hay...not hey

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I'm looking for some small bales of hay or pine straw to use for a backstop for a backyard pellet gun/archery range. Does anyone here know where I could find some on the northshore between Hammond and Slidell? If I have to go to the southshore to get some, I will. I just don't have a reason to go south too often. Thanks.

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know that area so I can't help with anything specific, but try a garden/plant/nursery store. I used to think the place you'd get those at was farm and feed places which aren't too common, but I found out a while back that those plant places like Clegg's and Louisiana Nursery in Baton Rouge often carry hay bales to use as garden mulch. Those places are a lot more common than the farming places too. Hope that narrows it down a little.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You could probably convince a farmer to take some bales off their hands or offer to buy some. Just have to find the right guy.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I have a coworker that offered one of those giant round bales of hay. It's a little too much for me though. Hoping to find the smaller rectangular bales. I drove all over LaCombe, Mandeville and part of Covington last weekend looking for some with no luck.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    It's Halloween... you can pick up small (about the size of a cinderblock or large shoebox) at Wal-Mart, Spirit Halloween, etc. They are bound with metal wire and stack really well. May be a perfect little setup for what you're trying to accomplish.

Also, might I suggest the Gamo Rocker Pellet Trap Target at Academy... $24.99

10078791.jpg

The targets pop up and lock when hit... then reset when the last target is contacted.

Hope it helps.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Check out "O'Keefe Feed and Seed"

Located by the 22nd JDC Court
    900 N. Columbia Street
    Covington, LA 70433
    Phone (985) 892-4101

http://www.okeefefeedandseed.com/

They have hay bales. Picked up some deer corn last week on my way back from 22nd JDC and they were loading tons of it onto trailers.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If you wait until after Halloween you might find some of the side of the street that was used for decorations

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    I don't know that area so I can't help with anything specific, but try a garden/plant/nursery store. I used to think the place you'd get those at was farm and feed places which aren't too common, but I found out a while back that those plant places like Clegg's and Louisiana Nursery in Baton Rouge often carry hay bales to use as garden mulch. Those places are a lot more common than the farming places too. Hope that narrows it down a little.

I thought he specifically asked for something in between Hammond and Slidell. That's why I wasn't going to bring up anything in BR ;)

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Usually Home Depot or Lowes has bales of Pine Straw for about $5 a bale. The Home Depot in BR on Highland has it and the Lowes in Gonzales on Airline also has it.
    It's usually in a tractor trailer next to the nursery.

Bryan

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Ponchatoula Feed & Seed on Hwy. 22 also has hay bales.

I will most likely be passing through Ponchatoula tomorrow, might have to stop by there.

Check out "O'Keefe Feed and Seed"

Located by the 22nd JDC Court
    900 N. Columbia Street
    Covington, LA 70433
    Phone (985) 892-4101

http://www.okeefefeedandseed.com/

They have hay bales. Picked up some deer corn last week on my way back from 22nd JDC and they were loading tons of it onto trailers.

I thought he specifically asked for something in between Hammond and Slidell. That's why I wasn't going to bring up anything in BR ;)

I've never been in that place before. Didn't end up that far north last weekend. I might have to stop there if I can't find what I am looking for in Poncahtoula.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    This guy sells rolls and bales. Been meaning to call him myself. Need some old bales for erosion control. five zero 4 three 5 two six zero 6 eight
    Old Military Rd. close to Hwy 40

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge

I was mentioning plant places in general, to give him an idea of what kind of places to look for because as far as I'm aware those are chains with locations in other places. But yeah I see what you did there. :p

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    I was mentioning plant places in general, to give him an idea of what kind of places to look for because as far as I'm aware those are chains with locations in other places. But yeah I see what you did there. :p

:D just messing around

Last edited:
    Top Bottom