How to fight a Causeway Bridge speeding ticket when it is an outright lie?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    29885098521_7239a1f66d_o.jpg
    It's ok the brilliant are often misunderstood by children.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Tell them to suck it up.

The speed limit is what it is. Go the limit and play ball, or get a ticket. The speed limit isn't something that is applicable only when a cop is around the corner. Sorry, I guess that is an infringement on your rights... Carry on.

My comment goes way back to the mid 90s, when I came around a corner from a 55 into a 30. I didn't slam on my brakes, I did what everyone does and let off the accelerator and began gently braking...WAY AHEAD of the metal grate bridge and the officer on the opposite side of the road near said bridge, just letting another motorist go from a stop. I was certainly down to 30 still way before the bridge, approached and crossed it at appropriate speed, all while watching him turn behind me without ever having turned his lights off from the previous stop. From all that distance away, he got me coming into the 30 from around the corner, at 52 JUST coming into the zone, and had the nerve to claim, in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer, that the speed drops that low, that quickly, because the bridge gets slick with condensation and is a hazard. He'd had ample time to observe that my speed decreased appropriately into the zone and that compliance was achieved, which is the ultimate goal of traffic enforcement. I'm a police officer myself, but that's chickensh!t speed-trapping, not common sense traffic enforcement.

I've since shared a table eating crawfish at Pat Taylor's LEAD with recent officers from Killian, who recognized the now retired guy when I described him, and they all agreed he was a d!ck. Just sayin'.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    My comment goes way back to the mid 90s, when I came around a corner from a 55 into a 30. I didn't slam on my brakes, I did what everyone does and let off the accelerator and began gently braking...WAY AHEAD of the metal grate bridge and the officer on the opposite side of the road near said bridge, just letting another motorist go from a stop. I was certainly down to 30 still way before the bridge, approached and crossed it at appropriate speed, all while watching him turn behind me without ever having turned his lights off from the previous stop. From all that distance away, he got me coming into the 30 from around the corner, at 52 JUST coming into the zone, and had the nerve to claim, in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer, that the speed drops that low, that quickly, because the bridge gets slick with condensation and is a hazard. He'd had ample time to observe that my speed decreased appropriately into the zone and that compliance was achieved, which is the ultimate goal of traffic enforcement. I'm a police officer myself, but that's chickensh!t speed-trapping, not common sense traffic enforcement.

I've since shared a table eating crawfish at Pat Taylor's LEAD with recent officers from Killian, who recognized the now retired guy when I described him, and they all agreed he was a d!ck. Just sayin'.

And that's the stuff I personally take exception to. But chances are he was told to do it by his boss who had been given the same orders. What ends would be achieved from this sort of non-sense short of collecting additional revenue?

JohnWebb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2016
    Cnada
    The defense would be that yes the ticket was written for an offence which didnt occur which should give suspicions to the validity of the actual offence. I'm not a lawyer however so may be completely wrong. If it were me I would just write a cheque
    and be done with it rather than pay a lawyer for this.

JohnWebb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2016
    Cnada
    The defense would be that yes the ticket was written for an offence which didnt occur which should give suspicions to the validity of the actual offence. I'm not a lawyer however so may be completely wrong. If it were me I would just write a cheque
    and be done with it rather than pay a lawyer for this.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With that being said, does anyone have any recommendation on a good camera? Any that record speeds with GPS? I know my radar detector has a GPS built into it and constantly shows my speed, but it'd be hard to get that on camera.

Garmin 35. Best reliable single purpose dash camera available on the market...not designed in China. I've been running a G20 for about 3 years now. Expensive as **** compared to the Chinese cameras, but Garmin is Garmin quality.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Garmin 35. Best reliable single purpose dash camera available on the market...not designed in China. I've been running a G20 for about 3 years now. Expensive as **** compared to the Chinese cameras, but Garmin is Garmin quality.

Or the Garmin 30. The Garmin 30 and 35 are essentially the same, except the 35 has a built-in GPS.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    memegenerator? lol amateur.

There is only one guy who could outdo me on this forum, and he's been banned for a while now.

I wasn't banned! ...this time. I've just had feces thrown into oscillator 5 or 6 times this year, so I've been busy.

This is now my first post in ~ a year - Howdy gents

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Please explain to me how the radar is calibrated by the officer with a tuning fork. I just want to be clear so the OP doesn't get the wrong information and you sound knowledgeable on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iu

Tuning Fork! Seismograph! What's the difference? :mamoru:

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    FYI, Stalker calibration isn't really hocus pocus, the oscillator just needs testing with a proper oscilloscope and replacement if it's out of spec.

It's actually very rare for one to go out of calibration. Most common cause is being exposed to excessive temperature shifts in a short time.

This is a very dumbed down diagram of your standard patrol radar system:
    figD1.gif

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    FYI, Stalker calibration isn't really hocus pocus, the oscillator just needs testing with a proper oscilloscope and replacement if it's out of spec.

It's actually very rare for one to go out of calibration. Most common cause is being exposed to excessive temperature shifts in a short time.

This is a very dumbed down diagram of your standard patrol radar system:
    figD1.gif
    What topics are you not near Masters-level in?

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What topics are you not near Masters-level in?

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

There are quite a few mechanical applications like oilfield systems that I haven't studied yet. Fairly solid grasp of electronics, automotive and information systems. There's lots of stuff I know I don't know, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Soon the robots and self driving vehicles will take over. I actually feel sorry for the Roscoes of the world sitting there just waiting for someone to drive through his speed trap but it just don't work anymore. No more tickets!! What will they do, what will they do? I guess until then we have to just nut up when we roll the dice and get the lights.

Top Bottom