how can i get a sawed of shotgun barrel less than 18'' and still be legal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2016
    denham springs louisiana
    hollo im new to this site so forgive me if i posted this to the wrong form page i rarely use forms but here's my question i have a double barrel shotgun and i have always love the look of a sawed off coach gun or as iv herd it called before a leopard shotgun so i measured my double barrel to the legal length and it just dosnt look right the barrel is still way to long i love the look at 10'' it looks perfect at 10'' but i know that is highly illegal i'v herd of this permit you can get for $200 but i really know nothing about it i am 21 years old could i get this permit to get a 10'' barrel or do you have to be older whats the average time it takes to get one how do i apply for it dose it take more money then $200 is it temporary or is it permanent and do they do a background check my record is clean not a single crime or felony on it but i just want to know everything about it before i go apply for it thanks so much for your help hope to talk to you soon

josh

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    First off, welcome to Bayoushooter.

Second, it is not highly illegal, it is highly regulated.

Any barrel shorter than 18" would be considered a SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun) and would require a $200 Tax Stamp and registration with the ATF.

The $200 tax stamp is a one time fee that you pay, you must fill out the required paperwork, you will have a background check performed, and you will either need to set up a Trust or have your Chief Law Enforcement Officer sign off on the paperwork.

You may want to contact JCcypress if you are truly interested in NFA/Class III items. His member profile can be found here: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/member.php?22086-JCcypress

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2016
    denham springs louisiana
    thanks so much i cant wait to save the money up to do this is i pass it all but if i pay the stamp and somehow i dont pass it maby because of some kind of paper work was filed out wrong or something els like that will i have to pay the $200 to do it again or do they give me back my money

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    thanks so much i cant wait to save the money up to do this is i pass it all but if i pay the stamp and somehow i dont pass it maby because of some kind of paper work was filed out wrong or something els like that will i have to pay the $200 to do it again or do they give me back my money

Contact JCcypress. I've provided you the link to his profile, where you can send him a Private Message.

Applying for NFA/Class III firearms is not difficult, but it's not as easy as buying a Polar Pop from Circle K either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2016
    denham springs louisiana
    i know im so sorry about that i have learning disorders and i was kicked out of school in the 4rth grade and did home schooling for about 2 years and then my little sister was born and she had some birth defectes to where she was in th hosptl for months on in for a 3rd of her life with a trake and a feeding tube so there was no time to home school me any more im working on my ged but its just a slow prosses because of my learning disorders but im working hard on it so please dont report me for the grammar again im so sorry about ill start putting my learning disorders in my post

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Shotguns require an 18 1/2" barrel, not 18". Anything barrel shorter than 18 1/2" would be considered a SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun) and would require a $200 Tax Stamp and registration with the ATF.

This is incorrect.
    If that were true then just about all retailers are selling SBSs illegally.
    The minimum legal length is 18".
    https://www.atf.gov/file/58196/download
    Some folks keep the length a bit longer just to be on the safe side, but 18" is the minimum legal length without NFA paperwork.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    First off, welcome to Bayoushooter.

Second, it is not highly illegal, it is highly regulated.

Shotguns require an 18 1/2" barrel, not 18". Anything barrel shorter than 18 1/2" would be considered a SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun) and would require a $200 Tax Stamp and registration with the ATF.

The $200 tax stamp is a one time fee that you pay, you must fill out the required paperwork, you will have a background check performed, and you will either need to set up a Trust or have your Chief Law Enforcement Officer sign off on the paperwork.

You may want to contact JCcypress if you are truly interested in NFA/Class III items. His member profile can be found here: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/member.php?22086-JCcypress

This is incorrect.
    If that were true then just about all retailers are selling SBRs illegally.
    The minimum legal length is 18".
    https://www.atf.gov/file/58196/download
    Some folks keep the length a bit longer just to be on the safe side, but 18" is the minimum legal length without NFA paperwork.

Spleen is correct. 18" is the requirement.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    hollo im new to this site so forgive me if i posted this to the wrong form page i rarely use forms but here's my question i have a double barrel shotgun and i have always love the look of a sawed off coach gun or as iv herd it called before a leopard shotgun so i measured my double barrel to the legal length and it just dosnt look right the barrel is still way to long i love the look at 10'' it looks perfect at 10'' but i know that is highly illegal i'v herd of this permit you can get for $200 but i really know nothing about it i am 21 years old could i get this permit to get a 10'' barrel or do you have to be older whats the average time it takes to get one how do i apply for it dose it take more money then $200 is it temporary or is it permanent and do they do a background check my record is clean not a single crime or felony on it but i just want to know everything about it before i go apply for it thanks so much for your help hope to talk to you soon

josh

Read this. It may be of interest to you.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members