High Power Rifle Match Sunday- Gonzalez 2/24

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    High Power Rifle Match Sunday- Gonzalez 2/24

The Southeast Louisiana High Power Club hosts a monthly Reduced Across the Course match at the Ascension Parish Sheriff's range in Gonzales. Registration begins at 0800. Match begins at 0900.

Match consists of:

All at 200 Yards.

10 Shots Standing Slow Fire with 2 sighters.
    10 Shots Sitting Rapid Fire with 2 sighters.
    10 Shots Prone Rapid Fire with 2 sighters on the 300 yard reduced target.
    20 Shots Prone Slow Fire with 2 sighters on the 600 yard reduced target.

Come out and shoot. Come out and watch Team BOW. This is a good place to learn and get addicted.

Last edited:

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Hmm... interested. Are there ammo restrictions? I may be free on Sunday to drive up and shoot but need to get the details squared away first.

All NRA rules apply. http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

Ammo is restricted to no larger than .35 caliber. If you have a .223/5.56 for Gonzalez just about any ammo will do for the 200 yard match. You will need at least 58 rounds. Bring at least 20 extras. Rifle should have a sling, GI websling is preferred.

Let me know what rifle you have and we can work on getting it ready.

Donaldsonville, you will need 69gr or higher ammo for 300/600 yards.

If you want to talk, send me a PM and I will send my phone number.

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I am looking forward to being there and at least learning the ropes. I have gathered everything I need, but HI has been closed for so long I haven't had an opportunity to wring out and sight in good yet. Probably just come watch, pass a good time, and meet everyone. I suppose there will be a chance to lend a hand and help out? Should be fun.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    All NRA rules apply. http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

Ammo is restricted to no larger than .35 caliber. If you have a .223/5.56 for Gonzalez just about any ammo will do for the 200 yard match. You will need at least 58 rounds. Bring at least 20 extras. Rifle should have a sling, GI websling is preferred.

Let me know what rifle you have and we can work on getting it ready.

Donaldsonville, you will need 69gr or higher ammo for 300/600 yards.

If you want to talk, send me a PM and I will send my phone number.

gallery_8246_215_721098.jpg

5.56 (reason I asked about ammo restrictions is all I have a good bit of is M855, steel core). No forward attachment point for a sling, rear is the QD swivel holes in the B5 stock. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do about the sling situation yet as I just got the rifle.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    gallery_8246_215_721098.jpg

5.56 (reason I asked about ammo restrictions is all I have a good bit of is M855, steel core). No forward attachment point for a sling, rear is the QD swivel holes in the B5 stock. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do about the sling situation yet as I just got the rifle.

My suggestion-
    The LSA has rental rifles for $5 you can use to check the match out (they are already set up). You bring your own ammo. Get with Owen and see if he get someone to bring one for you to use. That's how I shot my first couple of matches.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Wow! These guys at LSA really do it right. Went out today and shot my first High Power match and couldn't have felt more at home, or had more friendly help getting started. If you have never tried it, or been a little reluctant about going to a "match", don't be or you will be missing out on a chance to shoot with some really nice people as well as have a lot of fun.

Nick (owen502) met me and got me started with how everything works, and even took the time to stick with me and coach me during the match. Pretty generous considering how distracting it must be trying to keep track of a newbie AND work on his scores. That's dedication. Thanks Nick!

I didn't know it before, but LSA also sponsors a Junior Shooters League for teens. They supply just about everything they need, and help them get started in the sport. Wish I had known about that when my boys were younger. If you have teenagers, you might want to check it out. Great way to keep the shooting sports alive, teach gun safety and discipline, and help protect our second ammendment rights safe for the future. All good things... especially in these times.

So, if you have thought about it and just never did it, give it a try. Bet you can't go just once! I'll be back!

Glenn

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Wow! These guys at LSA really do it right. Went out today and shot my first High Power match and couldn't have felt more at home, or had more friendly help getting started. If you have never tried it, or been a little reluctant about going to a "match", don't be or you will be missing out on a chance to shoot with some really nice people as well as have a lot of fun.

Nick (owen502) met me and got me started with how everything works, and even took the time to stick with me and coach me during the match. Pretty generous considering how distracting it must be trying to keep track of a newbie AND work on his scores. That's dedication. Thanks Nick!

I didn't know it before, but LSA also sponsors a Junior Shooters League for teens. They supply just about everything they need, and help them get started in the sport. Wish I had known about that when my boys were younger. If you have teenagers, you might want to check it out. Great way to keep the shooting sports alive, teach gun safety and discipline, and help protect our second ammendment rights safe for the future. All good things... especially in these times.

So, if you have thought about it and just never did it, give it a try. Bet you can't go just once! I'll be back!

Glenn

Your welcome. You were not too distracting as I had my highest score yet. Even if Akajun bested me by two x's for the win, I will take a 489-11x out of 500 any day.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Mine too, with a service rifle with 7500 rds in the barrell, Like dan said, if I ever learn to shoot slow prone Ill be dangerous

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Mine too, with a service rifle with 7500 rds in the barrell, Like dan said, if I ever learn to shoot slow prone Ill be dangerous
    You are getting there. You just need to crash your next Gonzales match to start your average from scratch; and thereafter only shoot across the course until you make High Master. It makes those 97+% scores a little harder to earn. :)

Glenn, I am glad you had fun. Thank you for putting in a good word for LSA. We look forward to seeing you at the next match.

Dan

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    id be very interested in this- i'll come just to watch. can anyone confirm letting me rent/borrow a rifle and bring own ammo? man id have a blast.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Across the course High Power matches are on the 3rd Saturday of every month at Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club in Donaldsonville and on the 4th Sunday at the AP Sheriff's range in Gonzalez.

Just let us know if your going to come. Make sure you are member of the LSA. If there is availability, the LSA may be able to loan a rifle for $5. For Gonzalez you will need at least 58 rounds of .223 with a minimum of 55gr bullets. For Donaldsonville you will need at least 88 rounds of .223 with a minimum of 69gr bullets.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the info! I was under the impression for Palo Alto, you could shoot .308.

And LSA being the Louisiana sheriffs assoc?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom