Have Land, Want to Set Up Combat Style Shooting Range in BR; Suggestions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have a few hundred acres in EBR and am considering setting up some type of gun related outdoor range, maybe combat self defense, rifles, skeet/trap, etc.

I know Palo Alto is a nice place, but it's not convenient for many shooters in EBR and the neighboring communities.

If I commit to it, can it pay for itself? Any suggestions on how I might set this up?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    it will not pay for itself unless you run it as a full time business with training and retail. Now, if you ust push up a berm and want to shoot, then that is as easy as renting a dozer.....but I would not make it open to the general population?

It all depends onhow elaborate you want to get.

Is the land already clear?

Are there any zoning issues? EPA issues?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    it will not pay for itself unless you run it as a full time business with training and retail. Now, if you ust push up a berm and want to shoot, then that is as easy as renting a dozer.....but I would not make it open to the general population?

It all depends onhow elaborate you want to get.

Is the land already clear?

Are there any zoning issues? EPA issues?

I would have to run it as a business! But I have a full time business, so I would have to set up yet another business, which is no problem. I just couldn't be there on a regular basis. But not worried about that end.

I can shoot on it already so no big deal there, I would like it to generate a profit.

Not cleared yet, working on mitigation bank on parts of it. That will dictate what I can and can't do more than anything else. We hunt it primarily, and that's just groovy with LDW&F and parish LEO's but alas it just sits.

I suppose I would need to see who is going to have a problem with it, you know someone is?!? And decide if it's feasible or worth the headaches. And I am not opposed to using it for handgun/firearms training, etc. The more I involve people for the good of the sport the better, right? And it certainly wouldn't hurt to have local LEO's feel comfortable coming by.

Would it make money? I can't do it for the good of humanity, I have partners.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just like NOLA has said, it won't make money unless you run it as a business. You will have to train folks and run a retail store there to make any money. Also, if you have any neighbors close and I mean within a few miles, you will be asking for trouble. The range protection act passed a few years ago will not protect you since it would be a new facility. Another point I would like to make is, if a round from your facility can make it to another parish, then they have they ability to shut you down as well. Ask the members from the Baton Rouge R&P Club how that works.
    Before you do anything else, one make sure you really want to do this. i would love to see another shooting range in the area. However, you are opening yourself up to a big headache and libility risk in doing this. The first item on your agenda should be to check the NRA regs and spec on an outdoor range, you will be held to those standards if something happens.
    If there is more information I cna help you with, please feel free to contact me with a PM. I wish you the best, I just want you to understand what your getting into.

Beauxdog

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    not easily. If you had a professional firearms trainer to go into business with, or if you take enough classes to be able to do professional level training, then maybe. Just to rent range space, no. The liability insurance will eat up any hopes of making a profit.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    EBR is not to easy to deal with but it would be nice to have. Probably needs to be out in the middle of nowhere and that's not easy in EBR.

Top Bottom