Help me "bubba" up my AK

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I have an AK (well, a PAP M92 AK Pistol) that I want to accessorize. Any AK owners that are out there have any "Must Have"s that they recommend doing to this weapon (or to an AK)?

Before the responses start rolling in, please refrain from the hardcore AK type responses of "LEAVE IT ALONE" or "WHY RUIN IT". They will not sway my decision as I've already performed some of these options. Also, please do not give suggestions like "CHANGE IT BACK" or "REMOVE (INSERT ADD-ON NAME HERE)".

Currently I have done the following...

1. Added Sig SB47 Brace
    2. Added Magpul AK Grip
    3. Dremmeled off the tac-weld and removed the thread protector
    4. Added the Muzzle detent Pin and Spring
    5. Added the Booster Muzzle Device
    6. Added top rail between rear sight and top cover hinge.

What I am still debating...

1. Adding the retainer plate
    2. Adding the 4 piece brake instead of the Booster
    3. Adding the Rapid Fire Technology Sig Brace Single Point Sling Loop Adapter
    4. Adding the Midwest Industries Quad Rail handguard system
    5. Getting the thread converter to add a 7.62 can
    6. Adding Magpul AFG2 (Conditional)

I've already checked and the side mount to support a top rail isn't compatible, nor are the top cover hinged rails. Otherwise I would have railed the whole top of the receiver cover.

Reasons for the choices I have made so far...

1. Sig Brace - Obvious and Self Explanatory
    2. Magpul AK grip - I tired the Hogue grip which felt too "thick" and didn't like how thin the stock grip was. The Magpul, along with feeling like my AR grip, just felt better and put my hand in a better position/angle on the weapon.
    3. Thread Protector - Removal of the thread protector was to support adding a muzzle device. The thread protector is tac-welded on for some reason on the M92, however not on the M85. The process was easy, Dremmel to remove a large bit of the weld, then hand-filed the rest down until I was able to turn the thread protector (duct taped the thread protector and used channel locks to turn it), if you do this, remember the threads are COUNTER CLOCKWISE!.
    4. Detent Pin and Spring - Adding the Muzzle brake detent pin and spring are to prevent the muzzle device from backing off.
    5. Muzzle Device - The Booster Muzzle device choice was more of a "it was on sale" than it was based on anything else. After researching, I would rather have the 4 piece brake.
    6. Top Rail - I added the top rail on the top cover to facilitate the use of a rail-mounted optic. There are really no options other than either adding a railed handguard or the top rail section. It was very easy to install, though you have to tap the screw holes yourself. There is a kit that comes with the drill bit and tapper, which is a VERY easy process and took me about 20 minutes. I did notice that the CNC Warrior version of this rail utilizes 4 screws, where the Rapid Fire Technology version only uses two.

Reasons for the future add-ons that I am debating (What I need the help with)...

1. Retainer Plate - I don't know much about them or their uses. I have just read that they are a very useful upgrade to any AK.
    2. 4 piece brake - As I said above, I would rather that brake instead of the booster... however, if I plan on suppressing it, should I really spend the $90 on a brake when the suppressor will more than likely stay on it.
    3. The single point sling adapter - this again is pretty self explanatory. The M92 doesn't have any real "sling" points. I mean the small loop by the muzzle can be used, but who wants a sling with only one point connected at the muzzle?? So... the CNC Warrior sling point is set too far forward and interferes with effectively holding the weapon properly. The Rapid Fire Technology sling loop sits a lot further back on the Sig Brace (it actually attaches to the brace) and doesn't impede your hand on the grip.
    4. Midwest industries Quad Rail Handguard - to me, it just looks the smoothest. I looked at ALL of them, believe me... MI even has a Keymod version... but I would more than likely go with just the quad rail. Samson makes one, but again, I just prefer the MI version. I ruled out the "modification" of another AK handguard for one that was specifically made for the M92. I also did not consider the polymer handguards. I want full metal.
    5. Thread converter - Once again, self explanatory.
    6. Magpul AFG2 - This is self explanatory as well, but it is only an option if I go with the quad rail system mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Remember, this list is just what I have done and want to do. If there are any options that I SHOULD do to internals, proven upgrades that should be done, etc. That is what this thread is for.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Other than what you have listed I was thinking of the krebs safety lever.

