How to cook tuna steaks ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My son is bringing me some fresh tuna steaks from their fishing trip this weekend . I've never cooked tuna . How should I go about this ?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'd say two minutes on each side. But I like mine super rare. You want a very pink center. Spec sears his just until the first quarter inch turns opaque. The only tuna I've had grilled that I liked was quick seared and served.

Well done tuna tastes like cat food. Marinate in a soy sauce based liquid, roll in sesame seeds, and grill. Slice thin, serve with a seaweed salad and more marinade for a dipping sauce. :)

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If it's cold (the tuna has been refrigerated), you probably want to set the tuna on the counter for a half hour before cooking. Quick searing on high heat on each side should be good. You want a very pink center as described above.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I also agree. Quick sear on the surface is all that is needed. If you cannot eat that rare, finish off in the oven so you don't overcook it. But to me, anything past rare is overcooked with tuna.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I baste them in a combination of soy, sesame seed oil, a pinch of fish sauce, and ginger. I then coat them in sesame seeds and a lil pepper to give it almost a crust. I prefer to cook it on a hot skillet with just A lil oil. You drop it on there for just a few minutes on each side. You want it rare. After it cooks, cut it with the grain of the meat and let it cool. I usually serve it over baby spinach with a wasabi or ginger vinaigrette.

Last edited:

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Rare, raw, whatever. Cook it just like you would a steak. I usually marinate for a short time in olive oil, white wine, lemon joice. sprinklle with salt, pepper, and very small amount of garlic powder, then grill.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I baste them in a combination of soy, sesame seed oil, a pinch of fish sauce, and ginger. I then coat them in sesame seeds and a lil pepper to give it almost a crust. I prefer to cook it on a hit skillet with just A lil oil. You drop it on their for just a few minutes on each side. You want it rare. After it cooks, cut it with the grain of the meat and let it cool. I usually serve it over baby spinach with a wasabi or ginger vinaigrette.

I've never tried it at home, but this is one of my favorite dishes to order at restaurants. :drool:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Top it off with a bearnaise sauce. You won't be sorry you did.

Don't know how to make one from scratch? Use the dry mix packets, they will do the trick!

Want a real treat? If the tuna is very good quality (tabasco top red in color); cut small slivers and immerse into a good quality soy sauce and eat raw.

Last edited:

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Put some salt, pepper, lemon, in some melteted butter brush on, throw it on the grill for about 1:30 - 2 min per side and call it a day. Keep brushing butter/lemon mixture while its on the grill. Dont over cook it! Rare/mid rare is the way to go

bryan54

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Season with Zataran's Cajun mix and garlic powder. Put some olive oil in a black iron skillet until it starts to smoke. Cook abouty 2 minutes on each side.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    He just dropped off the fish . He showed me some pics of the trip . They slaughtered them . Weather and seas were perfect .
    They also speared some Amberjack too .

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    If it's cold (the tuna has been refrigerated), you probably want to set the tuna on the counter for a half hour before cooking. Quick searing on high heat on each side should be good. You want a very pink center as described above.

THIS is the correct answer, IMHO ! When I kept an offshore boat, we caught lots of blackfin and an occasional larger species.
    You want to sear both sides on a hot grill ONLY. Don't attempt to cook through-and-through or to time like a steak. Most tuna steaks will be about 1-1/2", anyway. Go ahead and sear them pretty well, though. It is perfectly OK to eat it raw, if you prefer.
    leVieux

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Man, Amberjack too??? That is also a great fish for the grill. You are DAMN lucky to have a friend like that!!!! Both are awesome and I guarantee that after you cook these babies, you will prefer that over steak! HmmmmHmmmmGooooood!!!

Top Bottom