how long should you wait before you move to the next person in line for a sale.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yamarider450

EO1(SCW)U.S NAVY SEABEE
    Rating - 92.3%
    11   1   1
    Jun 1, 2008
    Slidell, la
    How long should you wait for a response when you are selling something and you have a line wanting what you have? So here is the deal. I have received several PM's and the first person bowed out due to work related reasons and I have pm the next in line but it has been 24 hrs do I move on to the next or what?

I did look in the rules and nothing there unless I missed it.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In reality, I would move on unless you have some reason not too. Some guys work off shore or in another manor in which they cannot reply right away, but they will probably understand that you have to look out for yourself and complete the sale.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That sounds like a personal call. Not everyone gets on BS everyday (hard to believe, I know) so if PM is your only means of contact I'd wait a little longer if you're concerned about ethics. That's why I like when people include their phone numbers.

Personally I'd do whatever you feel like doing. I definitely don't screw anyone over or step on any toes, but I don't play the dibsies, etc games either. Easiest deal that puts $ in my hand wins, especially if you have several people interested.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Personally I would send the next person in line a pm saying just what you said and if the first person doesnt respond in a couple of days they have dibs and ask them if they are still interested in doing the deal then.

yamarider450

EO1(SCW)U.S NAVY SEABEE
    Rating - 92.3%
    11   1   1
    Jun 1, 2008
    Slidell, la
    thats what i have done and they had said no problem they can come on tuesday. The person I am waiting on has not checked back in since friday when he had made his post .

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Money talks.........;)

If someone were to want something I had offered up for sale, and was not serious enough to propmptly get me some kind of contact information, I wouldn't pass up a sure sale. I understand trying to be courteous, but if there was no deposit, and I had someone "cash in hand" wanting to buy ASAP, I'd have to go with that. You never know, it may be a case of buyers remorse, loss of interest, or whatever be the reason, your buyers waiting in line may have found something else in the meantime.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I have waited a couple of months for a down payment - the guy seemed sincere and was having some money woes. I was cash flush (rare, but it happens) and in no rush. Then again, I've had others make a firm commitment to buy and stall me for a week and find a better deal by a few dollars and just back out. And I've missed sales due to these back-outs. But I do not do this for a living or count on the money for income. I just sell something to buy a new toy. If I needed the money for living expenses, I'd sell on GunBroker or AuctionArms.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I would suggest that in the ad ask for a phone number to accompany their PM if they state they want to buy your item. That way you know they are serious and both of you can call each other for arrangements. If no # and delays occur then go on to the next, so on. I always let the others in line know about a pending deal and that they will be contacted if the deal doesn't take place.

Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    It all depends on what was said when He pmed you.If he said I want it,heres my phone #,,that is great.If he just says I want it and 3 days later ,no response,Id sell it.Most everyone I know doesn't say Ill take it lightly.They are normally serious buyers.They wouldn't waste their time pming you if they weren't.I always put my phone # and I also make sure I email them.If I really want a gun,I don't stop until I get it.That is the fun of the hunt.I enjoy the hunt sometimes more than the gun I bought.I had same thing happen before.I told the guy Ill take it. Two weeks later he finally shows up(we wont mention names cause he thinks his poo poo don't stink on here) but he finally said I sold it.He never went in any form of a line and I'm sure a lot of people noticed that and more than likely will never buy a gun from him.Bad business.First come ,first serve in order.Not take whoever and whenever.There has to be some boundary's on selling and buying.Most are common sense,but not everyone has sense.SO you have to overlook those people accordingly.It sounds like you have given the guy plenty of time.I would email and check again.But 3 days,,That is more than enough time to wait.He will find another one or he just isn't bright enough to be buying guns in the first place.Long as you go in order and msg everyone the way you said you did,your are doing better than some do,Id proceed on.Nice of you to even be concerned.As you saw,some posted fkem,whoever closest and has cash.That is wrong in every way.IN ORDER...you doing great.

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I dont wait.
    I understand people dont get on here all day everyday but If you showed interest in something for sale its your responsibility to follow up on it. Especially if you sent a pm.

Money talks and the first one to show up with it wins

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    You've waited long enough. If someone hasn't gotten back with you they're more than likely not going to buy it. Sell to the next person. I've been on both sides of this. Recently someone posted in the want ads they wanted to purchase something. I made an offer and they asked to see pictures. I sent pictures and the person never bothered to send a reply. That's shitty business.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    As long as you feel is right. You are the seller and they will get over it! If your purchasing something you need to be on top of your stuff. I don't say I will take it unless I have the money on hand and ready to buy I understand some people need cash at that moment and I don't feel like it is ok to make them wait until your next pay day etc.

Just my .02

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    If its a friend or someone whom I have done business with before in the past, I will usually wait for them to come up with some cash or some other arrangement. Beyond that, its first come first serve.

yamarider450

EO1(SCW)U.S NAVY SEABEE
    Rating - 92.3%
    11   1   1
    Jun 1, 2008
    Slidell, la
    thanks for everyone's response I was just trying to be considerate. I have waited for a response now for 30 hrs along with sending pm and emails to that person.

Top Bottom