How many ammo hoarders....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robinfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Ponchatoula, La
    IMG_20121105_183931.jpg

My reason to spend extraordinary amounts of time in my ballistic laboratory. Yep, that hardware bin is in my right heel.

I've cast and loaded thousands of rounds. I'd love to shoot some of them, but since I've been cleared to drive, Honey Island has only been open one weekend.

Fortunately, last October, (just before the election), I stockpiled, (I don't hoard), about 17K primers. I did have an issue finding some powder, but a Sponsor here was able to help me with that problem. I cast, so the only reason I'm short on bullets is that it's been raining so much lately.

I do shoot store bought .22lr, and am down under a brick of that. Otherwise, I really haven't felt this shortage much.

Maybe if y'all stop hammering those nails in your feet then y'all can get out and shoot. That looks painful

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Some people collect for the sake of collecting... Others shoot once in a while but never carry... Not all of us are that paranoid... I have some guns I have shot once or twice but I keep in the safe. Others I shoot often it just depends.. I generally don't think of it as protecting anyone.. For me it's more of a hobby trying to get the holes closer and closer together while I am farther and farther from the target.

I agree. Some folks buy guns to shoot and some buy them because they just like to collect them. I have respect for both.
    As far as ammo goes, you better buy when you can. Gotta respect the ones who want to own and have the money to spend.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I'm buying up as much ammo as I can afford. Filling ammo boxes is my new hobby. Actually I'm stopping at around 1000 rounds per caliber. I figure that's enough to last a while.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Like Ellis1958 said above, gonna keep at least a year of supplies on hand for now on.
    What! I had something useful to add! You're gonna kill my reputation.

My year of supplies thing started after BHO got elected the first time around. I had to pretty much limit my shooting to doing matches (no practice) and rimfire rifle for a good 6 months till the supply chain filled. Never will I allow myself to be put in that position again.

A side benefit of stocking ahead is that during 'normal' times you can catch sales on primers and powder and restock at that time. Or make one big order for say 6 months of components and save on the hazmat charges. Sure the hit on the pocketbook is noticeable but I'll go for months without spending a dime on ammo and still shoot 1,000 rounds a month.

Take it a step further and take note of what the Mormons suggest. Keep a years supply of food on hand. One firearm podcast I listen to has a member who has been off work for an injury for 3 months. Having the food on hand has made his situation a yawner. When you don't have to worry where your next meal is coming from you can focus on getting healed and back to work.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Shortly after the Newtown incident I went out and bought 3 - 4 more boxes of each caliber I own, of which all are the "popular" calibers. I used to like to shoot but am now just sitting on what I have until the supply chain picks back up.

acman1997

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    My take is this. If you wanna buy to shoot or hoard it doesnt matter. You should try to do both. Everyone imo should have a stock of ammo for every firearm they have just in case. In case of what? Dont know. Shortages, zombies, radical governments, etc. It's everyones right to buy and stock as much as they want. I personally dont care what you do with it once you buy it. But i do like the idea of my fellow sportsman/shooters to have a stockpile ready if needed. I have what i consider a reasonable amount of ammo on hand and only shoot once a month or so. Am i hoarding? I dont think so. Firearm owners should stock up when supply is good so that times like these arent so bad. I think hoarding is a good thing! Just my 2 cents.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    It's Ironic that by threatening a gun ban to "get guns off the street" the government has started a buying frenzy. There are more guns out there now than ever before, and the industry is booming so fast they can't keep up. It happens every time, and it will ease up in time.

In the end there will be more NRA members, and more shooters than ever. Self defense, and safety training should take off too.

Gotta love it.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    My take is this. If you wanna buy to shoot or hoard it doesnt matter. You should try to do both. Everyone imo should have a stock of ammo for every firearm they have just in case. In case of what? Dont know. Shortages, zombies, radical governments, etc. It's everyones right to buy and stock as much as they want. I personally dont care what you do with it once you buy it. But i do like the idea of my fellow sportsman/shooters to have a stockpile ready if needed. I have what i consider a reasonable amount of ammo on hand and only shoot once a month or so. Am i hoarding? I dont think so. Firearm owners should stock up when supply is good so that times like these arent so bad. I think hoarding is a good thing! Just my 2 cents.

I do agree to a certain extent. I just know there are people just buying everything they can knowing they will never shoot 5% of it

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I've actually bought and shot more rounds in the last 2 months than any other 2 months I can think of. I think the UPS man is going to get back problems.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Let's talk about the real problem here. Ammo companies should have ramped up production in anticipation to this to capitalize on the giant payday. Their bad business sense has made most ammo scarce. If the red states can clear the country out of ammo in a month then they failed as a industry IMHO.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Let's talk about the real problem here. Ammo companies should have ramped up production in anticipation to this to capitalize on the giant payday. Their bad business sense has made most ammo scarce. If the red states can clear the country out of ammo in a month then they failed as a industry IMHO.

Demand is pretty stable on ammo Most of the time. To ramp up production would mean longer shifts, more employees, more machines, more factory space, more everything. For a temporary spike it just doesn't make sense. Even if you could just run your employees and machines ragged to increase production, you still have to order more raw materials. It costs money to hold that stuff in inventory, what if you order 500% more materials and guess wrong? Now your supply chain is all messed up (Bullwhip effect) And your holding cost just went through the roof.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I visited a friend the other day and saw that he had over 1,000,000 rounds of match .22 ammo and 100,000 rounds of .30-06 M2. I wouldn't even begin to guess how much components he has. His attitude is that he wants to be able to shoot what he wants, when he wants and wants his son to be able to do that into the future. He also has a 500 yard range in his back yard. Anytime he sees a deal on ammo, he picks it up. He didn't run out and buy anything when the panic started. I am sure he just smiled to himself. The way ammo has appreciated, he could probably retire on his supplies, but then what would he shoot? :) I cannot imagine why you would only have a couple boxes for each gun. Keeping a year's supply based upon an active shooting schedule should be minimum and that is certainly not hoarding. Keeping enough on hand so that you don't have to buy when prices are high or curtail your shooting schedule is just smart.

Dan

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I visited a friend the other day and saw that he had over 1,000,000 rounds of match .22 ammo and 100,000 rounds of .30-06 M2. I wouldn't even begin to guess how much components he has. His attitude is that he wants to be able to shoot what he wants, when he wants and wants his son to be able to do that into the future. He also has a 500 yard range in his back yard. Anytime he sees a deal on ammo, he picks it up. He didn't run out and buy anything when the panic started. I am sure he just smiled to himself. The way ammo has appreciated, he could probably retire on his supplies, but then what would he shoot? :) I cannot imagine why you would only have a couple boxes for each gun. Keeping a year's supply based upon an active shooting schedule should be minimum and that is certainly not hoarding. Keeping enough on hand so that you don't have to buy when prices are high or curtail your shooting schedule is just smart.

Dan

Is it the same person I know in the Walker area?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Is it the same person I know in the Walker area?

Nope.

Big surprise for the government. How many billions of rounds of ammunition do you think are in US civilian hands?

Can anyone belive that there is a bill pending in California making possession of more than 500 rounds of ammo illegal?

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La

Dan

I can only aspire! :D

Top Bottom