Handgun storage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I've been looking into storage ideas for my handguns. I have about half a dozen now, and basically I have them in the cases they came in and/or in range bag type soft cases. Just want to get them organized a bit more. I kind of like the big pelican cases, but they're kind of expensive.

Any other ideas, considering I don't really have any long guns.

~rc~

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    with the amount of money you have spend in guns you could have EASILY spend $600 and buy a safe that will not only protect them from fire but also being stolen or even used by a child, just a thought, they are investments IMO.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I have about the same number of handguns. I bought a fairly inexpensive safe from Bass Pro. It's a bit larger than a microwave oven and I have a dehumidifier in it.

Got most of my guns and knives in it. To get real fire protection, you are going to have to spend a lot more money.

I don't have children in my house. If some are going to visit, I put my ready guns [one in my desk and one bedside] in the safe. All my grandchildren are over a day's drive away, unfortunately. :love:

Last edited:

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Depends on the safe.

The average house fire is around 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Unless you have a specially made room, a metal safe (even a fire safe) is going to be 800 degrees Fahrenheit inside. The safe may be fine afterwards, but your finishes will be toast, any plastic part will be toast, wood will start to turn to charcoal, and you will see changes in the metal parts of you firearms - especially if it is rapidly cooled by a large amount of water.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The average house fire is around 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Unless you have a specially made room, a metal safe (even a fire safe) is going to be 800 degrees Fahrenheit inside. The safe may be fine afterwards, but your finishes will be toast, any plastic part will be toast, wood will start to turn to charcoal, and you will see changes in the metal parts of you firearms - especially if it is rapidly cooled by a large amount of water.

Fort Knox Titan 7241; This baby was not cheap!

Aside from the higher than average fire protection, It was proven that many of the less expensive gun safes can also be easily broken into. They ain't getting into this one!

solidheart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fort Knox Titan 7241; This baby was not cheap!

Aside from the higher than average fire protection, It was proven that many of the less expensive gun safes can also be easily broken into. They ain't getting into this one!

You got a great safe! Fort knox is a well constructed safe. American security BF series is another good safe. They make A BF series home safe which is shorter in height and ideal for half a dozen hand guns. BF series is constructed of concrete fire proof material, half inch solid plate in the door, and dual steel liners in the body which makes it a good fire and burglary safe. Bolt it down for extra security. http://www.safes4you.com/

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Sorry to threadjack, but...

I've always figured my guns would be toast if my house ever burned, but that's why you have insurance. Something I've always been unsure about, though, is what happens to the ammo? I'd imagine it would all go boom, with either spectacular or catastrophic results (depends how long it takes the fire dept to show up). Anyone have any knowledge/experience? And if it's dangerous, what's a good solution to safely store ammo where it won't harm anyone if the house catches fire?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sorry to threadjack, but...

I've always figured my guns would be toast if my house ever burned, but that's why you have insurance. Something I've always been unsure about, though, is what happens to the ammo? I'd imagine it would all go boom, with either spectacular or catastrophic results (depends how long it takes the fire dept to show up). Anyone have any knowledge/experience? And if it's dangerous, what's a good solution to safely store ammo where it won't harm anyone if the house catches fire?

Must admit, never thought about that. I would only guess, the degree of heat needed to discharge a cartridge inside a safe, must be alot higher then the averge fire temp. I would think if that not the case, we (meaning gun enthusiasts), would surely have heard about it. I have never.

Would love to know though. might be a you tube demo somewhere?

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Must admit, never thought about that. I would only guess, the degree of heat needed to discharge a cartridge inside a safe, must be alot higher then the averge fire temp. I would think if that not the case, we (meaning gun enthusiasts), would surely have heard about it. I have never.

Would love to know though. might be a you tube demo somewhere?

Hmm... or we could do an informal experiment- throw a couple boxes of ammo in a bonfire:run:. I'll supply the ammo if someone wants to be the designated tosser! :p

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I have heard from "experts" that ammo does not pose a significant risk to firefighters in a house fire. They contend that when the brass case gets hot enough to ignite the powder inside, the pressure release is through the weakened case wall and the projectile, being heavier than the case, does not "shoot". But the case can gain velocity and cause minor damage. I'm not sure that I would test that theory but it makes sense to me. Now a keg of powder may be a different story but since it is stored in plastic/cardboard I don't know.

southlaems

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Houma, LA
    I am a firefighter and attended a confrence class on this in the past. I was told that the powder will explode when heated through the jacket and there is no projectile. Never tested that though.

I did see bullets thrown into a fire by a guy thinking they would shoot. We backed off for a while because we didn't know what they would do. There were a few pops but no one got hit so that leads me to believe the theory true.

JM2c

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Ammo in fires will NOT shoot, eventhough the heat on the casing will still generate the required pressure, it will follow the path of least resistance which is cracking the casing and not pushing the bullet out, actually the biggest problem with ammo in a fire is the primer that DOES fly away at speed otherwise you lucky if the projectile moves 2 feet from the fire.

Top Bottom