Hit and run on a dog?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Need help.

Just ran over a 20 oz. plastic coke bottle. I know it is someone else's property, because it is not mine. I am sorry to say that it was in like new condition, but is now completely destroyed. It was unavoidable, as a wind gust moved it at the last instant. I am on scene, and have attempted to ascertain ownership, to no avail. Short of DNA testing, I don't believe that will be possible.

I wish to avoid further legal consequences, including 4am warrant service. What is the appropriate administrative agency to report. Sanitation, Highways, or LE.

You're ****ed. Expect a no-knock SWAT raid in the near future. Don't bother arming yourself, they're gonna shoot you anyway. You are however morally obligated to at least lay down some plastic drop cloths to prevent unneccessary cleanup.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I can just hear it now.

Unit-----Troop A A-000
    Dispatcher----A-000
    Unit----- I'll be 10-8 enroute for a follow up on a 100 on a dog.
    Dispatcher----- 10-4 A-000

DESK----- A-000 21 04 :rofl:

K9CopSGT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Lutcher, LA
    I can just hear it now.

Unit-----Troop A A-000
    Dispatcher----A-000
    Unit----- I'll be 10-8 enroute for a follow up on a 100 on a dog.
    Dispatcher----- 10-4 A-000

DESK----- A-000 21 04 :rofl:

And prior to the 800 MHz radios of today, you would have heard a bunch of barks, howls and growls over the air.:mamoru:

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    I'll bet there's laws against oral copulation in this great state, let's count how many have actually not given or received it because Big Brother may raise an eyebrow and think it's immoral.

Jack

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'll bet there's laws against oral copulation in this great state, let's count how many have actually not given or received it because Big Brother may raise an eyebrow and think it's immoral.

Jack

Look at the sex offender list on almost every female the charge is crimes against nature. BJ's from the crack "ladies"

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Since animals (personally owned pets, not wild) are typically viewed as physical property in legal matters, if you run over my dog and do not stop based on an accident that involved property damage, you have committed hit and run. Furthermore, you have damaged my personal property (one I am emotionally attached to), so if you are so void of personal accountability and human emotion to run away, expect the full extent of civil law to reign down upon thee.

Depending on the circumstances, you may have also committed Criminal Cruelty to Animals, Reckless Operation, or Careless Operation. However, that would involve circumstances other than your typical "dog darted out" scenario.

Now, as is always the case, a lot depends on the circumstances surrounding the incident and the discretion of the officer. Personally, I think you are a worthless piece of **** if you hit someone's pet and do not even bother to stop and see if it/they need help. Just because it is not your fault the dog ran out, does not IMO relieve you of the moral responsibility for doing the right thing. You hit a coon, deer, etc..that is one thing.

I think your previous behavior is repulsive, and your whole logic about not stopping for fear of retaliation is laughable. Accidents happen. My dog has a mind of its own. It runds out, I will be upset, but **** happens. However, you run away like a heartless coward, and I will exhaust every legal means to make you pay for your lack of decency.

I will say this though, it is ultimately the owner's responsibility to keep the dog properly restrained to avoid these types of situations, which is why I separate the hitting and the not stopping into two separate acts. The hitting is 99.99% of the time and accident that the driver had no control over. However, the failure to stop is more a testament to their lack of character and general give a f-ck about others.

Just my opinion. And for the record, as a child I had a dog run smack over and killed right in front of me. It was an accident, but the guy had the common decency to stop."

NO WAY NO HOW would any DA in the State of La. prosecute anyone for hit and run or cruelty to an animal for hitting a dog in the road and not stopping.Not only that but any police officer who would actually be stupid or deranged enough to arrest someone for it would more than likely be discplined for it and could face civil litigation.

As for civil liability that would be on the owner of the animal NOT on the driver.

No matter how badly you would like it to be different the above statements are FACT and nothing you have posted contradicts them.

My advice to anyone would be unless you know the owner-keep on trucking!People have been ATTACKED after stopping to tell someone they hit their dog.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Man-Arrested-For-Beating-Another-Man-After/9YVnzgC8eEO7h1OY0lq0CQ.cspx

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom