Help with lee dies

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Hey guys, I'm new to reloading and have a question for someone who uses lee dies. I just got the hornady lock n load ap. I plan to load 9mm and 45acp with some bayou bullets I just ordered:). However, I ordered the lee 4 die sets with the factory crimp die and powder thru expander die. I'm told the powder thru expander die doesn't work with the hornady case fed powder drop. I know I can use it as just an expander, but I wanted to use a powder cop die to help keep and eye on things and needed to save that station. Does the bullet seating die in that set put a crimp on also? In other words, can I just not use the factory crimp die, and install the powder cop, or do I have to use all four dies. What do you guys recommend? I have not used the dies so I can send them back if I need to, or I could just not use the powder cop. Thanks!

Last edited:

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Never mind guys, I just looked at lee's website and the third die is the standard seating and crimping die. I can just use it and leave the factory crimp die off. I wasn't sure because of the description of the die. I can't wait to get started!

Beaver Creek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Denham Springs (Watson Area)
    You will be better off using the 4th die for a taper crimp, especially if your seater die is designed for a roll crimp instead of a taper. Some Lee dies (and others) come with roll crimp capabilities, even for auto cases like your 9mm & 45acp. You can experience some problems if every case length is not exactly the same. I use roll crimps only on bullets with crimp grooves. The crimp on your third die is done with the die body. Simply run an empty case into the die & turn the die until it contacts the case rim then back die out 1/2 turn & lock down. Sorry if I've confused you. Theres a lot to learn but it's all worth it. Good luck.

Top Bottom