Heads up.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    There have been emails circulating for awhile about gangs and others marking vehicles or following them home from shooting events in Texas and stealing guns out of vehicles while the owner was in a restaurant or overnight. It happened to a couple of local people yesterday. I don't know where the skeet shoot was but multiple vehicles were broken in to overnight and only guns were taken. This is a PSA reminder not to leave firearms in the vehicle overnight, especially if you have a nice competition gun.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Debunked???? That's kinda ridiculous (sic) to say. The man made a good point regardless if someone's guns got stolen..It's not a very good practice to leave your weapons in your vehicle...Period!!!!!

I can't find the threads, or even recall which board(s) they were on. The original e-mail that went around about 2 years ago focused specifically on the NSSA-NSCA Nats. In those threads, over a dozen competitors and the Match Director himself all affirmed that no such thefts had taken place.

Since then, the email has been modified, though Clays seem to be a common element to all of them. Some even have pictures of marked tires, both from the installation team and from meter maids.

It's a valid point to not leave valuables in your vehicle, for sure. But the story itself has never been confirmed-- quite the opposite, in fact.

Truth be told, as anyone who travels to Major Matches will tell you, marking the cars would be pointless. All one has to do is drive around after the range clears to the nearby hotels; folks in jerseys toting all manner of (obvious) firearms gear are all over the place.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Debunked???? That's kinda rediculous to say. The man made a good point regardless if someone's guns got stolen..It's not a very good practice to leave your weapons in your vehicle...Period!!!!!

Sinster might be referring to this. I've seen the e-mail warning myself, but I haven't been able to get a confirmation from people who would know about it, FWIW. But even if it is only a rumor, like you said- the OP's message reminds everyone that your vehicle is not a gun safe. :)

http://www.snopes.com/crime/intent/gunshop.asp

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    There ya go, though I had never read that Snopes article before. Kinda cooky they picked up on it.

Some of those official statements were linked in the threads I recall, though the greater part of them were objections from folks who had been to/worked the event.

Yeah, I know! I hate Snopes- but sometimes they'll get things completely right. :D

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I took two of the theft reports, that count for anything? One vehicle actually had a wallet full of cash that wasn't touched, just the firearms.

Probably not on this board, but do you have any leads on what gangs might be involved who to look out for and what area?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I took two of the theft reports, that count for anything? One vehicle actually had a wallet full of cash that wasn't touched, just the firearms.

It does, and I'll spread the word amongst the competition community.

Did they mark the cars as per the old e-mails? (Can you even disclose those type of details?)

Wonder if these stories actually gave some non-thinkers the idea...?

Top Bottom