Home surveillance systems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Hey y'all, I've been having a problem with varmints prowling my property and killing my livestock and barn cats. I need a camera system set up ASAP. Any suggestions on products and installers would be greatly appreciated.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What the purpose of the system? Detection, Observation, Recognition, and/or Identification? What range are you looking at? How many cameras do you think you will need? Do you want a plug and play system, a professionally installed system, or a diy system? Have you set a budget?

We have a Vivint alarm system with some cameras. Those cameras suck. I have begun putting together a system that I would have wanted someone else to have when I used to work as a detective. There's no real "do it all" camera. Each camera serves a specific purpose. The settings on each camera are very customizable. I have a camera set to a narrow field of view and a fast shutter speed that can capture license plate of a car at night driving about 30 mph. I have one that is color only, even at night, with only a little bit of ambient light. There's one with a narrow field of view that can be used to identify people walking up to the front door. They are all installed on their own wired network and the footage is recorded on an older pc running nvr software called Blue Iris. The 7 cameras are recording 24/7 and the 14tb drive can hold about a months worth of footage. Most of the cameras are 2mp and 4mp rather than 8mp or 12mp because bigger is only better at night id the sensor is big enough to capture what little light there is.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    My issue now is not knowing what type of predator I'm dealing with. So I need a system of about 6-8cameras to cover my pens so I can identify a threat either after or during an attack. Hardwiring may be too much of a chore because some of my pens are 100 yards apart and not near a power source. Obviously I need something night capable and that downloads either to a hard-drive or cloud so I can review footage. I would prefer to have a monitor set up with the multiple feed in my house but it may not be feasible. Fairly certain wireless is gonna be an expensive pain too but it is what it is. Not at all interested in being monitored by a company for a few reasons. Mostly because the threat from people is pretty low where I'm at but also because I frankly don't want the hassle of dealing with a company every time the power goes out which is often, or of having to talk to a robot. I'd like to come in significantly lower but I have 6k to throw at it if need be. The range would be within 50 ft of the pens specifically, covering the approaches to them. Ideally I'd find someone to talk to to and install all this stuff because I just flat don't have the time, patience, or experience to do it myself correctly

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I have a Cobra 4K security system from harbor frieght. Works good, wifi is wireless, hooks to your TV or phone, excellent pic quality, 1 TB hard drive
    What i dont like
    Still need to run power to the camera, set up is not hard but not easy either, no instructions with the camera.

I did catch a crack head inside my house so it paid for itself.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Don't chase megapixels if you want better low light performance. If you look at a camera and they do not list the sensor size, they're probably using a sensor that is too small for the resolution. If you have a 2mp camera and an 8mp (4k) camera using the same size sensor, the 8mp camera will pick up more, smaller pieces of light. But there must be some space between to points. So the more points, the more space between the points. Think of a window screen. In order to fit more, smaller holes on the same size screen, you need more wire. But the more wire you use, the less light can get through the holes. The more wire you use, the more light you need so that enough can get through. A lower resolution camera will get better low light performance than a higher resolution camera on the same size sensor.

Most "package" cameras will also not allow you to adjust the shutter speed. A higher resolution camera on too small of a sensor will be a blurry mess at night.

There's a company called EmpireTech. They sell rebranded Dahua cameras to the public. Dahua is usually marketed toward installers. I'm going to suggest 2 products that may help you figure out what you want. The first is a poe network video recorder. You'd have to get a hard drive for it. I'd suggest a WD Purple drive. They are made for the constant recording of a surveillance system. The second if a 1-12x camera. It's got a great mp to sensor size ratio. You can install it close and use the optical zoom to reach out to where you need coverage. The nvr has 8 poe slots so hooking the camera up is as easy as running an ethernet cable to the camera that covers both data and power. A wire is much more reliable than wireless. And the camera allows you to adjust for day and night so you aren't relying to the manufacturer's choices. Those usually sacrifice night performance for the pretty daytime videos. And even those aren't great.

These suggestions would be for a long term, quality system. If you just want something quick and simple to salve only this issue, these suggestions might be overkill.

Scrape

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    I think this picture is of the camera I bought for my remote hog trap with remote drop gate. It worked well. It alerts via cell phone, has infared lights, rotates like 240 degrees, up and down, and has a zoom lense that worked for me out to about 80 ft. Has 2 way communication if’n you want to talk to the critter…lol

I wired it up with green led lights around the trap to really brighten up the area.

Mystery killers like after your animal s suck. Best of luck!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpeg
      IMG_1834.jpeg
      808 KB · Views: 18

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    These suggestions would be for a long term, quality system. If you just want something quick and simple to salve only this issue, these suggestions might be overkill
    Long term is exactly what I'm after and I'm big fan of overkill when it comes to security and A-hole predators killing my animals. Again, much appreciated!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Long term is exactly what I'm after and I'm big fan of overkill when it comes to security and A-hole predators killing my animals. Again, much appreciated!

Another more advanced option is to add a 25x or 45x ptz (pan tilt zoom) camera. You can then set up tripwires on other cameras. When those tripwires are tripped, it could alert the ptz and have the ptz zoom into the area and follow whatever it was that tripped the tripwire.

Here's an example from today. I cropped most of the image except the person and the settings. It's a 25x camera but only zoomed into around 14x. I don't think that's an option with ring.

If you have any real questions, you're welcome to pm me and I'll answer the best I can.

PCPGunner1027

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2023
    Louisiana
    I build out custom systems. The PTZ “tripwire” setup is certainly a good idea! It takes a bit of programming and using a decent viewing software with an AI that is able to do this is the tricky part. Blue Iris is a great and affordable software option if you are at all knowledgeable in computers.

Top Bottom