Hoarding Isn't Just for Ammo...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    It's getting close to hurricane season again, so I took advantage of a sale Walmart has on 17.62 lb. bags of Royal Oak lump. It isn't near as good as the deals I've seen on the eggheadforum lately, but at $10.00 a bag it's the best price I've seen around here in quite a while. I bought every bag they had and they even let me buy four bags of 8.8 lb. lump for $20.00. I'm going to hit another Walmart tomorrow to see if they still have some more, because 200+ lbs. of lump just isn't going to cut it now that I've gotten the hang of cooking on the BGE. :p

2013-05-29193609_zps5d1fcac8.jpg

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    1. Do you like that charcoal as much as the BGE brand? If not, what differences do you see?

2. How long does charcoal keep (shelf life) in general? Any storage issues?

I ask #2 because I dug some old charcoal out of the garage that had been in their about 5 years. It was just some cheap kingsford, but I had trouble keeping it lit in a smoker. I'm wondering if it rots or settles or something like that.

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    Ha. The 40lb 2 bag bundle of Kingsford briquettes were on sale at Home Depot and Lowes this past weekend for $10. I picked up 4 bundles and my good buddy dropped off 2 bundles at the house as well. I'm sure my doctor won't be too happy since I'm fighting high cholesterol. :lol:

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I thought one of the big advantages of BGE was that it used very little charcoal. I had some kingsford left over from last summer purchase of the 44 lb double bag deal. It had deteriorated - kept outside on the patio. I don't think lump would absorb as much moisture, so you should have quite a supply.

Last edited:

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    1. Do you like that charcoal as much as the BGE brand? If not, what differences do you see?

2. How long does charcoal keep (shelf life) in general? Any storage issues?

I ask #2 because I dug some old charcoal out of the garage that had been in their about 5 years. It was just some cheap kingsford, but I had trouble keeping it lit in a smoker. I'm wondering if it rots or settles or something like that.
    1. I like Royal Oak as much as the BGE brand and it's MUCH less expensive.

2. As far as I know if you keep it dry (includes keeping excess humidity out of it) it will last forever. I keep my lump in the garage so I don't have moisture issues.

The issue with your kingsford might have been moisture, or it could have been too fine. There's a blog called the nakedwhiz that rate charcoal and has pretty much all you could want to know about the subject. Here's a link; http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I thought one of the big advantages of BGE was that it used very little charcoal. I had some kingsford left over from last summer purchase of the 44 lb double bag deal. It had deteriorated - kept outside on the patio. I don't think lump would absorb as much moisture, so you should have quite a supply.
    The BGE does use less lump. However, because I cook so much on my BGE (about four times a week) I go through a lot of lump. Also, I keep my lump in the garage so I don't have moisture issues.

I got a big back of mesquite from the sams in covington. Going to go back and get more. It was CHUNKS of wood, burns well and hot!
    Yep... that's the advantage of using lump charcoal.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I got a big back of mesquite from the sams in covington. Going to go back and get more. It was CHUNKS of wood, burns well and hot!

Yes it does! Mesquite is some hard stuff & generates a LOT of heat for a long time.....If I lived West of San Antonio, that's all I'd ever use!

hardness-scale.png.png

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    BGE does use less coal, if you smoke at lower temps. If you cook, say chicken, at 350 for an hour, it will use more. Also gotta make sure gasket/seal is good, or it takes longer to extinguish the fire.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I stocked up with three two packs of 20lb kingsford last weekend at home depot. It was ~$9.88/bag and I had a $5 off $25 coupon. Good stuff.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... seeing as how I can't fit what I have on top of these three cabinets, I'll have to see about the possibility of putting even more where the excess bags are now (top shelf by the garage door) and cover them so they don't get damp. This means I can either go get more now (which I'm considering) or wait for one of the sales like some of the folks took advantage of up north (basically half the cost of what I just paid after sale price and mail in rebates). Decisions decisions... LOL.

202lbsoflump_stored_zps4c05d29c.jpg

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    1. I like Royal Oak as much as the BGE brand and it's MUCH less expensive.

2. As far as I know if you keep it dry (includes keeping excess humidity out of it) it will last forever. I keep my lump in the garage so I don't have moisture issues.

The issue with your kingsford might have been moisture, or it could have been too fine. There's a blog called the nakedwhiz that rate charcoal and has pretty much all you could want to know about the subject. Here's a link; http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

The BGE does use less lump. However, because I cook so much on my BGE (about four times a week) I go through a lot of lump. Also, I keep my lump in the garage so I don't have moisture issues.

Yep... that's the advantage of using lump charcoal.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will store some in my attic.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom