Highlander Fleas!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Has anyone else been experiencing a new "immortal" flea epidemic in the Baton Rouge area? We have never had a problem like this with fleas, ticks yes, but not fleas. We have tried many things and nothing has worked.

Frontline Plus, Advantix, Comfortis and Revolution (drops and chewables) have done nothing

Various powders, sprays "flea collars" no help. Just saw one crawling new to it.

Spent $100 to have the whole house and yard sprayed, did nothing

Baths work to kill them off, but in minutes they are back.

Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm all out.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    pinesol works, tobacco bath works.
    We do not have any, but I do know, it takes 3 doses of killing adults, then their hatchlings, then a third to kill the left overs.
    One treatment does not do you much good.

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    thanks.

When all of this started they had been on frontline plus continuously for quite some time. My impression is that the living adult fleas would not bite, or live through the bite of the medicine. But, they are definitely not dying and they are causing a whole lot of biting and scratching.

ABNsurveyor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Polk area
    Borax 20 Mule Team. Sprinkle a light dusting everywhere floor, carpets (for heavy carpets you might need to use a broom to work into the fibers), furniture, striped bed and pillows. Let it do it's magic for at-least 2 hours no more then 4 hours. Throw pillows in the dryer and vacuum with a clean bag 2 -3 times until all the Borax is up. Outside I use Spectracide Trazicide Insect Killer Once and Done Granules and spray.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Use "diatomaceous earth" if they are in your house. Kills anything and everything with an exoskeleton, and is completely non-toxic to mammals.

To keep them off your dogs, mix a large amount of sulfur into a jar of vasoline and rub your dogs down with it.

Last edited:

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    You can also cut up cheap (dollar store type) flea collars in 2 to 3 inch sections and put them under rugs, furniture (even between cushions). Leave one chunk for your sweeper so that as you sweep, the eggs, dead fleas get whacked again in the vacuum.

Good luck,
    Marc Price

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    The best thing I ever did was put out beneficial nematodes. They are microorganisms that actually live off of flea eggs and grubs an other critters that are bad for your lawn. It has rid my yard of any fleas for three years now, which need to put more out in spring time. I get them from San Antonio(big organic gardening market) if I remember right from Nematode Nick's.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Best thing I ever used and its what all my friends with hunting dogs use. Some have 20 plus dogs. Bayer yardor tree and shrub insect killer. spray yard and all mix a little in spray bottle and just mist the dogs. If you google it Im sure you can read all the info about the chemical and such. They also use it to spray wild hogs that will be pinned and fed before they are killed. Those things are slap full of fleas and ticks. it clears them in seconds and eggs never hatch.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    My vet told me as long as there were squirrels around, there would be fleas.

I had a house in Woodland Ridge and the squirrels there were fox. My hound had a flea problem.

I subsequently moved to ShadowBrook, not more than a mile or so away. The squirrels there were gray. No flea problem.

Getting rid of fleas is like emptying the ocean with a bucket.
    :ohreally:

Top Bottom