Yeager had some mods that I liked too it's a part series so you could watch them all I like the muzzle break he uses in this video though..http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yEbbqCxhsPg

Unfortunately, the Krabs safety will not fit the M92 receiver pattern from what I've read.

The video you linked shows the 4 piece brake that I wanted to get.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Lake Charles, LA
    The 4-piece "brake" you are referring to is a clone of the Bulgarian version of the booster. It does not really giving any advantages as a muzzle brake. If you want recoil reduction, check out the Manticore Arms Nightbrake or get the 74 style brake. Personally, I never see the point in adding rails to put an AFG on an AK. The hand guard already has an angle to it unlike AR's and a vfg isn't an option since it's a pistol. Of all the upgrades you can make, the best two IMO is the retainer plate and a new trigger. The double hook triggers on these things are just terrible. I polished the crap out of mine and the take up is still horrendous. The best thing tapco makes are their triggers. The retainer plate is just really useful if you ever need to remove the fcg. It turns it from a 5 minute job to a 30 second one.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The 4-piece "brake" you are referring to is a clone of the Bulgarian version of the booster. It does not really giving any advantages as a muzzle brake. If you want recoil reduction, check out the Manticore Arms Nightbrake or get the 74 style brake. Personally, I never see the point in adding rails to put an AFG on an AK. The hand guard already has an angle to it unlike AR's and a vfg isn't an option since it's a pistol. Of all the upgrades you can make, the best two IMO is the retainer plate and a new trigger. The double hook triggers on these things are just terrible. I polished the crap out of mine and the take up is still horrendous. The best thing tapco makes are their triggers. The retainer plate is just really useful if you ever need to remove the fcg. It turns it from a 5 minute job to a 30 second one.

GREAT response! I was up in the air about the brake all together just because of in the end it will be suppressed. As far as adding the rails, it wasn't just for adding the AFG... though it does facilitate it. I do like the feel and angle of the AFG (the wood isn't angled as much). Simply put, and to be honest, I just don't like the wood handguard and want metal. Adding the rail to the top cover fills the need for an optic, but it still limits adding anything like a torch, laser, etc.

I will definitely look into a new trigger and just ordered the retainer plate. Any suggestions on the trigger? Single or Double Stage?

Thanks again for your knowledge and helping with the decision!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Lake Charles, LA
    I don't know how you feel about polymer, but Manticore also makes handguards for the M92 called the Renegade and they look nice and offer a stable mounting point for optics with the option to add rails where you need them. They specially designed the upper hand guard with a metal plate to create what's supposed to be a solid mount. As for the trigger, there is no point in adding a 2-stage in most AK's. This isn't a DMR type, so save some money and grab the Tapco G2. The M92 comes with a double hook, but a single will work as well.

Also, a word of caution: suppressing an AK can be a bit tricky especially when they have the threading on the sight block because they are not always concentric. A lot of people will cut back some or all of the threads there to have the barrel itself threaded so you don't risk a baffle strike. It's an unfortunate side effect of commbloc quality control.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't know how you feel about polymer, but Manticore also makes handguards for the M92 called the Renegade and they look nice and offer a stable mounting point for optics with the option to add rails where you need them. They specially designed the upper hand guard with a metal plate to create what's supposed to be a solid mount. As for the trigger, there is no point in adding a 2-stage in most AK's. This isn't a DMR type, so save some money and grab the Tapco G2. The M92 comes with a double hook, but a single will work as well.

Also, a word of caution: suppressing an AK can be a bit tricky especially when they have the threading on the sight block because they are not always concentric. A lot of people will cut back some or all of the threads there to have the barrel itself threaded so you don't risk a baffle strike. It's an unfortunate side effect of commbloc quality control.

