Hornady LNL OCL problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    When loading 9mm on my LNL press I am getting a variance in my OCL up to 8 thousands of on inch. It is set to run at 1.169" but I will get anywhere between 1.164 to 1.172. I have cleaned the dies and lubed the cases and still get the variance. The odd thing is it does not do this when loading .45's. I have contacted Hornady and am waiting for a reply. I though I would throw this out to see if anyone has any suggestions for a fix.

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    I'm sure you have, but keep an eye on your shell plate to make sure that it's not loosening up on you. Also, make sure it's not warped. Try one at a time in the same position and check them. You shouldn't be having any issues with consistency.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Back the die out until it is not crimping at all. Reset your COL. Run some ammo though your press. If the variance goes away, as I suspect it will, you need to separate your seating and crimping into two operations.

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Try one at a time in different positions on the shell plate and see if they are still the same. Make sure you're not binding anywhere especially the powder measure.
    Also, what bullets are you using?

Last edited:

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I get .010 variance on my press. What I found is that when I have a case that is a little harder to resize is when I get the most variance. Using a good case lube will help keep the resizing more consistent therefore COL is more consistent. But .008 to me is not a lot to worry about. IMO

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I get what you are saying but for pistol does 0.008" really matter? What effect does it have on accuracy and can you shoot the difference? If it affects loading / reliability then that's a different animal. Also bullets differ from bullet to bullet. In rifle ammo even on a single stage press OAL will vary, base to ojive is the important measurement, that stays at +/- 0.001" with my rifle loads.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Am I being a little cautious about the OCL? I reload to mostly shoot paper and steel and not long distances so I don't really notice a accuracy difference. Is .008 acceptable for pistol rounds without getting in to much pressure change?

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    You are being too OCD about the COL. It just doesn't matter. Try SHOOTING them and seeing what you get.
    Are you shooting at over 100 yards? Are you shooting under 1" at 50 yards?
    Have you measured the OAL of your bullets? Have you measured the COL of factory rounds? Has any manual said anything about being concerned with such small deviations for COL?
    Pressure change: This all began over a KB with 9x19. One of the companies did tests and reported, in an article, that a round that produced 33-34ksi at standard COL would go up to 60ksi when the bullet was pushed into the case 0.25"--meaning that you should be worrying a lot more about bullet set-back than COL. After seating a bullet, try to push the bullet deeper in the case using finger/thumb pressure and reject any round where the bullet moves.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom