Highpower Rifle clinic, may 25-26, Donaldsonville and Gonzales LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Verified at the XTC Match at Palo Alto 17 May. The clinic will be held Saturday, 24 May at Palo Alto. The match will be held Sunday, 25 May at the Ascension Sheriffs Range in Gonzales.

Make an effort to come. I'm a newborn at HP at it's a hoot.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I wanted to thank John Laws (Akajun) for putting this on. That would also include the LSA, the Appleseed guys and a host of the regular hipower crowd that acted as coaches and equipment providers.

"geeck" from here was my coach. He made everyone a little nervous when he went into the port-a-let with the M14 but that didn't bother me. I'd say it was a good day.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    THanks for the props RDF, and thanks to all the participants, I'll be posting pics soon. We had 24 shooters, 12 adults and 12 juniors. Everyone seemed to have a good time.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    It was great to get out to shoot the High Power format again. I had some problems and shot less than well in some stages. As always the good out weighs the bad at these things. I am a bit sore today in spots. I had 2 problems I never had before. I had my bolt override my ECI which was way harder to clear than I would have thought. The man calling the match and fellow shooter handled it with grace and that really put me at ease to shoot the alibi. I really fell apart on the slow prone and even shot 1 crossfire. A 150 out of 200 - I ain't proud of it but I own it.

Not once was safety compromised in the least and that is compliment to all.

It is a lot of work for the guys putting on the matches and I really appreciate those who run things. It was good seeing some people I have met before and meeting new people.

Thanks again.
    Mike Clark

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I want to echo RDO and say that I really enjoyed the clinic and appreciate everything Mr. Laws and the LSA did for us students this weekend. I know it must have been difficult to bring all those experienced guys together for the clinic. I had a great time Saturday and hated missing Sundays match. I was in the first relay to shoot and after the first few shots of the prone slow fire sight in I was worried. Luckily Dan was my coach and got me dialed in before the 10 rounds was up. The second stage was prone rapid fire in which I got 3- 9's 5- 8's and 2- 7's. Third stage was sitting rapid fire, I sadly only got 9 rounds off before time but I got 3- X's 4- 10's and 2- 9's. I was floored! Dan too was very proud I could tell. The fourth stage of standing slow fire was difficult but from what I have heard it is the most difficult stage for all.

All in all it was a great day, I even enjoyed the pit pulling haha. I was never a rifle shooter and this is only my second clinic after an Appleseed last month. I am hooked now! I hope I can make it out to a few matches and can't wait until June for my second Appleseed.

Thanks again!!

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    I wanted to thank John Laws (Akajun) for putting this on. That would also include the LSA, the Appleseed guys and a host of the regular hipower crowd that acted as coaches and equipment providers.

"geeck" from here was my coach. He made everyone a little nervous when he went into the port-a-let with the M14 but that didn't bother me. I'd say it was a good day.

That avatar is somewhat scary I was asked by my family to pick something a little more friendly for Facebook. I'm just a big fan of the M14/M1A platform, and the movie FMJ has a lot of screen time for the M14... plus when I shave my head I might favor Lawerence "Gomer Pyle" a bit. :)

As much as I love the M14 platform the other HP shooters have finally convinced me to shoot the AR and my scores have improved. It's a good bunch we have in HP, everybody looks out for you. RDF you are ready to come out and shoot with HP crowd now, you have my contact info we'll get you some good 300, and 600 zeros and you'll be off to the races.

Last edited:

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Well done gentlemen. Coaches and shooters. Whoever thought up this idea needs to be bought a beer. John, Brad, the LSA, and Project Appleseed. Thank you.

Myself I knew I had a big issue with standing. Rest of the positions was OK with percentages in the mid to high 80s but standing was horrid. Got a bit of coaching after the XTC match the weekend before. Then got fine tuned at the clinic. Brad saw things I didn't know I was doing.

Result was an increase of 20 percentage points in standing scores, incremental increases in the other positions and turned in a 88.8% for the match. One point away from scoring Expert. Best I've done in a match or practice.

And geeck, I'll fix my ejector so my rifle doesn't toss brass in your ear. However it was easy to find the find the brass after the stage.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Well done gentlemen. Coaches and shooters. Whoever thought up this idea needs to be bought a beer. John, Brad, the LSA, and Project Appleseed. Thank you.

Myself I knew I had a big issue with standing. Rest of the positions was OK with percentages in the mid to high 80s but standing was horrid. Got a bit of coaching after the XTC match the weekend before. Then got fine tuned at the clinic. Brad saw things I didn't know I was doing.

Result was an increase of 20 percentage points in standing scores, incremental increases in the other positions and turned in a 88.8% for the match. One point away from scoring Expert. Best I've done in a match or practice.

And geeck, I'll fix my ejector so my rifle doesn't toss brass in your ear. However it was easy to find the find the brass after the stage.
    good shooting , did you find your coat? I left it under your carport.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana

I was in my bubble I only barely realized it was happening, it couldn't have been too bad, I shot a 186-5x. those reduced 600 targets are tough. I'd rather shoot the MR @600 on a "no-wind" day than the MR 52 @200

Hank, You're another one that needs to start making out to the matches on a regular bases.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Geeck,
    I might be seeing you on the 21st. My barrel is a take-off and supposedly not cutting it @600. I take his word for it. But you know I am going to shoot it @600 anyway.

I really need some refinement in a few areas. Head out of ass might be a good start. A big thing I found is that so much of this is a mental game - so as long as you are thinking correctly you are half way there. For not having shot much in about 2 years I was thrilled with some strings. Some not so much.

Ellis,
    You look rock steady in prone from me watching your barrel. If any of you find any WCC with brass primers give it back to Ellis!

One thing I would really like to see is more coordination between LSA, Appleseed, NRA and local ranges. That really is where the success lies. I let my LSA membership lapse and I am going to go back and pay for the years I missed. They never lapsed on their support of myself and all of Louisana's shooting community. I know Dan Z., Jay Hunt and others put a lot of personal commitment into the sport and it is probably even more the I realize.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    Geeck,
    I might be seeing you on the 21st. My barrel is a take-off and supposedly not cutting it @600. I take his word for it. But you know I am going to shoot it @600 anyway.

I really need some refinement in a few areas. Head out of ass might be a good start. A big thing I found is that so much of this is a mental game - so as long as you are thinking correctly you are half way there. For not having shot much in about 2 years I was thrilled with some strings. Some not so much.

Ellis,
    You look rock steady in prone from me watching your barrel. If any of you find any WCC with brass primers give it back to Ellis!

One thing I would really like to see is more coordination between LSA, Appleseed, NRA and local ranges. That really is where the success lies. I let my LSA membership lapse and I am going to go back and pay for the years I missed. They never lapsed on their support of myself and all of Louisana's shooting community. I know Dan Z., Jay Hunt and others put a lot of personal commitment into the sport and it is probably even more the I realize.

Louisiana Appleseed is going to be putting LSA and XTC HP information in with the CMP handouts. Texas has a large group of Appleseeders that regularly compete in XTC. I'd like to see Louisiana have Appleseed Rifleman move to XTC. For all practical purposes shooting an AQT is like shooting a Leg match. I would like to see all you guys show up on the 3rd Saturday and 4th Sunday.... but if you can only come out for a couple matches a year, at least make the 2 Leg matches we have each year.We have a lot of fun on those weekends.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    good shooting , did you find your coat? I left it under your carport.
    Wife reported that coat has been retrieved. Thanks.
    I was in my bubble I only barely realized it was happening, -snip-
    I get the same way. Focused to the point that the front sight, the target and what's behind it is all that matters.
    those reduced 600 targets are tough. I'd rather shoot the MR @600 on a "no-wind" day than the MR 52 @200
    Agreed.
    Ellis,
    Nod to coach Brad. Tweaked my position to where there was zero wobble and recoil didn't get the sights off the black. As for brass, only lost 2 or 3 cases over the two days. I'm good.

Top Bottom