Okay, so I just purchased...

1. a TAPCO G2 Single Hook Trigger Group
    2. a TAPCO Hammer and Trigger Pin Retainer Plate

Thanks again for the advice!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would suggest the midwest ss front rail with the us palm top cover along with a red dot sight. The ss rail has removeable sections for 3, 6 and 9 oclock and is much less bulky.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So here is what I went with...

1. TAPCO G2 double hook Trigger Group
      It initially had a double hook, so I decided afterall to just install a double back in it. I didn't see an advantage to the single over the double. Unless someone here has a reason.

2. TAPCO Hammer and Trigger Pin Retainer Plate
      This option required a slight modification so that it would fit properly. Not to mention the near removal of the trigger to even get the safety lever removed.

3. Midwest Industries M-LOK handguard system
      I have the regular rail system for the M85 and I love it... I also have an M-LOK system on my AR. The regular rail is sold out everywhere, so I figured since I had the rail sections already, why not just go with the M-LOK. It comes with rail sections, but I can also leave them off for comfort.

4. Rapid Fire Tek single point sling adapter
      This adapter is FAR superior to all of the other sling adapters out there. For one, every other one I tried, in order to work with the Sig brace, have to installed with the angle of the loop facing down, toward your hand. That actually makes it impossible (or it could turn very painful) to even fire the weapon because the look is in the way and hits your wrist. The RFT adapter is designed to work specifically with the Sig brace. It attaches to the brace and interlocks with the trigger guard to prevent slippage. It also sits back far enough that it doesn't come in contact with the shooter.

5. CNC Warrior top rail section
      I actually have the Rapid Fire Tek top rail for my M85... this time I went with the CNC Warrior version. It comes with the guide and all tools needed to tap the top cover and attach the rail. The CNC Warrior rail requires four holes for attachment screws where the RFT rail only requires two. The rail fit a little snug and had to be tapped with a hammer to align properly, where the RFT rail sit right on top with no issue at all. Both, when installed correctly, work exactly the same... they provide a top rail to mount something to.

6. Booster brake
      I literally went with this muzzle device because its the same one that came on my M85... and it was on sale.

7. muzzle device Detent Pin and Spring set
      Needed to attach the booster brake listed above.

8. Magpul AFG2
      I think I have the AFG2 on every rifle platform I own. I like the way it feels, its sturdy and keeps my grip consistent across all weapons I fire.

9. Magpul AK Grip
      Aside from obviously keeping my grips consistent as mentioned above... this grip in my opinion is far superior to most if not all out there. I mean, the Hogue grip is nice (especially with the cleaning tool add-on), but it felt a little "thick" to me. The Magpul felt more comfortable.

Pictures coming!

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I would go with Krebs Custom pronged flash hider. The Manticore is good too, but from what I have seen the Krebs is *that* much better. It is KILLER for dealing with the fireball on AK pistols. Apparently they are made of magic because the reviews literally show them completely eliminating flames.

I only run a can on my Sig 556R...only barrel I trust to be concentric to be honest. And it was the same threads as all my other .308 rifles.

You are on the right track for sure, the *pistol* should be pretty dang cool!

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    Just bought a pap m92, can't wait for it to come in. Thanks for this thread as it may help me with some additions of my own.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Here is an idea!

xi9iw01aj81vyvdro8.jpg

rb1ayc6tirja9zuoubhk.jpg

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Officially bubba'd!

Midwest industries M-lok handguard
    CNC Warrior top rail
    CNC Warrior Blaster Muzzle Device
    Muzzle detent pin and spring
    Tapco G2 Trigger
    Rapid Fire Technologies Sling Loop
    tapco pin retaining plate
    Magpul AK grip
    century Arms Brace (Sig Brace rebranded)
    PMag 30 AK magazine
    The rail pieces and hand stop are from my AR. They're the pieces I don't use.

0845f4f4217f98ab861364d087777931.jpg

Now to buy an optic. Low profile that I can cowitness. Which may not be possible with these rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom