Hunter Kills Moose - FROM WAY DOWN TOWN!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't understand the time of flight issue isn't the bullet moving supersonic. Doesn't the bullet hit the animal before the sound reaches the animal. I thought we where just hearing the noise first because the camera is on our end so the noise reaches the microphone before the bullet hits the target. Simple physics....... Is this not true?

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I don't understand the time of flight issue isn't the bullet moving supersonic. Doesn't the bullet hit the animal before the sound reaches the animal. I thought we where just hearing the noise first because the camera is on our end so the noise reaches the microphone before the bullet hits the target. Simple physics....... Is this not true?

Yes. The bullet will reach the target before the sound. Speed of sound is approximately 1126 fps. A .223 bullet traveling at 2950 fps muzzle velocity will cover 600 yards in .73 seconds. The bullet is still traveling twice the speed of sound at that distance.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You could call in Arti and take out the whole herd of moose from farther out than that. That wouldn't make you a great hunter. Great marksmanship does not equate to being a great hunter. It was a good shot. I'd be much more impressed if he had swam up to it with a bow or even a .44 mag and taken it down at 20 yards.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You could call in Arti and take out the whole herd of moose from farther out than that. That wouldn't make you a great hunter. Great marksmanship does not equate to being a great hunter. It was a good shot. I'd be much more impressed if he had swam up to it with a bow or even a .44 mag and taken it down at 20 yards.

But little Greta was a chicken hunter! You don't just wake up one day and know how to track those feathered devils down with ease. Obvioulsy, Dad is the s**t!

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    You need to come out and shoot F-Open or FPR with us. With groups like that you'll keep them all in the 10 ring (6").

I haven't tried rifle competitions. I'm a handgunner, USPSA, ICORE, Steel, and I prefer revolvers. I'd like to try the rifle stuff, but I'm afraid the wind would kick my ass.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    My calculations:

1100 yards equals 3300 feet/5280 ft./mile x 1100 fps.sound div. by 29 deg. (air temp) cos sign of .375 all equals to
    a fried hot yam pie plus one biscuit= a nice little snack.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom