How to clean a Garfish

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That is how it's done. But those two are retarded in the fact that a large C-clamp holding the tail IS a lot easier and certainly safer for the dude holding the gar by the head. He almost got whacked when he re-positioned the gar.

I caught so many of those and had so much fun.

And yes folks, they are good eating.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I literally punch a hole in the tail or draw rope throgh the jaw bone and hang them from a tree and use a machete to hack off the armor, center of spine first, then pliers and fillet knife to attempt to pull off the armored sides. They are dead when they are getting in the boat thanks to a lead pipe. I'm talking 5-6.5 ft alligator garfish caught in Cameron/rollover.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I literally punch a hole in the tail or draw rope throgh the jaw bone and hang them from a tree and use a machete to hack off the armor, center of spine first, then pliers and fillet knife to attempt to pull off the armored sides. They are dead when they are getting in the boat thanks to a lead pipe. I'm talking 5-6.5 ft alligator garfish caught in Cameron/rollover.

Trying to re-invent the wheel, eh? :D

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Trying to re-invent the wheel, eh? :D

Negative the hanging from the tree puts good tension on the fish when hacking with the machete, AND keeps your got danged hand away from the blade. A lot more safer than the technique featured in the video. Machete + swinging towards hand/fingers = pas Bon.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Negative the hanging from the tree puts good tension on the fish when hacking with the machete, AND keeps your got danged hand away from the blade. A lot more safer than the technique featured in the video. Machete + swinging towards hand/fingers = pas Bon.

Hacking from the tail end forward is undoubtedly (from experience), the easiest (because of skin structure), and cleanest (less meat damage), way. I guess I am not feeling the hanging from head direction.

Top Bottom