Has it always been like this?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I am pretty new in the "ways of the world" as far as politics and whatnot goes but has it always been like this? Seems like the world is ALWAYS going to **** in one way or another. Fiscal cliff!!!! Gun Ban!!! End of freedom!! End of free speech!! New World Order!!! 16.5TRillion in debt!! China is taking over!! lol

I just don't ever remember hearing this much bad stuff before but like I said... im pretty new to this stuff, never was really interested in it before. Are people just becoming idiots are has it always been this way?

I sometimes think that the impending doom of a revolution/apocalypse is a good thing... the only way to weed out the idiots. Only the strong/well preped will survive?!?

Last edited:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    One of the biggest problems with society that I see is that dumb people breed more than smart people (not that you don't know that already)

The movie Idiocracy sums it up pretty well. (Dumbest, best movie ever)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

hpcatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Greater New Orleans Area
    This trend was greatly accelerated when publishers and networks stopped thinking of their news departments as public services, breaking even or operating at a marginal loss, and started looking to their departments to generate revenue. Investigative reporting was one of the first line items to be scrapped, then programming turned to syndication and sound bites for ratings. The shorter news cycles of 24 hour tv stations have only exacerbated this. (The issue of reporting news versus promoting agendas is a topic for another post.)

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    The sensationalist mentality is pretty normal in today's world. That being said, the debt is a Serious issue, far more serious than any possible gun ban. Why? Because the Debt is real, and here right now. And if we don't do something Soon the idiots in congress, god bless their pointed little heads, are going to so thoroughly trash our economy we could see real riots over prices and entitlements.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I don't think the level of uncertainty has ever been a great as it is now.. However there has always been uncertainty...

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I am pretty new in the "ways of the world" as far as politics and whatnot goes but has it always been like this? Seems like the world is ALWAYS going to **** in one way or another. Fiscal cliff!!!! Gun Ban!!! End of freedom!! End of free speech!! New World Order!!! 16.5TRillion in debt!! China is taking over!! lol

Social hysteria has been around a long time. Pretty good video that expresses my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Some people choose to prepare for some type of wide spread problem whether it is economical, natural disaster, or something else. They would rather make sure that have the capability to take care of themselves and their loved ones, and hope they never have to.

Others like to go through life believing that nothing happened before, so it can't happen now. America will be the single exception to all historical precedent and always be the worlds most powerful nation till the end of time. And the American Dollar will be the one currency in the history of the world that never fails. And if something does happen, the government will be there to take care of you.

You just have to ask yourself which of those sounds sillier.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Some people choose to prepare for some type of wide spread problem whether it is economical, natural disaster, or something else. They would rather make sure that have the capability to take care of themselves and their loved ones, and hope they never have to.

Others like to go through life believing that nothing happened before, so it can't happen now. America will be the single exception to all historical precedent and always be the worlds most powerful nation till the end of time. And the American Dollar will be the one currency in the history of the world that never fails. And if something does happen, the government will be there to take care of you.

Brilliant post.

How arrogant/naive to believe that precisely what happened to Egypt, Persia, Rome, France, Britain couldn't possibly happen to us. For many of the same reasons.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Brilliant post.

How arrogant/naive to believe that precisely what happened to Egypt, Persia, Rome, France, Britain couldn't possibly happen to us. For many of the same reasons.

This is always my argument. History repeats itself, and we as Americans are not exempt from that just because we are Americans.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

There's a fine line between preparation and paranoia. There has always been some form of pending doom as far back as I, my parents, and their parents can remember. Bad things can and do happen, though they are usually not nearly as bad or likely as people let themselves believe.

Have I taken steps to prepare myself and family for the next hurricane, financial crisis, SHTF, whatever? Absolutely. Does it interfere with my daily life or keep me up at night? No. It's all about balance.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    The internet has been one of the main culprits as more and more people have become wired in, but there has always been a threat from some evil empire. I remember when I was twelve, someone brought a chain letter to church claiming Proctor & Gamble were satan worshipers and pointing out satanic symbols in their brand logo. With the internet, these things just spread faster.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    There's a fine line between preparation and paranoia. There has always been some form of pending doom as far back as I, my parents, and their parents can remember. Bad things can and do happen, though they are usually not nearly as bad or likely as people let themselves believe.

Have I taken steps to prepare myself and family for the next hurricane, financial crisis, SHTF, whatever? Absolutely. Does it interfere with my daily life or keep me up at night? No. It's all about balance.

Exactly. There is great profit in fear-mongering. I've watched those guys come and go over the years. From the OPEC embargo, to Y2K, to the Mayan calendar.
    I do, however, see far more worrying threats on the horizon. And some of them are real.

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    There has always been uncertainty. And yes, there always will be.

One of the biggest differences now is that the whole world is connected. Internet, satellite tv, cell phones that have capability to share video virtually instantly around the world. 24 hour news.

Someone farts at a location around the world and we know about it. There's basically nowhere to hide.

Statistics show that violent crime in the US has actually been declining over the past 20 years, but when something does happen, it's sensationalized on TV over and over again.

So take comfort in knowing the world has always been crazy, but now we know exactly how crazy.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    absolutely- there are always "topics of the day", and there has always been some "impending doom". We as humans thrive on war, violence, negativity, and the like. Analyze any broadcast stations' ratings per show, any new channel's headlines, or simply "like" your local news channel on facebook. 9 negative or terrible stories to every 1 warm-fuzzy feeling story. Its just the way it is, and its truly sad.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joquinn1234567
    Top Bottom