I got armadillo problems!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Manouche

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    ascension parish
    I bought a have a heart trap and caught armadillos everynight for 3 nights but they all busted out the trap! The last 2 I saw trapped in the middle of the night and was going to relocate them in the morning. Brought the trap back to the store and got my money back. I can't use a lethal trap b/c of my pets. Any suggestions?

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    call the port Vincent hardware store (225-698-3884) and ask them the name brand of the "have a heart" type trap that they sell. it's built like a tank and I have captured two coons at a time in it and once a pit bull (yes I let it go). no escapes. I have never thought of using it for armadillos. what do you use to lure them into a trap?

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    How did you get them to go in the trap? As far as I know they will only eat tubers and food they dig up themselves. I've seen them completely ignore potatos, apples, persimmons, etc. laying on top the ground. Curious to know here too.

Last edited:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Hav-a-heart makes different size traps go up to the next size, I caught a 25-30 pound Bobcat in one he was one pissed off ***** ,...but he didnt get out.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    A .45acp stops them no matter where you hit them.

Yet they eat snakes. Find a group of armadillos in an area and it is because they get good meals on snakes.

Had some on my farm and never saw a snake. Got tired of their nightly digging and shot them. Within a couple of weeks, we were seeing snakes. Have not set foot on the farm in over four years so not sure if more armadillos came back or the snakes took over the place. Either way, I do not intend to go back down there any time soon.

Mr Manouche

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    ascension parish
    I staked some 8ft fence boards into the ground to act as a funnel into the door of the trap. Armadillos are stupid and just bounce along the boards until they are trapped as long as you put it on there nightly 'route'. But I think Im dealing with Armadillahzillah. I'll talk with port vincent hardware tomorrow. Thanks bwalke1!

Mr Manouche

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    ascension parish
    How did you get them to go in the trap? As far as I know they will only eat tubers and food they dig up themselves. I've seen them completely ignore potatos, apples, persimmons, etc. laying on top the ground. Curious to know here too.

I staked some 8ft fence boards into the ground to act as a funnel into the door of the trap. Armadillos are stupid

Mr Manouche

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    ascension parish

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    NEVER HEARD OF A BULLET RICHOCHOTING OFF AN ARMADILLO; Thru the last 45-50 years I have shot 100s of them with a 22 rifle; they will jump up about 3' and run a couple feet before dead. Years later went to 243 or 22-250 from a couple hundred yards, nothing left but red everywhere it was standing. And yes they are almost deaf and can only see a couple feet in front of itself; with a good pair of leather gloves we could walk up behind the and grab them by the tail, If he was headed into a hole you had a load trying to pull them out; Cheap weekend entertainment for kids We would fill up the back of and old army jeep and bring them to some black folks who loved to est the,

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I staked some 8ft fence boards into the ground to act as a funnel into the door of the trap. Armadillos are stupid and just bounce along the boards until they are trapped as long as you put it on there nightly 'route'. But I think Im dealing with Armadillahzillah. I'll talk with port vincent hardware tomorrow. Thanks bwalke1!

I think this is the brand they sell, mine is in the attic, I will check to make sure.

http://piedpipertraps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=13

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Might be time to take a road trip.
    OSBUsoI.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members