Hb 27

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgwalt1

Straight Edge
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Rep. Wooton pre-filed HB 27 yesterday. This is also known as the former HB 199, to allow concealed handgun permit holders to carry on college campuses. Info can be found here.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    JG, I didn't know you were on here. Hopefully you are not sick this time and can come to the capitol and lobby with us! I will be calling Rep. Wooten in the next couple of days to see when this thing goes to committee. I think we will win this time, it passed committee last year like 11-3 and then the pay raise made a big stink and Wooten made the right choice and pulled it. Also, we have another years time between us and the VT shooting so people will not be able to call it a knee jerk reaction this time! Wish us luck

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/politics/40697442.html

Bill filed to allow guns on La. college campuses

By JORDAN BLUM
    Advocate Capitol News Bureau
    Published: Mar 4, 2009 - Page: 10A - UPDATED: 12:05 a.m.

Round two is about to begin in the fight to allow licensed handguns on college campuses now that legislation is filed for the second straight year.

State Rep. Ernest Wooton, R-Belle Chasse, this week filed House Bill 27, which is identical to his failed legislation from a year ago to allow concealed handguns on campuses.

“I told everyone I was bringing it back, and I brought it back,” Wooton said Tuesday. “It’s not an open invitation for anyone to carry a gun on campus. It’s properly permitted only.

“It’s our constitutional right to defend ourselves,” he said.

State colleges adamantly opposed the legislation last year and likely will do so again. Last year, LSU officials even complained the legislation could allow guns in Tiger Stadium during football games.

LSU Chancellor Michael Martin, who was not yet at LSU during the 2008 legislative session, said he sees no reason to support HB27.

“I’m new to the debate, but I can’t personally fathom how guns would improve the safety,” Martin said.

The legislation could force “threatening situations” on innocent students by having more guns on campus, he said.

New Southeastern Louisiana University President John Crain also is joining the debate in opposition to HB27.

“That’s a scary thing for the universities,” Crain said. “It would have a chilling effect.

“The prospect of introducing guns on campus, it’s just really hard for me to believe that doesn’t detract from safety on campus,” Crain said.

The state’s list of “firearm-free zones” now includes schools and colleges.

Utah is the only state that allows handguns on campuses. Several other states have rejected proposed college handgun bills in recent years.

A string of college murders nationwide began in 2007 with the rampage murders of 33 Virginia Tech students.

Then later in 2007 two international students were murdered at LSU and there was a 2008 murder-suicide in a classroom at the Louisiana Technical College campus in Baton Rouge.

“My motivation wasn’t Virginia Tech,” said Wooton, who is a former sheriff. “I’ve been thinking about this a number of years. The timing may have played in a little bit.”

Wooton said the legislation could “deter some crazy” from shooting on a campus if someone other than a police officer might shoot back.

“Most crazies … don’t seem to care who shoots back,” responded Martin. “That’s the definition of crazy to me.”

Martin also said someone irresponsible could easily take a gun from another person “in the heat of the moment.”

HB27 would make it legal to carry licensed handguns on all public and private colleges, from technical schools to universities.

To apply for a permit, a Louisiana resident must be at least 21 years old, take training courses and not have a felony record.

The bill, which was backed last year by the National Rifle Association, would forbid colleges from limiting the rights of gun owners from carrying concealed handguns.

The bill would only allow colleges to regulate the safeguarding of guns when they are put away.

Art

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Just got off the phone with the Editor for the Capitol Bureau of the Advocate trying to explain to him an error in an article. The article says that "HB27 would make it legal to carry licensed handguns on all public and private colleges, from technical schools to universities." This is NOT true!! First of all it says nothing of allowing permit holders to carry on campus, secondly WE DO NOT LICENSE HANDGUNS!! The editor tried to tell me that the bill uses licensed and permitted synonymously. I told him that they are synonyms, but only when referring to the actual permit. It can be called a Concealed Weapons Permit or License either way its the same thing, but handguns are not permitted or licensed!! I asked him to fix the article online, and I hope he does. It's articles like this that cause a problem and can be a potential roadblock for a good bill

L

Louisiana Shooter

McNeese State University Police Chief Cinnamon Salvador has been illegally using her position as a state employee to lobby against HR 27. She did this last year, too. Since she won't stop, I am filing a complaint against her with the Ethics Board. Here is a summary of my complaint:

On or about March 4nd, 2009 Cinnamon Salvador, Police Chief at McNeese State University, took a call on her office telephone, which is paid for by the university. The call was from a reporter from FM 96.1 asking for her comment on HB 27. Chief Salvador lobbied heavily against H.B. 27, in violation of Louisiana Law. When I spoke to her about this, she claimed that she was giving her personal opinion, not speaking for her department. At no time did she make that qualification in the interview. Furthermore, Louisiana Law requires that state employees who wish to express personal opinions about pending legislation to reporters do so on their own time using their own devices.

If state employees in your area are illegally lobbying by using any state resources, get all the details and file a notarized complaint. Here is the address:

Louisiana Board of Ethics
    P.O. Box 4368
    Baton Rouge, LA 70821

My rep, Chuck Kleckly, told me again today that he opposes the bill because Chief Salvador opposes the bill. We need to keep pressure on our Representatives, and we need to have the laws enforced that prohibit the undue influence of state employees on the legislative process. State emloyees are entitled to have opinions, but they need to express them on their own time using there own resources.

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm surprised The Advocate ran the story...They turned me down 2 weeks ago on Classified Ads because they don't condone the selling of Assault Weapons...Even though they had 3 listed. After speaking with the supervisor she said "Oh those just slipped".

Back on the subject...I'll take time tomorrow to write a letter to mine with a daughter in college so that when she turns of age to get her CCW she can protect herself.

I do have some mixed emotions about this subject though...Inexperienced shooters in class when other bullets start flying???

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Just got off the phone with the Editor for the Capitol Bureau of the Advocate trying to explain to him an error in an article. The article says that "HB27 would make it legal to carry licensed handguns on all public and private colleges, from technical schools to universities." This is NOT true!! First of all it says nothing of allowing permit holders to carry on campus, secondly WE DO NOT LICENSE HANDGUNS!! The editor tried to tell me that the bill uses licensed and permitted synonymously. I told him that they are synonyms, but only when referring to the actual permit. It can be called a Concealed Weapons Permit or License either way its the same thing, but handguns are not permitted or licensed!! I asked him to fix the article online, and I hope he does. It's articles like this that cause a problem and can be a potential roadblock for a good bill

In Louisiana it's a CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT. It's not a concealed weapon permit or license. If we are going to try to tell the paper how to print it we need to get it right. Some states have concealed weapon permits that cover different kinds of weapons, but not us. CHP only.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom