comfort (new backstrap options) and the mag release is infinitely better than previous Generations. They're also the easiest to work on, so if you wanna do some trigger part/spring replacement and what not, it's not gonna be an afternoon/evening of cursing as you learn how to tear down and reassemble the thing.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Unless it's gonna be a surprise, you might want to get him involved at this point to make the final decision.

The lot of pistols you just mentioned would all suit him well.

I'd actually give the advantage to the Glock overall, as the product support is going to be the best due to their popularity. Go with a Gen 4 if you take that route, as you'll have better luck with comfort (new backstrap options) and the mag release is infinitely better than previous Generations. They're also the easiest to work on, so if you wanna do some trigger part/spring replacement and what not, it's not gonna be an afternoon/evening of cursing as you learn how to tear down and reassemble the thing.

+1

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If possible, you may see about letting him shoot an example of all 3 and decide which one he likes best.

I'd tell him to not focus so much on the trigger (or just ignore what he says about that) as you'll probably be changing it out dramatically anyway. Instead, how well he can grip it during the firing cycle, how well his finger reaches the proper interface with the trigger's surface, how well it handles in recoil, etc.

Strong chance you'll be swapping sights out as well-- most factories are junk by default. So another thing to not really take into account.

And as an aside, every last one of those guns are oversprung to Hell and back from the factory (all designed around 124 grain NATO hotness). Even if you stick to 115 grain factory-- regardless of brand-- you'll be able to change that as well and tame some of the violence of the slide opening and closing, making it seem like the gun is shooting softer. If you end up loading ammo, you can tweak it all the way down to make it as flat as humanly possible.

Top Bottom