Home Owners Association ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    Anyone know of any laws about a HOA making you pay your monthly fee by 1 option? Mine wants me to do an automatic draft and I never do automatic drafts. I know its easier but I just dont do it. This year we could pay yearly, 6 months, mail a check, or auto draft. Now they send a letter saying we HAVE to use auto draft Any suggestions ? Thanks

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    All are different. My HOA would take the $ no matter how you pay it. They would be pleased to have 100% paid.

Auto draft simply takes the work off of the association - time to deposit and track checks and help that percentage that forget. I can see both sides.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    You most have missed a board meeting or two. As long as you aren't in arrears, I doubt if the association has any recourse if you choose not to auto draft. I suppose they could refuse your paper check or cash but doubt if it would hold up in a court if they try to sue you to force auto draft. I don't know what your convenants and by-law state, but my HOA doesn't have that authority to say how you can remit dues payments. We did go to a yearly rate instead of monthly about 10 years ago, simply at the request of the majority of the members.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    There is a little note on currency that takes care of the problem. "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private" from my understanding there are not many ways to get around this. I am in no way a legal expert, but this may give you something to look up.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Nope no Board meeting missed! We havent had one because they are to busy trying to sue the land devolper over a playground. I didn't think to they had the right to tell me how to pay, just that I had to pay!

I have been in a couple of HOA. If it's not in the by-laws, they will have trouble enforcing it.

I like automatic debits for recurring bills that are the same amount and due the same time every. I've been doing computer banking for about ten years and they only screwed up one payment. If my HOA did automatic payments, I would jump at the opportunity. The only checks I write now are for the HOA and my hair cuts.

Ymmv, obviously.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Screw them there is no way im giving anybody access to my bank/check/saving account like that. Everybody I know who does that have headaches about people taking out too much and take years to get their money back, some never do.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Haiile

How do you thing the name ASS-ociations was derived?

True meaning of Neighborhood ASS-ociations below!

natzizombies.jpg

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    The last place I lived with a HOA had members on the board who NEVER read the bylaws that they were subject to abide by. Much fun was had when they tried to convert part of my patio area back to common area at my expense. The board of directors even made a resolution and voted on it without me present saying that I was responsible for all costs in converting my private property back to common property. At least my attorney saw things differently and so did the Fire Marshall since they stupidly said they were removing my patio to make way for a "Fire safety corridor".

I still regret not turning them into the IRS for failure to follow the bylaws, thus nullifying their not-for-profit status.

To the OP, I recommend you read the bylaws to see exactly what power your HOA has.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    There may be, but I cannot think of any set of circumstances where I would allow a private citizen or group of private citizens tell me what to do with or on my own property.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    There may be, but I cannot think of any set of circumstances where I would allow a private citizen or group of private citizens tell me what to do with or on my own property.

While I agree with this wholeheartedly, there are uses for HOA's. Mainly to maintain the roads that the developer put in the cow pasture they developed into a neighborhood. Usually they aren't parish roads.

Like governments, when people get a small taste of power, they keep going and going until they are trying to approve everytime you fart outside or something.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Like governments, when people get a small taste of power, they keep going and going until they are trying to approve everytime you fart outside or something.

True. I'm considering leading a bloody overthrow of our HOA. Nobody tells me I can't **** in the pool or build a shooting range in my front yard. Viva La Revolucion!

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe

Yeah, this is my problem. I guess it comes from growing up in and living in a rural area since i was born. I shoot deer from the back window of my house at least twice a year , and I actually do have an improvised shooting range in my front yard. I just don't believe that if it came down to it I could abide the crap I hear other people talk about with HOAs. So i just said no.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    How do you thing the name ASS-ociations was derived?

True meaning of Neighborhood ASS-ociations below!

natzizombies.jpg
    :rofl::rofl:
    Vid in the link.
    http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/investigates/101111-hoa-meeting-melee-caught-on-tape
    HOA Meeting Melee Caught On Tape

HOUSTON - Bet you've never seen a Homeowner Association Meeting like this one. This homeowner says he's speaking for the majority of residents who live in the Catalina Square Subdivision.

All the board members were voted out and told to immediately turn over all records and any other property belonging to the Catalina Square Improvement Committee.

"Our president came towards him to try to shut him down and told him he couldn't do that," homeowner Pat Martin said.

Suddenly the meeting turns violent.
    http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/investigates/101111-hoa-meeting-melee-caught-on-tape

:)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom