Hi-Point Carbine SUPER FUN

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So a few months ago I debated on buying the Hi-point Carbine...

I caved and figured what the heck. Got a .45 with the red dot scope and a front grip.

Initial impressions: cheap and ugly hunk of plastic. The old ones were so ugly I couldn't even stomach holding one in my hands. This is better, but still not "good".

The old version would be one of those girls at the bar that you'd pass out from alcohol poisoning long before you'd get beer goggles for. The new version is the equivalent of about a 6-beer girl. I looked at it thinking "well its not a beauty contest..."

Decided to take it out and see if it had any personality, and took Lil' Ugly out for a few shots.

Verdict: Trigger is clunky, gun feels cheap, and then it went bang. AND IT WAS Absolutely Incredible!! This thing is cheap, and incredible good fun to shoot. I wish the mag were hi-cap, and currently is my only complaint with the gun. I'm told the Kel-Tec carbine accepts Glock mags, so you could go 30 which would be nice, but man this thing is simply fantastic. I won't ignite the forum Rock/Scissors/Paper discussion that usually follows, but I'll say that it is not an awful home defense weapon by any stretch of the imagination. Obviously not a "hunting" weapon, but it would be well served for defending your farm from a critter invasion.

I'll probably only ever use it to punch paper, but if you've got a spare couple hundred bucks laying around you could do worse!

I bought it 2nd hand for $250 btw. Brand new with options listed its $379.00

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I bought the 9mm version recently. Super fun gun to shoot with very little recoil. The accuracy is amazing too. I paid $279 new for mine.

acman1997

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    My buddy has one in 9mm and it's a blast to shoot. Newer version with the foward grip. We put a red dot on it sunday and it was hitting perfect in minutes. Him, myself, and my kids all had a ball shooting it and we were all very accurate with it including my 8 yr old son! I actually love this gun! Not a big fan of highpoint and it is a cheap gun but i have nothing but good to say about it. I have never seen it fail in any way and the accuracy is very good. I plan to get one myself and as you said you could do worse. Good post!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    you know i went all in for the .45, but in retrospect I'd probably get the 9mm. Cheaper ammo, compatible with more of my guns, less recoil...

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    I bought one 2nd hand from a friend, with a broken trigger, and beat to hell for 150 dollars. He took my cash and and sent it back to Hi-point for repairs. 3 weeks later I went to pick it up, and couldn't believe it, it looked brand new. They either changed everything, or replaced the rifle. Either way, Hi-point customer service / repair is top notch in my opinion. I've put about 400 rounds down the barrel without any issues. Its still a butt ugly early model 955, but it shoots great, and goes bang everytime. Now if I could just find some extended mags....

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    995TS.jpg

Ultrafire C8 Q5 5 Mode Cree Led Flashlight with 300 Lumen Output (Amazon 10.31)
    Compact Pistol Gun Picattiny Rail Red Laser Sight (Amazon 19.94)
    Tactical Ergonomic Foregrip with Pressure Switch Area And Battery Compartment Amazon 7.52)
    Ncstar 45 Degree Off-Set Rail Mount Weaver Style Mpr45 (Amazon 12.94)
    Simmons Model 51105 (got in a trade)
    3 995 Carbine Magazines (Hi-Point 10 ea.)
    MAGAZINE HOLDERS (Hi-Point 10 ea.)
    2 ProMag Magazines Product# 699289 (Miway $17.69 ea)
    OFF SET TACTICAL Weapon Mount 1" Diameter (Amazon $7.70)

VERY accurate. Makes nice ragged one hole groups when I do my part!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    St Charles Parish
    I been having my hi-point carbine since 2005 and absolutely love it. Mine has the camo stock and is chambered in 40s&w... Built like and a tank, well over 5000 rounds through it and it keeps tickin. Congrats on your new fugly, lol. They are a blast to shoot.

jared.scoggan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Polk
    I paid $400 in december for a 4095TS, I got extra mags and the mag holder on the buttstock, a 15round mag, different foregrip, and a sightmark holographic sight, duracoated magpul foliage green on the plastic and a tactical black on the barrel and receiver cover, also redid the sight in tactical black, the thing is a blast to shoot! I was surprised at the accuracy right out of the box hitting 100m targets on the pistol range without an issue....

Attachments

• 3849_10151358094265932_1036327652_n.jpg
      3849_10151358094265932_1036327652_n.jpg
      99.2 KB · Views: 82
    • hi point.jpg
      hi point.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 87

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Obviously not a "hunting" weapon, but it would be well served for defending your farm from a critter invasion.

i know several people that use the .45 version for hog and deer hunting up north.

i used to have a beretta cx4 storm .40. i paid 2x as much, and after i played with a buddys hi point i was a bit disappointed i had.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom