Huh ? House Bill 520 ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampjockey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Cut Off, LA
    Found this in the Times picayune online this morning. Did I miss something here or perhaps I just don't have enough caffeine in my system yet, or perhaps a typo ? House Bill 520, Ivey: Would protect concealed carry permit holders over the age of 21 from prosecution for carrying their weapons in a concealed manner. :rolleyes:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    First, I'm not a lawyer. Second, I didn't stay at Motel 6 last night.

As I read it, the bill will eliminate concealed handgun permits. Any Louisiana resident that is over 21 and is not otherwise prohibited could legally carry a concealed handgun.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I don't understand it either. Just read the original bill a couple of times....I don't get it.
    ==============
    HLS 14RS-997 ORIGINAL
    Page 1 of 2
    CODING: Words in struck through type are deletions from existing law; words underscored
    are additions.
    Regular Session, 2014
    HOUSE BILL NO. 520
    BY REPRESENTATIVE IVEY
    WEAPONS/FIREARMS: Excludes carrying a concealed handgun from the crime of illegal
    carrying of weapons for certain persons
    1 AN ACT
    2 To enact R.S. 14:95(L), relative to the illegal carrying of weapons; to exempt certain
    3 Louisiana residents from the crime of illegal carrying of weapons if the firearm is a
    4 handgun; to provide for applicability; and to provide for related matters.
    5 Be it enacted by the Legislature of Louisiana:
    6 Section 1. R.S. 14:95(L) is hereby enacted to read as follows:
    7 §95. Illegal carrying of weapons
    8 * * *
    9 L. The provisions of Paragraph (A)(1) of this Section shall not apply to a
    10 Louisiana resident if all of the following conditions are met:
    11 (1) The Louisiana resident is at least twenty-one years of age or older.
    12 (2) The Louisiana resident is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under
    13 R.S. 14:95.1 or any federal law.
    14 (3) The firearm is a handgun which, for the purposes of this Subsection,
    15 means a type of firearm commonly referred to as a pistol or revolver originally
    16 designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and which is designed to fire or is
    17 capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition. The term "handgun" shall not include
    18 shotguns or rifles that have been altered by having their stocks or barrels cut or
    19 shortened

Ivey HB No. 520
    Abstract: Excludes La. citizens over the age of 21 from prosecution for carrying a
    concealed firearm if the firearm is a handgun and the person is not otherwise
    prohibited from possessing a firearm.
    Present law prohibits the carrying of a concealed firearm, and provides for criminal
    penalties.
    Proposed law creates an exception to present law for a La. resident who meets the following
    criteria:
    (1) The La. resident is at least 21 years of age or older.
    (2) The La. resident is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under any federal law
    or a state law which prohibits certain felons from possessing or concealing firearms.
    (3) The firearm is a handgun.
    Proposed law defines a "handgun" as a type of firearm commonly referred to as a pistol or
    revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and which is designed to
    fire or is capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition. The term "handgun" shall not include
    shotguns or rifles that have been altered by having their stocks or barrels cut or shortened.
    (Adds R.S. 14:95(L))
    https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=877920&n=HB520 Original

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    First, I'm not a lawyer. Second, I didn't stay at Motel 6 last night.

As I read it, the bill will eliminate concealed handgun permits. Any Louisiana resident that is over 21 and is not otherwise prohibited could legally carry a concealed handgun.

Wow...Duh...I think you hit it on the head. Thats it. I'll use the excuse that I haven't had enough caffeine yet.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    This is the same guy that sponsored HB 494 and now they are both in committee. I wonder if this is a companion bill to have the law removed or something. I emailed him and asked. I'll post response if he answers.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Interesting but what about reciprocity. I would like to not have to pay for a permit (which I shouldn't need anyway) but would like to be able to carry in AL and MS. AL has some odd rules if you don't have a permit....

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I may be wrong, but I thought the whole reason for having a concealed carry permit was to carry your weapon in a concealed manner.
    and hopefully soon you won't need anyone's permission to do so.

Interesting but what about reciprocity. I would like to not have to pay for a permit (which I shouldn't need anyway) but would like to be able to carry in AL and MS. AL has some odd rules if you don't have a permit....
    If for some reason Louisiana no longer offers the class for reciprocity reasons, I'm sure there will still be instructors offering Florida CCWs.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Basically, he's introduced two bills to allow people to carry concealed handguns without a permit. One bill makes it a constitutional right; the other simply eliminates concealed carry from being a crime. If either one passes, you would not need a permit while in state. You would likely want one, though, for reciprocity with other states. Vermont and Alaska have similar things as I recall.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sounds like it makes CC legal anywhere OC is legal.

That's pretty much the way I read it.

Also, upon further reflection, it seems to me that we would want the constitutional amendment version of this to pass. I say this because many, if not most, municipalities already have a local version of the current state law prohibiting unpermitted concealed carry. That would likely mean that those laws existed BEFORE the statewide pe-emption date, thereby creaing a patchwork of places around the state where concealed carry would still be illegal by local ordinance.

The only way the other version would be acceptable, it seems to me, would be to add language to it that explicitly nullifies any existing local ordinances banning unpermitted concealed carry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom