Hi Point - Crap or Decent?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    I borrowed a friend's Hi Point 9mm pistol just so I could prove to myself that it was either a piece of crap or it was a decent gun. This particular one was definitely a piece of crap. :D 'Nuf said.

wlwindham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    tell him to send it back to factory , he will get a shooter back , hi point has best guarentee on the market no matter if your first or 100th owner and always sends you a free mag for your trouble , check youtube for the most extreme gun test you will ever see on a hi point and it took damage no other gun couold have taken and kekt firing , its too heavy for CCW but that weight makes it shoot really good and you hit what your aiming at but as a truck gun its good and te carbines are great i have opps had 2 of them , i just ttraded my 995TS today for a 1911 (plus cash), real tack drivers at 125 yards or less

Last edited:

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    tell him to send it back to factory , he will get a shooter back , hi point has best guarentee on the market no matter if your first or 100th owner and always sends you a free mag for your trouble , check youtube for the most extreme gun test you will ever see on a hi point and it took damage no other gun couold have taken and kekt firing , its too heavy for CCW but that weight makes it shoot really good and you hit what your aiming at but as a truck gun its good and te carbines are great i have opps had 2 of them , i just ttraded my 995TS today for a 1911 (plus cash), real tack drivers at 125 yards or less

Thanks, I'll let him know. Hopefully he still has the receipt somewhere. I have seen several youtube videos where they function just fine, but I have heard so much bad talk about them. I wanted to find out for myself. This one kept having fail to feed issues. Many many of the rounds would end up in a vertical position rather than making it into the chamber. Also with the mag release protruding out so far, I kept accidently releasing the mag.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    I shot a buddy's once. The trigger pull reminded my of a dog with worms dragging its ass down a 200 yard gravel driveway. But he liked it and that's all that counts.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

129166191033038097.gif

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Hi-Point Torture test videos:

Check out this series of videos where these guys set out to destroy one to show what piles of junk they were and found out that it was almost indestructible!

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test RELOADED
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt5QB814Tw

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

So what happened to that Hi Point?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HXtEvjlGg

Hi-Point Pistols The Ultimate Test Part 4: Judgement Day
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE

PLEASE watch all of them for a real eye opening experience that will astound you and while it probably won't make ya run out and buy one you WILL have to have a much better opinion of the guns if you are honest with yourself to ANY degree.

Here is another of a series I just ran across with a nice real world evaluation of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ch_IQg-io

PS: I have nothing to do with the videos or Hi-Point. I am just a guy who has sold (formal FFL), owned and shot several.

wlwindham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    those videos were enough to convince to buy one of thier 45's ans it shoots great , shot only +P ball for 200 round break in , its my truck gun , and i just traded off my 995TS but i will be replacing it with the 45 carbine that hi point makes , my 9mm shot great i really loved it , at 125 yards or less it was the most accurate rifle i had , i called it my mini snipper rifle lol . only reasson i traded it was that i want my pistols and rifles to shoot the same cal bullet and as i said my truck gun is 45 and if you look at my avitar or profile pic you will see what my new carry is ,(1911A1)

DontTreadOnMe19

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 31, 2011
    Poplarville, MS
    I have had 2 Hi Points. A .380 and a 9mm. Both were tough little guns. I never had any problems with either, besides feeding problems with certain brands of ammo. My only complaint was the pain in the butt field stripping. Definitely not my favorite gun to field strip. I have since traded both in for my Springfield XD.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    jennings, lorcin, hipernt, and suspecting taurus in some models are IMHO to be regarded as weapons of last defense. In have owned several of these and now would not do so again.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    I have heard crime lab people testify about the Hi-Points used/recovered from various crimes, and the one remark they aways make is that they may be crude, but they always work. Not what I would carry, but I would not laught at someone pointing one at me. Also Madmax, I don't know about fat girls, but don't laugh at scooters, some of them would suprise you.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    They generally work....I had two- count 'em, TWO- malfunctions in that 500 rounds of WWB. But get this...there was almost NO rifling remaining in the bore when I was done.

Yeah, they're junk... but if somebody points one at you, better not laugh...

Welp, I'm sold! :rofl:

Is there any gun you should laugh at when it's pointed at you?

It'll take a beating alright.

Of course in the first video, it had an FTF before any torture and a mud bath locked the .380 up completely.

You'll never blow one up-- especially if you can't get it to chamber a round.

I noticed that too. Starting out a "torture" test with a malfunction under optimal conditions kinda makes everything that comes after meaningless. Forget running it over (in soft mud which does nothing really), just see if the damn thing could make it through a match or intro level pistol class without malfunctioning. Doubtful.

I guess it's better than having nothing...

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    They are part of a new generation of junk. It's new concept in junk semiautomatic handguns. They actually don't seem to jam very often and are reasonably accurate. They don't hold up a great deal of shooting so I don't Hi Points sweeping the USPSA Nationals any time soon. So basically I agree with everything LSP972 said. I will of course be judging all future handguns and their rounds by the ultimate handgun the FN FiveseveN. :)

Dave

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Well SpeedRacer, I did laugh a little (to myself at least) when I had an RG .22 stuck in my left ear during a robbery (WW solids in the cylinder) during a robbery many years back. I knew he would not pull the trigger if I did what he wanted and nothing else during those few seconds. He was a pro at robbery, and I did give up the money in my pocket, but not my employers several hundred dollars that was under my truck seat when he asked for anything else I had. It was one of the few times I was not armed. Smart--------Stupid, who knows, but it was not the first or last time I have been on the pointy end as a civilan or LEO. Suck it up and get on with the war
    Point taken. All deadly force encounters MUST be take seriously. No mater what piece of crap is pointed at you. People scoff a knives, BUT I DO NOT. Jeff Cooper said "If you try to take my life by suprise, you have commited inadverant sucide." Train, Train, Train.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom