Hunting Lease/CLub info wanted

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    I figured I would ask early and just bump it after the season. Im looking for a decent hunting lease. Prefer one within 2 hours of Lafayette but would travel further for a really good lease/club.

Last edited:

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    you had sent me a PM earlier, but I'll just post the info here:

*Where I'm at it's not cheap and it's not easy - but we have potential.
    *We are in the hills of Harrisonburg, La. (Google search it, we are just a couple miles north west of town.)
    *My lease is 685 acres all surrounded by gravel roads, some blocked by our gates, one publicly accessible.
    *We are center in about 11,000 acres of forest and there is a landowner association all on the same page with our program (not exact, but the same idea).
    *NO DOGS will run the place.
    *Three Does (state limit) and two MATURE bucks allowed per year per member.
    *We have no power, no running water, etc. - my camp is set up pretty nice on a 12 volt system and a cistern, I have lights and water flowing just fine, heat and cooking is gas.
    *We are kid friendly. Most existing stands are two seaters, every member is expected to contribute stands.
    *Kids can shoot ANYTHING for a first deer, after that use some discretion and progress towards the rest of the club.
    *Kids hunt on parent's membership and deer allotment (no cutoff age est., be logical)

Lease costs: $1,000 per member/yr plus $200 per camp building
    That does NOT cover food plots (under $200 this past season) or other feed.
    We need a total of 9 members at that rate to pay the bills to the land owner (property taxes, road maintenance, insurance etc.)
    We are close to that number now, no guarantees that we will have the opening just yet but let me know if you are interested.

This club is new for the 08-09 season - we are still getting cozy with the landowner, so far so good. We are still establishing rules as they are needed, most are a "use your head" and the rule isn't needed type of thing. The current landowner has only been there for ~3-4 years or so, they used to run dogs all the time so we don't have much mature bucks. Our older bucks that are common on the place are 2 - 2 1/2 yrs old, we consider a mature buck to be 3 1/2 as of now, this may change to 4 1/2 but the rule of thumb is don't shoot the little ones, if you shoot a nice trophy no biggie - it's a trophy to you (as long as it gets mounted) and progress from there. There have been two mature 10 pointers caught on camera within 1/4 mile of our property, they are there and their genetics is outstanding (especially judging from the young 4 pointer I saw walking around with a nice tall rack this year).

Formermonroehand

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Dutchtown
    I am looking as well and have a couple of leads going. I will let you know what I find out. We need to sticky this thread at the top of the page so it will be easier to keep up with.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    head count as of the end of season it looks like we'll have 2 openings in the club.

NOW is the time to look at the property before everything starts growing back. Anyone interested, contact me and maybe we'll arrange a ride around on 4 wheelers or even a squirrel hunt or something in February.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I'm in a club in Holden, LA. which is about 25 miles east of Baton Rouge. We have about 3500 acres in 4 different parcels of land, 2 of which are across the street from each other. We are a dog hunting club during the dog season. Dues are due around May of the year and for sure by August. You do have to do at least 2 workdays and costs 500 to join unless this figure changes this year but shouldnt be much more. the work days are usually performed in September. If you cant do the workdays then its $100/day missed. There is one parcel by Springfield where we cant hunt dogs but that may be replaced with another parcel that we can dog hunt on. If you dont want to dog hunt then you can go to the other parcels that are not being hunted that day and still hunt there. I wont know till later how many openings maybe available but its usually a 5-10 each year due to turnover. the most people I've seen on the dog hunts was 30 to hunt on a 1500acre parcel. There are usaully 10-20 that come for the dog hunts. Family memberships include children that are still in school up to high school. You can bring a travel trailer and park it out there to camp out in--no charge---but no electricity or running water either except for the main camp in Holden with the well pump. PM me a name and number if interested and i'll forward it to the club president. PS on dog hunts--all deer taken cut up and the meat is divvied up to the participants of the club if you put your name on the meat list or you dont have to take any if you dont want it. If you shoot a rack--of course thats yours plus you'll probably get the tenderloins and a good portion of the back straps in your meat portion.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    PS there is a pond and 2 of the parcels border on the river for fishing in the off months and of course you can trail ride when it is not hunting season. During deer season you can park your ATV/truck on the main road but you do have to walk in to your stand. No joy riding during deer season.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    We had a decent season. Most deer are shot on the dog hunts. They tend to go nocturnal after a few still hunt weekends. A big eight point rack was taken still hunting that had a 15.5" inside spread and a big 12 point was hit by a truck on interstate after leaving our lease and running across the road. The new Dodge ram pickup had to be towed afterward with the buck in the back bed.
    I'll know later in the spring or summer how many openings we will have . There is still small game and turkey hunting season coming up for current members.
    There are a couple of camps with bunks in them if you want to take advantage of the accomadations. I would prefer to pitch a tent myself.
    The low cost of membership in the lease precludes luxury accomadations ;)

Top Bottom