Help me decide on a 30-06 hunting rifle...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Why would you worry so much about barrel heat? I couldn't imagine shooting 3+ rounds while hunting within a time period of the barrel not being able to return back to normal. I also can't see myself shooting past 200 yards on a deer or hog within the area which I hunt. All of this is in response on why I can't justify spending $500+ on this rifle. I understand there are better rifles; a lot better. However, sub moa + a nice action + nice chambering + not overly overweight... it's going to do it job; right? I can see spending $1000+ chamberings built to shoot and kill 750+ yards out with ease. But this is not one of those rifles.

I'm going to go look at some Axis II's, Ruger American and the Rem700. Thoughts on the Accutrigger?
    Hey, Pay no attention to heathens on here, Most can't spell deer and will **** in their pants when they see one. Buy what you want or ask around about test firing one.

BO_V

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I've had my barrel hot enough to where it's smells like amonnia
    And it's a tack driver

But I would also go to the gun shows,when ever it comes about
    You may be able to find something there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    Hey, Pay no attention to heathens on here, Most can't spell deer and will **** in their pants when they see one. Buy what you want or ask around about test firing one.

Good idea. Maybe I can find some people here to have some models I may be interested in who go out to honey island.

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    I've had my barrel hot enough to where it's smells like amonnia
    And it's a tack driver

But I would also go to the gun shows,when ever it comes about
    You may be able to find something there

Between the 4 Academy and Bass Pro, I should be able to find what I need. (I believe Academy carries Tikka)

BO_V

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I shoot a 180 grain round through mine
    I did buy some 220 grain rounds for it yrs ago but never shot them

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    How did I get painted as HSLD. I'm always the guy arguing with the guy talking too HSLD. Any of the rifles name here will do the job. Pick what feels best to you and bore sight it. Then take your zeroing it. Give the barrel time to cool between shots.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    For myself, 24. Hunting all across of North America; deer, hogs, elk, ect. As a reloader I would like to see 0.75 MOA to less.

Usually I'd preach .308 for deer hunting in LA, but what you're talking about hunting I'd have to recommend the browning in .300 win mag. If you're a re-loader then it significantly cuts down on price to shoot. The BAR's have some nice offerings (link attached), and top it with a Vortex PST (link attached), then you'd have a deadly combination at distances. The pic is from my buddy last week took a trip a friend's farm in Kentucky. he's shooting a 26" (compensated) browning bolt gun with a vortex crossfire, and this is what he did the first morning in 2 hours:

IMG_1110.jpg

We sighted it in at 3" high at 100yds with varying ammo, and determined it was key-holing with 150gr hornady American whitetail. Several of his shots were over 400yds. It's a very light recoiling gun. I was very impressed shooting it.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...ak-up-infinity-camo-031023229-023614068778.do

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...dium=PLA&utm_term=&utm_campaign=1100003159972

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I own both the 783 in 30/06 and a savage 110 in .270 both are very nice rifles for there price point. In my opinion the stock and trigger are better on the savage. The 783 has molded in sling mounts and if they were to break would mean replacement of the stock. Both rifles are more than up to challenge for accuracy when it comes to white tail hunting. Some things to consider are barrel length when it comes to how you will be hunting. A shorter barrel say 22" works well in a box stand. As for weight they are very close.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know a lot about the Patriots?

Had one in 30-06 and sold it. The rifle seemed fairly well constructed however I was not impressed with the cheap magazine, the action on the Savage was better also.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I will speak up for savage on the accustock and accutrigger. I paid a lil bit more money than what everybody else is offering up though for my savage. Why buy the bottom tier rifle of the brands? If you're going to hunt with it for a while then why not get a better built rifle?

Drummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    NELA
    I bought my daughter a Savage Trophy 11 package with the Nikon in the spring and I really like it and the accutrigger. It's a youth model 243 and seems to be a solid little rifle. Got it for $450 out the door.

s3th

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Mandeville
    I will speak up for savage on the accustock and accutrigger. I paid a lil bit more money than what everybody else is offering up though for my savage. Why buy the bottom tier rifle of the brands? If you're going to hunt with it for a while then why not get a better built rifle?

When keeping everything stock, a 30-06 hunting rifles seems to better off in a 783 vs 700. It has the same stock material, same safety selector, different barrels?, both have good actions with the 700 having tighter tolerances but the 783 having a much better trigger.

Swampghost

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I like the Model 700 much better than the 783. The 700's are finished much better; compare the bores on those two. The Mark X trigger is pretty acceptable on the 700. Can get the 700 ADL at Academy for 349 and there's a $50 rebate. That makes it $299 without the tax on Black Fri sale. Can get a 3-9X49 Nikon Prostaff on Black Friday sale for $99. That's what I'd do in that price range! Those other guns would work just fine, though. I think the Rem 700/Nikon Prostaff combo is the best bang for the buck. BTW...I like the DNZ reaper one piece mounts and rings or Talley light-weight one-piece aluminum mounts and rings. Price competitive, lightweight, and precision made. Best luck and good hunting!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alfred92
    Top Bottom