Hog hunting on WMAs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitewater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Slidell, La.
    On page 66 of the LA. Hunting regs for 2015-16, feral hog hunting is allowed during any open season. That means I can hog hunt with a shotgun during teal season or dove season. It goes on to say that "hunters may use centerfire pistols in addition to using guns allowed for season in progress".
    I have asked 4 different W & F agents. 2 said I could carry a pistol with me , 2 said no. What do y'all think?

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    You need to read and comprehend better. That sentence you are reading has to do with the special season in February. Read it again and look for the commas and periods.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I'm not certain, don't have the regs in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the centerfire handgun addition is a new state law that is not allowed in the WMA's. I hope I'm wrong but that's how I remember reading it.

And as far as I have read, as long as your in an open season and have the legal equipment for that season, you can hunt hogs with no limit.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I have read it and talked to DWF and I carry one. There are guys out there that say I'm wrong and guys that say I'm right.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Screen shots from the regs:
    From the General Regulations:
    c2e3e7ab1c6ea204daba4204f7adbdca.jpg

From the WMA Regulations:
    3691b6b6cf000abd57fd16578a2ba243.jpg

071ba40a9f7ac63e6a9d241115101b15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Unless the wma expressly says no sidearms I dont see how they can tell you that you aren't allowed to carry it. My hunting rifle doesnt have irons so aquiring a fast approaching hostile (animal, human, little green man) is difficult. I don't hunt without a sidearm. I dont hunt much any more and I havent hunted on a louisiana wma so do what you think is right. But they cant pinch you for hunting with it just because its strapped to your leg.

But based on the previous post they could pinch you for having a firearm expressly prohibited if its not during the allowed seasons.

Last edited:

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Whitebread....You technically can't have your hunting rifle (if it's a center fire cartridge) on a WMA unless it's a modern or primitive firearms deer season on that WMA or the special hog season on that WMA. I don't read anything that forbids you from carrying a .22 caliber rimfire sidearm during those hunting seasons. As for center fire sidearms, if you hold a CHP, you can carry. But, then again...you can't legally hunt with it.

To the OP, I just read the passage on Page 66 to which you referenced. I can see the confusion in the layout/wording. Read this with just the highlighted portions. Personally, I interpret this as you can carry a sidearm to dispatch the hog once the dogs have done their business. So, you can carry a center fire pistol in addition to say a .410 loaded with fine shot because you may want to shoot a rabbit in the process....since that is usually the only open season in February.

c0bcb14554d9a3f3bacaa8a10ad655b2.jpg

Edited to include CHP regs.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Whitebread....You technically can't have your hunting rifle (if it's a center fire cartridge) on a WMA unless it's a modern or primitive firearms deer season on that WMA or the special hog season on that WMA. I don't read anything that forbids you from carrying a .22 caliber rimfire sidearm during those hunting seasons.

I guess thats what I was trying to say with added line in my last post. You made a better go of it.

If you are on wma land you abide by wma rules plain and simple. If you are on yours or someone elses property I feel justified in saying they cant tell you not to strap on your sidearm just dont use it to hunt with if the season doesnt allow for it.

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Exactly why I bought a .17. It'll take hogs no problem and I can use it from first day of squirrel season to the last on WMAS. (1st Saturday of Oct.- end of Feb on most WMAs) If I'm deer hunting and a hog comes by I'll shoot it with what I'm allowed to use for deer on that day. Rifle, muzzleloader, bow

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Exactly why I bought a .17. It'll take hogs no problem and I can use it from first day of squirrel season to the last on WMAS. (1st Saturday of Oct.- end of Feb on most WMAs) If I'm deer hunting and a hog comes by I'll shoot it with what I'm allowed to use for deer on that day. Rifle, muzzleloader, bow

Yup That's why I have a .22 mag

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I had the same question a month or so ago, I was told that during non centerfire firearm seasons you cannot have a centerfire pistol, they said that paragraph was worded badly. On page 3 it clearly states that the publication is not an official copy of the laws and should not by relied on as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom