Hunting Hogs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Im about to start hunting hogs on friends/ family property, what i need is advice on which is the best green light, one I can mount to my 15" rail thats usable out to at least 200 yards.
    Next is a good cheap bait, one recipe is corn punch and water and let sour a few days.

What say you BS

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    IMG_0831.jpgIMG_0832.jpg

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Thinking about the LD, that way I can reach way out. I can see this costing me! lol
    An Envy 1 on one side and a LD on the other.
    My AR 10 already weighs a ton with the Vortex Razor and Omega, 12lbs

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Lights:
    There are tons of good hunting LED lights and either green or red will do for hogs. Don't spend less than $30. The only mandatory criteria is that your light be an LED, not a clear/white incandescent bulb shining through a green or red lens. LED bulbs generate the specific spectrum of light that is not noticeable to hogs. Not so with incandescent. I've lit up hogs 7-8 yards away with my green light and they never flinched (to my surprise). Was hunting with a buddy who did the same thing with his $9.99 light and scared the whole sounder off. The subsequent investigation found he had a cheap incandescent light with a green plastic lens. My light is kind of loud when it clicks on so if I bought again I would try and find something quieter although it has never presented a problem in the field.

Three cheap baits:
    Corn $6 for 40#;
    Store brand syrup for $2 (Molasses is the best but not necessary);
    Kool-Aid for $1 (grape or cherry).
    Hogs love anything sweet. I've used near rotten produce from my house with good success. Just thrown it around and the hogs will find it. It's really not brain science if you put your bait near (preferably ON) their trails. Sows typically have a few piglets with them and they wonder looking for chow. They will notice the buffet quickly enough. Big boars typically roam by themselves looking for female companionship. I find they are easier to pattern. If you find their trails drop your bait right on the trail. Use a post hold digger to put 25-30#s of corn in a 2-3' deep hole. That'll make your corn last longer. If you don't know where the hogs are, then you should sour the corn. Drop it in a 5 gal bucket with a packet of yeast and something cherry or grape flavored with some liquid (I use a 3 liter bottle of store brand soda). The cheap stuff usually has a higher sugar content. Let is sit for a few days. When you take the lid off the bucket you should almost throw up from the smell. If not, let it sit for a few more days. 4-5 days usually does it. The strong stench will attract any down-wind hogs, so study wind patterns in relation to your shooting lanes. Don't mind coons eating any of your corn cause hogs see coon activity as a sign of safety, so unless the coons are ripping you off daily let them eat. Add some diesel to the corn bisque to keep everything but hogs away.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    It is permitted but during deer season you have to contact local law enforcement 24 hours in advance to let them know the area you will be in (presumably so they don't think you are shining deer). Notifying law enforcement is not necessary outside of deer season.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    It is permitted but during deer season you have to contact local law enforcement 24 hours in advance to let them know the area you will be in (presumably so they don't think you are shining deer). Notifying law enforcement is not necessary outside of deer season.

I disagree. Night hunting is only permitted from Feb - Aug. You have to notify law enforcement anytime you go at night. From LDWF:

On private property, the landowner, or his lessee or agent with written permission and the landowner’s contact information in his possession, may take outlaw quadrupeds (coyotes, armadillos and feral hogs), nutria or beaver during the nighttime hours from one-half hour after official sunset on the last day of February to one-half hour after official sunset the last day of August of that same year. Beginning Aug. 15, 2011, the method of such taking shall be with any legal firearm and may be with or without the aid of artificial light, infrared or laser sighting devices, or night vision devices. Anyone taking part in these activities at night is required to notify the parish sheriff’s office 24 hours in advance of any such hunt. http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/outlaw-quadrupeds

I'm wondering if this will be changed to include deer season this year. I know it's on the agenda and wondering if anyone knows whether it passed or not.

Last edited:

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Thanks JeeperCreeper. I misunderstood the regs. I double checked and your post is accureate re: nigh time hog hunting.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Trapping is a fun way to get um at night. It's a tough learning curve and I'm far from mastering it, but when you show up at 7am with coffee in one hand and a BEC biscuit in the other, and a hog is chained to a tree or trapped in a corral, man it sure is a quick and easy take. Beats slopping through the woods or marsh for hours stalking them. Those traps are working all night long while you sleep. Not a bad gig.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Theirs 5 traps out there that will be baited as soon as I can, and I thought about the boat hunting and would love to do it. So if anyone has a boat and can pick me up, (you need the boat for that) we can go :-) I have my rifle with me

Top Bottom