hopeing for a witness

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    It's a long shot but stranger things have happened.

On Thursday night around 9:30-9:45 P.M. I was involved in a hit and run on I-12 westbound on the O'Neil overpass. I was in a grey (mostly, very old paint) 1999 Nissan Sentra and was hit by someone judging from the damage going 100 or over. I never saw it coming, they were trying to pass me on the right and hit me in the right side rear. I almost lost control, and the car was un-driveable as the rear wheels were smashed against the wheel wells. They passed me on the right and hauled but. By the time I got control and tried to look at their car, they were 100 yards down the freeway and all I could make out was it was a dark colored car. They appeared to be smoking and I'm sure they had heavy damage. If you saw this, you know exactly the incident I am talking about. I would guess they exited millerville and ditched the car somewhere, but I have no evidence of this, I just don't think they could make it far. My car was so damaged that the back doors would not open.

I would like to see this person prosecuted for this. Not sure how any info could really help, but perhaps if I could give a make and model to the police or something, it would be better than nothing. I hold no hard feelings for you not stopping, and I am only looking for info to catch the other driver. Thanks for reading this.

If you are the officer who responded to my call, I thanked you then and I thank you again. Stay safe.

edit: Even if you can't help with the other car, just let me know what you saw as it happened so unexpectedly and quickly, that I'm not sure how the whole thing happened. I think I was in the center lane going around 60 and they tried to get around me on the right, but it is all a guess really. I just know it was loud, I sped up and the car tried to spin and a dark car went barreling past on my right skidding. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Glad you weren't hurt. I wouldn't expect much for prosecution. Even if they find the vehicle, you can't prove who was driving. Somebody would have to admit to it. But if they can find the vehicle, they will be held responsible for the damages.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Good thing you weren't injured, but I hate when this happens. Happened to my brother on an overpass in Duson, never caught the jackass. Are there any cameras before/after where the accident occurred? I hope they get busted, but it's not likely IMO.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Where Yat Gen Mills
    Good to hear your OK. I'd go back to the scene look at the pieces parts left on the ground. Hopefully it wasn't cleaned up. If it was then locate the tow truck & driver for pieces. Take lots of pics to document that the parts were at the scene and not planted. Pick up what's left and start some detective work. OEM parts will have a mfg logo & engineering #. Headlights & parking lights Are good for part #s. Bumper cover is good for color.
    If you find a mfg part no, Go to a local dealer to get the model & year of car. Once you know make model & color you can go to LEO & ask the local body shops & junk yards if they seen this car.
    I hope this helps you & you get the SOB off the road.

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    That's awful, but thankfully you have your life and health.I wasn't around, but I wish the absolute best for you. As for the person who did it, I hope it weighs heavily on their conscience and makes them think about correcting their driving style, before they DO kill someone.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    That's awful, but thankfully you have your life and health.I wasn't around, but I wish the absolute best for you. As for the person who did it, I hope it weighs heavily on their conscience and makes them think about correcting their driving style, before they DO kill someone.

The problem is either they do not have a conscience or it was put on a self because of drugs and/or alcohol. Glad your OK.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    thanks for the advise. I saw parts from a few different cars in that are as I drove by slowly yesterday, but ultimately I think you guys are right, I won't be able to prove much. I'll look again on my way to work tonight, maybe I see something that looks pertinent. As far as the other driver, I have gotten away with some very stupid and wrong stuff in my past and it has changed my behavior in the future due to it weighing on my conscience. Sometimes years later. Hopefully this will happen to them. I figure there are cameras in that area, there seem to be cameras everywhere. Does anyone know how to access footage? At the least it would be interesting to me to watch it, I've never been rear ended that hard while moving forward so fast, I'd like to see how well I reacted.

The more I think about it, I do see the hopelessness of it. My wife was hit a couple years back, and she followed the car all the way back to the person's apartment, talking to 911 the whole way. The police arrived, and the other driver just stonewalled that it didn't happen, even though her paint was on my wife's car in the damaged area and vice versa. It did not take CSI to see how the accident happened, but the police told my wife there was nothing they could do, as it's her word against theirs and there is no camera footage.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I hope I'm wrong but this almost sounds like something the democrats would often do with cars they'd just stolen. If that's the case then you'd likely have recourse to the vehicle owner but the driver has probably long checked into free emergency care for tripping at a business because it their injuries.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I hope they get caught.

I had one drive into the back of me on I-10 and speed off a few New Years Eves ago. It really sucks.

I called 911 and couldn't get anyone on the phone. Awesome.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    I hope they get caught.

I had one drive into the back of me on I-10 and speed off a few New Years Eves ago. It really sucks.

I called 911 and couldn't get anyone on the phone. Awesome.

Food for thought, I have BRPD, LSP, Livingston sheriff, Denham city and many other police non emergency numbers programed into my phone so I can call them and not tie up a 911 line in cases like this incident. No one was hurt, the driver was gone, and there was no danger, it really didn't matter if I talked to someone RIGHT THEN! FWIW, I got through within a couple rings, these lines may be less busy than 911.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    I hope I'm wrong but this almost sounds like something the democrats would often do with cars they'd just stolen. If that's the case then you'd likely have recourse to the vehicle owner but the driver has probably long checked into free emergency care for tripping at a business because it their injuries.

I would feel bad going after the vehicle owner in a case like that, My car is only worth around $1000 in monetary terms. It's the driver I want to punish.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Food for thought, I have BRPD, LSP, Livingston sheriff, Denham city and many other police non emergency numbers programed into my phone so I can call them and not tie up a 911 line in cases like this incident. No one was hurt, the driver was gone, and there was no danger, it really didn't matter if I talked to someone RIGHT THEN! FWIW, I got through within a couple rings, these lines may be less busy than 911.

With the Lafayette City Police, I've had a watch commander tell me to call 911 in a non emergency, like that was the only way to get LEO dispatched.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom